Papa L. will be happy...

Isegrim

from .cock

Glenn's A Real Wide Boy

By Gary Oliver

GLENN Roeder is encouraging his Newcastle United players to use the flanks to maximise their goalscoring opportunities in matches.

It was a feature of last weekend's 2-0 victory over Portsmouth that the Magpies looked to get the ball into wide positions behind the visiting full-backs.

And Roeder has now challenged his players to deliver another positive attacking performance on their travels, when they face an Aston Villa side who last weekend romped to a 4-0 victory at Middlesbrough.

Roeder explained: "I was very conscious of saying that goalscoring opportunities from crosses happen more when you get down the sides of the penalty box.

"That pleased me, how often we got down both sides of the penalty box and got good crosses in, whether it was through Peter Ramage and Nobby Solano on the right or Charles N'Zogbia and Celestine Babayaro on the left."

Roeder will again send his team out to attack on Saturday when they travel to Villa Park.

He reasoned: "We have to be positive. The set up of this team is not to sit back, our best form of defence is to play in the opposition half.

"We go there with the intention of winning the game because we need another three points.

"We'll have a real positive go. I think that's the only way forward. I could not set a team up to break away, counter attack and try and pinch one.

"With the players we have got I don't think I could do that. We have to attack the game in the same manner away from home as we did last weekend.

"As you can imagine it's been a very good week's training after last weekend. It's flown by and hopefully that's a good sign.

"The boys have been very bouyant. Now they have to go and do it again away from home.

"That's what the best teams do. They get results at home and then go and achieve them away from home as well."

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsD...~781193,00.html

I will be if we win :lol:

Seriously though, its great to see that Roeder appreciates the simplicity of tactics and gameplans that can be employed at times. You have strikers who need crosses and width in the team so he plays with wingers out wide!!!

He also appriciates, amazingly enough, that we may have to attack teams away from home, whereas Souness guided us to 10 out of 13 prem games without us scoring! Under Souness if Owen didn't play away from home we may as well have not turned up.

I will be if we win  ;)

Seriously though, its great to see that Roeder appreciates the simplicity of tactics and gameplans that can be employed at times. You have strikers who need crosses and width in the team so he plays with wingers out wide!!!

He also appriciates, amazingly enough, that we may have to attack teams away from home, whereas Souness guided us to 10 out of 13 prem games without us scoring! Under Souness if Owen didn't play away from home we may as well have not turned up.

92663[/snapback]

Remember, plans A, B and C are to frustrate the crowd :lol:

And if A, B and C don't work there is always plan D... play Shola on the left and Luque up front what could possibly go wrong with that plan  :D

93159[/snapback]

Won't frustrate the crowd, and will instead make them laugh.

93160[/snapback]

Thats what every one else will be doing at us more than us laughing saying that Shola did play ok against villa,

remember only another 17 goals for shola to get this season till he gets that 20 a season souness promised :(