F1's greatest drivers

Shearergol

I don't call the '84 Toleman or the '93 McLaren the best cars on the grid. And Senna did his own contracts and 'raced' his team-mates (particualrly Prost).

Schumacher isn't in the same league IMO...

90391[/snapback]

I think she was referring to your last point, about getting better with pressure.

You actually are an anorak though aren't you ;)

90394[/snapback]

I only remember once Senna fucking it up under pressure - Brazil '94 and even then they said the car was absolute dogshit to drive...

As for the anorak thing, I've followed F1 since I was 4 so I have knowledge in it, yes....

90398[/snapback]

No, you're not grasping this one yet are you.

Her full sentence should read...

"greatest drivers should improve under pressure, like Senna" :D

90411[/snapback]

<_<

I don't call the '84 Toleman or the '93 McLaren the best cars on the grid. And Senna did his own contracts and 'raced' his team-mates (particualrly Prost).

90391[/snapback]

I think she was referring to your last point, about getting better with pressure.

90394[/snapback]

I only remember once Senna fucking it up under pressure - Brazil '94 and even then they said the car was absolute dogshit to drive...

As for the anorak thing, I've followed F1 since I was 4 so I have knowledge in it, yes....

90398[/snapback]

No, you're not grasping this one yet are you.

Her full sentence should read...

"greatest drivers should improve under pressure, like Senna" :D

90411[/snapback]

<_<

90421[/snapback]

LOL..Gol your're so patient!

My fault, sorry craig..i should have highlighted your bit about 'improve under pressure' then followed on with my comment :blush:

90391[/snapback]

90394[/snapback]

90398[/snapback]

Didn't he also put a McLaren into the barriers, just before the tunnel enterance at Monaco once, whilst way out in front?

Seem to remember rather than going back to the team garage he simply walked home to his appartment.

The problem with 'greatest' is comparing eras. I would go for (in no particular order) Senna, Jim Clark, Tazio Nuvolari and Gilles Villeneuve (although I openly admit to bias on the last one).

I was going to mention the Monaco incident but changed my mind. He wasn't under pressure in that race, he was absolutely miles ahead of Prost and actually had a lapse of concentration and twatted the barrier. That's what pissed him off so much and led him to fuck off to his appartment for the next 3 days...

Senna under pressure at Monaco was 1992 when in the closing stages, he had Mansell breathing down his exhaust pipe in a far superior car....

Senna never put a foot wrong - Schumacher in those type of incidents (particularly Adelaide '94 and Jerez '97 cracked totally...)

Although I know you're a big fan, I think you're undervaluing Gilles there - he was only in the sport for 5 years and with the exception on 1979, always drove a shite car but still transformed it into something magical...

The bloke was a driving genius, if you could put him, Senna & Clark in the same machinery with all 3 at their prime there wouldn't be much in it IMO

Don't know enough about F1 or motorsport generally to comment, but I thought this at the weekend was quite interesting:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,1699565,00.html

90250[/snapback]

Not much of a motorsport fan myself, but I was interested reading that too.

No mean feat to do it on both sides of the atlantic in different types of racing.