Stars return for France..

Scottish Mag

Zinedine Zidane and Claude Makelele have come out of international retirement to play for France again.

Both players have decided to return to Les Bleus after initially deciding to end their playing days for their country following their quarter final exit to eventual champions Greece at Euro 2004 in Portugal.

With France three points adrift of leaders Republic of Ireland in their World Cup qualifying group, the availability of Real Madrid's Zidane and Chelsea's Makelele will be a massive boost to France boss Raymond Domenech.

France have so far struggled in their World Cup qualifying campaign, having taken just two wins and four draws from the six matches they have played in their group.

The midfield pair are sure to be involved in France's key qualifiers at home to the Faroe Islands on September 3 and the crucial away clash to Brian Kerr's Republic of Ireland side on September 7.

Domenech told the French Football Federation website of his delight at having both Zidane and Makelele in his thoughts for future squad selections.

"I am very happy that the French team can again count on Zinedine Zidane and Claude Makelele, players of great talent who are playing at the highest level with their clubs," declared Domenech.

"Since I took the job, I have always said I wanted to pick the best French players available. And I said I perfectly understood that some players wanted to end their spell with the French team but that I regretted their decisions.

"Today, I am particularly happy to say that, some weeks before the 2006 World Cup qualifying deciders, the players who said they wanted to quit last summer have revealed their desire to return to the France team."