No verdict in Jenkins murder case

Rob W

No verdict in Jenkins murder case

Sion Jenkins has been formally acquitted of the murder of his foster daughter after the jury at the Old Bailey failed to reach a verdict. It was the third time Mr Jenkins, 48, had gone on trial for the murder of Billie-Jo in Hastings, East Sussex.

The former deputy head teacher, now of Lymington, Hampshire, had always denied murdering the 13-year-old at the family home on 13 February 1997. The prosecution said on Thursday it would not seek another retrial.

Attack by family

Billie-Jo Jenkins was battered to death with an iron tent peg in the back garden as she painted patio doors. The jurors had spent 39 hours and 10 minutes deliberating but indicated they were not going to agree on a verdict. The judge Mr Justice David Clarke then told them: "The result of course is that I shall discharge you from the task which you undertook at the beginning of this trial."

Soon after the decision was announced Sion Jenkins was attacked outside the court by members of Billie-Jo's family. A woman hurled herself at him, repeatedly punching him in the face. Mr Jenkins was originally convicted of the murder in 1998 and underwent two appeals. His conviction was quashed at the second appeal in 2004 and a retrial ordered.

In 2005, the retrial jury failed to reach a verdict, leading to the third trial getting under way last autumn.

Funny one this - but 2 juries have decided they aren't sure so I guess he's free (unless they find more evidence I suppose)

Bet he moves away and changes his name tho'......................

They should just lock him up just in case, after all, these trials have been expensive and it would be bad value for money if someone wasn't locked up for it, besides, anyone with the name Sion should be kept away from the public tbh.

They should just lock him up just in case, after all, these trials have been expensive and it would be bad value for money if someone wasn't locked up for it,

Jimbo, dear?

Shut the fuck up. :lol:

I can't believe it's finally over. I can't believe he's finally free.

I might start to have just a teeny bit of faith in the justice system again now.... innocent until proven guilty..... sometimes people forget that.....

They should just lock him up just in case, after all, these trials have been expensive and it would be bad value for money if someone wasn't locked up for it,

Jimbo, dear?

Shut the fuck up. :lol:

I can't believe it's finally over. I can't believe he's finally free.

I might start to have just a teeny bit of faith in the justice system again now.... innocent until proven guilty..... sometimes people forget that.....

91603[/snapback]

No, it was him, 100%, he's got a shifty look about him, and his eyes are too close together !

Maybe that's why I was nice and polite and using a smiling 'smiley'... rather than wanting to rip you limb from limb if I'd thought you were being *entirely* serious.... ?

Maybe.

Maybe that's why I was nice and polite and using a smiling 'smiley'...  rather than wanting to rip you limb from limb if I'd thought you were being *entirely* serious.... ?

Maybe.

91620[/snapback]

Nah, I know a bite when I see one ! :lol:

Maybe that's why I was nice and polite and using a smiling 'smiley'...  rather than wanting to rip you limb from limb if I'd thought you were being *entirely* serious.... ?

Maybe.

91620[/snapback]

Maybe :lol:

Maybe.

91620[/snapback]

I'll be serious, and point out that I think he did it.

That's the problem with the legal system. You should have to prove that you didn't do something, rather than others having to prove that you did. If you didn't do it, it should be easy to prove.

Maybe.

91620[/snapback]

That's the problem with the legal system. You should have to prove that you didn't do something, rather than others having to prove that you did. If you didn't do it, it should be easy to prove.

91630[/snapback]

I disagree, if you didn't do something or even if you did, why should the onus be on you to prove you didn't commit a crime? If someone got murdered in an area, are all the people who haven't got an alibi, say for example anyone sitting alone at home watching TV presumed to be guilty because they can't prove they weren't at the scene of the crime?

I disagree, if you didn't do something or even if you did, why should the onus be on you to prove you didn't commit a crime? If someone got murdered in an area, are all the people who haven't got an alibi, say for example anyone sitting alone at home watching TV presumed to be guilty because they can't prove they weren't at the scene of the crime?

91635[/snapback]

I hope you've been whooshed! :lol:

91635[/snapback]

I hope you've been whooshed! :razz:

91636[/snapback]

:lol:

Come on Alex, too easy :razz:

Maybe.

91620[/snapback]

91630[/snapback]

Its NOT the problem - you are innocent until PROVEN guilty

It doesn't take a lot - all you have to do is convince 12 average people that someone is guilty - and in this case they haven't managed to do it TWICE

The alternative is someone (a King, a dictator, a tribal chief, Leazes) saying "I think he did it - that's it - off with his head"

Civilisation has generally felt that a jury trial is about the fairest way of deciding these matters

"I disagree, if you didn't do something or even if you did, why should the onus be on you to prove you didn't commit a crime? If someone got murdered in an area, are all the people who haven't got an alibi, say for example anyone sitting alone at home watching TV presumed to be guilty because they can't prove they weren't at the scene of the crime?"

"Arerest the usual suspects"

Do YOU have an alibi for every moment of the day?

WHY not??

I think you are guilty (of this murder, the London bombings, the assination of John F J Kennedy, the theft and dismatling of supermarket trolleys in Peterlee.....)

throw him inside until someone confesses