O'Neill tops England list

Gemmill

Anyone else think he won't fancy it? I can't see him really wanting the job given a) the media shit that comes with it (it's the last thing him and his family need), and :lol: his nationality.

Just what I think anyway.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think until his personal situation changes he'll be going nowhere. There was no crisis at Celtic, took a lot for him to walk away from that job, don't think any job would tempt him out until his wife either gets better or unfortunately passes away. I feel sorry for the bloke, he must be piss sick of this attention every time a biggish job becomes available.

Actually, the England job might suit him, international management isn't a day to day hands on job, and with his domestic problems, it might be the ideal way back into football.

I'm quite surprised that it appears that he's the favourite for the job tbh.

I don't really know why but I just got the feeling they would either go English (Allardyce, Curbishly etc) or foreign (Hiddink in particular) and I never got the feeling that O'Neill was a serious contender!

Anyone else think he won't fancy it?  I can't see him really wanting the job given a) the media shit that comes with it (it's the last thing him and his family need), and :lol: his nationality.

91163[/snapback]

What's his nationality got to do with it? Did it stop him managing Wycombe or Leicester?

Also, there would be more media attention attached to the England job.

Anyone else think he won't fancy it?  I can't see him really wanting the job given a) the media shit that comes with it (it's the last thing him and his family need), and :lol: his nationality.

91163[/snapback]

What's his nationality got to do with it? Did it stop him managing Wycombe or Leicester?

91244[/snapback]

Do Wycombe and Leicester represent England like? Jesus Renton, I would have thought the point I was making was fairly obvious. Do you think Alex Ferguson, as a proud Scot, would want the England job?

Have you got completely the wrong end of the stick and thought I was talking about whether he would fancy the Newcastle job?

91163[/snapback]

91244[/snapback]

I think it might be even harder as someone from another UK country...there is the needle that comes from local rivalry.

Anyone else think he won't fancy it?  I can't see him really wanting the job given a) the media shit that comes with it (it's the last thing him and his family need), and :razz: his nationality.

91163[/snapback]

91244[/snapback]

Do Wycombe and Leicester represent England like? Jesus Renton, I would have thought the point I was making was fairly obvious. Do you think Alex Ferguson, as a proud Scot, would want the England job?

Have you got completely the wrong end of the stick and thought I was talking about whether he would fancy the Newcastle job?

91251[/snapback]

Aye, wrong end of the stick. Soz like. :lol:

Anyone else think he won't fancy it?  I can't see him really wanting the job given a) the media shit that comes with it (it's the last thing him and his family need), and :razz: his nationality.

91163[/snapback]

91244[/snapback]

91251[/snapback]

Aye, wrong end of the stick. Soz like. :lol:

91257[/snapback]

Flidfeatures.

Actually, the England job might suit him, international management isn't a day to day hands on job, and with his domestic problems, it might be the ideal way back into football.

91186[/snapback]

Agree with that. He has also said privatly that he would like to manage England sometime.

The only difficulty I could see is certain (idiotic) elements having problems with a Northern Irish catholic running the England team.

91163[/snapback]

91244[/snapback]

The problem with Northern Ireland is people never seem to be Northern Irish, they're either Irish or English. It's not as bad as it used to be but it's still a problem. It doesn't matter what he thinks, life could still be made difficult for him and his family by a minority of twats and that's the last thing his wife needs right now. To the best of my knowledge it would be nothing similar for a Welsh or Scotsman, or Irish man for that matter! That's before even mentioning the English media...

He turned the Ireland job down though didn't he, so why would the England job suit him better?

I've heard that Hiddink is their first choice anyway.

91332[/snapback]

One of them has a realistic chance of winning the World Cup under O'Neill... bastards.

bet allardyce is fuming that pearce is in contention after 1 season of midtable mediocrity and he hasnt got a look in after doing the business on a shoe string for years!

Still at least it leaves us in with a shout of Gus Hiddink or Hitzfeld. I think they must be the top 2 targets if we are serious about actually doing owt in this league.

According to todays Journal there will be announcement later this month of good news regarding Martin O'Neill's wife's health and he is more interested in a hands on job like Newcastle than the England job with less day to day involvement.

According to todays Journal there will be announcement later this month of good news regarding Martin O'Neill's wife's health and he is more interested in a hands on job like Newcastle than the England job with less day to day involvement.

91629[/snapback]

They've cured the incurable disease?

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

Cancer is not always incurable, is it?

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

91643[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that when O'Neill quit Celtic, it was more a case of when, not if.

(if you get what I mean)

Would I be right in saying not completely?  Even in full remission there is still a chance it could come back, usually much harder.

91645[/snapback]

It's too big a field to generalise, it depends on the cancer and the individual patient. Usually you need 5 years for the all clear mind, but you can't put your life on hold for that time period.

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

91643[/snapback]

Ask Rob.

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

91643[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure that when O'Neill quit Celtic, it was more a case of when, not if.

(if you get what I mean)

91652[/snapback]

Is that fact or speculation though? I think MON has been rightfully private about the matter.

Would I be right in saying not completely?  Even in full remission there is still a chance it could come back, usually much harder.

91645[/snapback]

It's too big a field to generalise, it depends on the cancer and the individual patient. Usually you need 5 years for the all clear mind, but you can't put your life on hold for that time period.

91654[/snapback]

What are we talking, in hectares? Ball park figure.

91629[/snapback]

91633[/snapback]

91643[/snapback]

(if you get what I mean)

91652[/snapback]

Is that fact or speculation though? I think MON has been rightfully private about the matter.

91656[/snapback]

He just left to spend more time with his ill wife, officially.

91645[/snapback]

91654[/snapback]

What are we talking, in hectares? Ball park figure.

91657[/snapback]

I don't even know what type of cancer she's supposed to have. She'll certainly have the best treatment, which might make all the difference though.