F1 favourite drivers

Smooth Operator

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We try and cast a few pearls of wisdom before swine on here y'know

91345[/snapback]

Aye, the exact position (down to the second) of a terraced house Ayrton Senna used to rent will provide all of us with after dinner anecdotes for years to come :lol:

Senna Drive is in Towcester (village next to Silverstone). They've named the whole estate after Grand Prix drivers, amongst the other roads there's Mansell Drive and Coulthard Close....

Nelson Piquet

Nikki Lauder

And if you ever get the chance to actually watch footage of him, Fangio could do things with a car the current drivers wouldn't even be able to start.

But all of them weren't a patch on Juha Kankannen at his peak in the WRC.

Edited by sammynb

If you look at racing cars from the 50's they had tyres you'd be ashamed to put on a mountain bike these days, no suspension worth a toss and bloody great fire breathing engines - they must have been a nightmare to drive

If you look at racing cars from the 50's they had tyres you'd be ashamed to put on a mountain bike these days, no suspension worth a toss and bloody great fire breathing engines - they must have been a nightmare to drive

92157[/snapback]

Although they accelerated slower, the tops speeds weren't far off the ones today iirc. Radio rental!

Many '50s GP drivers prefered not to wear seatbelts. They reckoned it was better to be thrown clear than trapped in the wreckage.

92477[/snapback]

:lol:

Moss said that he wished he had been thrown from the car when he crashed at Goodwood and was nearly killed...

Think Gilles Villeneuve was proof that being thrown from the car was not a good thing!

It certainly looks the business. The only problem I can foresee it with the sponsors. Logos don't stand out so well on reflective metallic colours. Do you remember Jordan tried a gold livery when they started their deal with Benson & Hedges? After a few races they switched to black on yellow.

It certainly looks the business. The only problem I can foresee it with the sponsors. Logos don't stand out so well on reflective metallic colours. Do you remember Jordan tried a gold livery when they started their deal with Benson & Hedges? After a few races they switched to black on yellow.

92744[/snapback]

yeah i remember that, though i liked the gold car.

I think the Mclaren looks stunning...in the pic. But not so sure out on the track where it will reflect lots of colours...might look 'messy' :D

92744[/snapback]

I think the Mclaren looks stunning...in the pic. But not so sure out on the track where it will reflect lots of colours...might look 'messy' :D

93007[/snapback]

0,,5~2710949,00.jpg

Obsessed with gingers tbh.

92744[/snapback]

I think the Mclaren looks stunning...in the pic. But not so sure out on the track where it will reflect lots of colours...might look 'messy' :(

93007[/snapback]

0,,5~2710949,00.jpg

Obsessed with gingers tbh.

93009[/snapback]

;)

not that ginner :D ewwwwww

92744[/snapback]

Agreed, although it looks good, the sponsors won't like it and I doubt we'll see that scheme exist beyond a year...

It all depends how it shows up on TV I guess.

From F1racing.net :

McLaren reveals new livery

11 February 2006

McLaren has revealed its new car livery today. The most striking feature is the car's surface coating, which is very reflective. The team is billing the shiny coating as unique to Formula One. The car is the same one the team has been running in testing recently in the team's traditional orange colours.

"A lot of research and months of work have gone into creating this unique chrome finish," explained McLaren Marketing Managing Director Ekrem Sami. "We are always looking at innovative ways to allow our sponsor partners to differentiate their brands from the competition through their partnership with the team and this unique livery is designed to be extremely photogenic. Team McLaren Mercedes had the highest audited 'Share of TV Voice' in 2005 - and we hope that this new identity will contribute to us retaining that status."

"When we created our previous livery in the mid nineties we established what we believed then was an innovative and groundbreaking new identity for McLaren Mercedes," continued Sami. "What we have launched today is as revolutionary and we hope it will be the foundation of the team's livery for many years to come."

The team can look back on a lot of success during the nine years of the former livery. At the very first race after its introduction in Melbourne in 1997 the team won and since then it has taken nearly 30 per cent of all Grands Prix victories.

The team took the opportunity to show the new livery to McLaren Group and Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines employees this evening. Two of the Groups better known personalities, drivers Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya, were both impressed with their cars' 'new clothes'.

"I have only seen illustrations of the new livery until now but they do it no justice," said Kimi. "It looks fantastic and should create a bit of a stir when we drive it on tracks around the world. If we can make the car as fast as it looks then we will be in good shape."

"Wow," said Juan Pablo. "What a beautiful looking car. I have obviously been testing the MP4- 21 quite a bit already but seeing the car like this is something else."

Certainly works nicely in the still photos....

55966.jpg