Souey's warning to Shearer

Craig

Former Newcastle manager Graeme Souness has warned Alan Shearer against taking The Magpies' reins full-time.

Tyneside legend Shearer is currently working alongside Glenn Roeder in a caretaker capacity but the Scot believes the former England international would be ill-advised to cut his managerial teeth at St James' Park.

"You've got to be careful in your choice because your career could be over before it's started if you make the wrong choice first time out," said Souness.

"But I think he's wise enough to realise what would be a good first job for him and maybe one that involves too much risk."

Despite Souness's concern, the former Blackburn manager has little doubt that Shearer will one day have success as a top-flight manager.

"He's an intelligent boy. He realises that being a great player doesn't automatically qualify you to be a great manager," added Souness.

"He realises there's a lot of luck involved in being a manager.

"But if I was a gambling man I would put a lot of money on him being successful."

Source: http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=36...D=8&title=Souey

Former Newcastle manager Graeme Souness has warned Alan Shearer against taking The Magpies' reins full-time.

Tyneside legend Shearer is currently working alongside Glenn Roeder in a caretaker capacity but the Scot believes the former England international would be ill-advised to cut his managerial teeth at St James' Park.

"You've got to be careful in your choice because your career could be over before it's started if you make the wrong choice first time out," said Souness.

"But I think he's wise enough to realise what would be a good first job for him and maybe one that involves too much risk."

Despite Souness's concern, the former Blackburn manager has little doubt that Shearer will one day have success as a top-flight manager.

"He's an intelligent boy. He realises that being a great player doesn't automatically qualify you to be a great manager," added Souness.

"He realises there's a lot of luck involved in being a manager.

"But if I was a gambling man I would put a lot of money on him being successful."

Source: http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=36...D=8&title=Souey

91276[/snapback]

You don't say.... :lol:

Sounds like fairly sage advice to me.  Echoes what most right-minded people think about Shearer taking over tbh.

92134[/snapback]

Yeah but it's funny how Souness couldn't see his own advice applying to himself!

"He realises there's a lot of luck involved in being a manager."

The first hint at what I said would happen. Slowly but surely we'll get Souness putting these digs in about him not having enough time and that he only got sacked because he was unlucky with injuries, couldn't play his strongest team etc etc. It's got fuck all to do with luck, it's about spotting good players, buying them, playing them in position, and motivating and organising a team.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

The first hint at what I said would happen. Slowly but surely we'll get Souness putting these digs in about him not having enough time and that he only got sacked because he was unlucky with injuries, couldn't play his strongest team etc etc. It's got fuck all to do with luck, it's about spotting good players, buying them, playing them in position, and motivating and organising a team.

92143[/snapback]

Sweet Left Peg for manager! :lol:

92143[/snapback]

Sweet Left Peg for manager! :lol:

92144[/snapback]

My applications in the post. Although according to Souness, I just need to put 'I'm geet lucky me' on it and I'll get the job.