Toon make move for O'Neill

Scottish Mag

O'Neill has a remarkable knack of leaving clubs in a better state than he found them. Hitzfeld I doubt would touch NUFC with his worst enemies todger.

O'Neill wil move us onwards and upwards with 1st class coaching and a little touch of something he hasn't had at Celtic, Leicester and Wycombe - MONEY!

And the thought of Bellamy back at SJP!

92868[/snapback]

IF he brings his backroom staff in. Anyone know if they're in work at the moment?

92873[/snapback]

O'Neill works with the same coaches as far as I'm aware.

92878[/snapback]

Had a quick search on the net and it appears that both John Robertson and Steve Walford are out of work at the moment. Good news :D

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Neill has a remarkable knack of leaving clubs in a better state than he found them. Hitzfeld I doubt would touch NUFC with his worst enemies todger.

O'Neill wil move us onwards and upwards ...

92868[/snapback]

... and then we Hitzfeld can come and make us even better ? (I tried to fit his todger into that sentence but I couldn't see it going in anywhere.)

Not my first choice, but I wouldn't mind him as manager as long as we can sure he'd be commited long term. What concerns me is if his wife is all clear or not. God forbid anything should happen to her, we'll be left in limbo if he needs to take off a load more time.

Not my first choice either but he's a man who would probably understand our passion for the club and show the same amount in return.

I read in the paper today that Le Guen is stalling on Rangers offer of the job so he can join us. Fingers crossed that's true.

O'Neill I think is a sheep in wolfs clothing.

If O'Neill gets the job, I reckon he'll be no great shakes, however as it seems a lot of people want him, will they say Shepherd still appoints "shit managers" if he fails ala Dalglish and Gullit.

I stand by the opinion that Shepherd does the best by his managers, and gives them all the utmost chance to succeed, and personally out of the candidates we are all mentioning, I would go for Hitzfeld, Allardyce or bring Keegan back. For the simple reason that I don't think any of the others [ie O'Neill, Scolari, Eriksson] capable of matching what Keegan did the first time, whereas the 3 I mention are the most likely.

The one simple fact is none of us know how successful any of these managers would be at Newcastle United, Souness apart, the last 3 managers have had huge reputations for success, and not one of them delivered us silverware, I can't see how any of us can seem so sure that their particular choice would be any different.

The one simple fact is none of us know how successful any of these managers would be at Newcastle United, Souness apart, the last 3 managers have had huge reputations for success, and not one of them delivered us silverware, I can't see how any of us can seem so sure that their particular choice would be any different.

92973[/snapback]

As Freddie doesn't have such foresight either...do I take it that those on this message board will be hoping Shepherd appoints a proven winner of trophies, and then backs him with cash and freedom to repeat the same success here, ala Dalglish, Gullit and Robson ?

However I'm happy to cast a judgement on the main candidates and see what happens.......without using later hindsight

Edited by LeazesMag

If O'Neill gets the job, I reckon he'll be no great shakes, however as it seems a lot of people want him, will they say Shepherd still appoints "shit managers" if he fails ala Dalglish and Gullit.

I stand by the opinion that Shepherd does the best by his managers, and gives them all the utmost chance to succeed, and personally out of the candidates we are all mentioning, I would go for Hitzfeld, Allardyce or bring Keegan back. For the simple reason that I don't think any of the others [ie O'Neill, Scolari, Eriksson] capable of matching what Keegan did the first time, whereas the 3 I mention are the most likely.

92972[/snapback]

I see you're still plugging along with that line! :D

Think you'll find no-one actually said that, they've said we could have a better chairman than FS but that does not automatically translate into "he appoints shit managers"...

As for O'Neill, an obvious improvement on what we had but is he the right man to take us forward?

I think under normal circumstances, O'Neill would be an excellent choice, but that fact that his missus is ill fills me with reservations. They're reporting that she's improved but if she was to regress again, would he want time away from the game again?

He's also an advocate of the long ball game - something which frustrated the fuck out of the majority of fans under Souness - it's not the style of play I like - if it brought success then great, but I wouldn't personally enjoy watching it...

Gut instinct is telling me that this is not the right choice.

I' ve been wondering something for awhile now...

Given the fact that Roeder seems to be doing more than Souness did in 18 months,

why wasn't he given a more substantial role in the team? If we had such a coach who could have a beneficiary effect on the team, why wasn't he used? :D

I'm hoping that whoever we bring in as the new manager will let Glen pass on his experience as a former professional defender so that our younger defensive talents can develop and realise their potential.

Roeder's already said he doesn't want the job and is happy running the academy... :(

92997[/snapback]

But surely it would make sense for us to give him another role as definsive coach at least so that we wont see so many comical errors in future? :D

Just strikes me as odd we employed Roeder when he's said to be a good coach and yet only use him to run the academy and not sort out the first team problems...

He only wants the academy job though, he's made that abundantly clear....

I'm speculating, but given the problems he's had with his health, he probably finds that running the academy is a far more relaxing prospect than permanently working with the first team...

Just because he isn't working as a coach, doesn't mean he hasn't been offered the role - not everyone wants the top job you know! :D

I'm speculating, but given the problems he's had with his health, he probably finds that running the academy is a far more relaxing prospect than permanently working with the first team...

Just because he isn't working as a coach, doesn't mean he hasn't been offered the role - not everyone wants the top job you know! :D

92999[/snapback]

Personally, I think he'd want the managers role.

Just because he isn't working as a coach, doesn't mean he hasn't been offered the role - not everyone wants the top job you know! :(

92999[/snapback]

Hey it's NUFC, we appointed Graham Souness, I can't imagine Roeder beign offered a position which would contribute to the first team unfortunately ;)

I just hope that after we get the new manager in, Roeder will have a bigger part to play in the first team, because his infulence thus far is nothing short of incredible, given the way the team had been playing :D

92972[/snapback]

Think you'll find no-one actually said that, they've said we could have a better chairman than FS but that does not automatically translate into "he appoints shit managers"...

It IS....you can't knock him for handing out money to managers, and haven't, you've knocked him for appointing "failures"....so why don't you lay out the criterial you think he should look for ? [none of this hindsight malarkey]

As for O'Neill, an obvious improvement on what we had but is he the right man to take us forward?

I think under normal circumstances, O'Neill would be an excellent choice, but that fact that his missus is ill fills me with reservations. They're reporting that she's improved but if she was to regress again, would he want time away from the game again?

He's also an advocate of the long ball game - something which frustrated the fuck out of the majority of fans under Souness - it's not the style of play I like - if it brought success then great, but I wouldn't personally enjoy watching it...

Gut instinct is telling me that this is not the right choice.

92993[/snapback]

same here.

Outside of the 3 I've mentioned, I'd be quite pissed of to have to settle for one of the others, because although they are all obvious improvements over fuckpig, they still aren't good enough for what I think the standard we should set at NUFC

I would be utterly devastated if he gets Steve Bruce or Glenn Hoddle and say now that I would not ever support him again, for football reasons

Edited by LeazesMag

Roeder's already said he doesn't want the job and is happy running the academy... :D

92997[/snapback]

If you hear the full post match interview, it seems that he's more than hinting that he's falling in love with the job.

Roeder's already said he doesn't want the job and is happy running the academy... :(

92997[/snapback]

But surely it would make sense for us to give him another role as definsive coach at least so that we wont see so many comical errors in future? :D

Just strikes me as odd we employed Roeder when he's said to be a good coach and yet only use him to run the academy and not sort out the first team problems...

92998[/snapback]

I must admit I find it a bit puzzling as to why at the Christmas party or whatever social function Roeder didn't say to Souness "Tell you what Graeme, why don't you try doing this instead of letting Bramble and Boumsong run around like headless chickens?"

Did he achieve more with Leicester than Allardyce with Bolton too then?

92773[/snapback]

Yes...

92777[/snapback]

In what sense? As far as I remember, as soon as everyone figured out their long ball game, they started to lose. O'Neill jumped ship when they were on the down. Or do I remember wrongly?

92784[/snapback]

You asked if he achieved more, winning two cups is..

92785[/snapback]

...not how you judge the ability of a manager. You judge a manager by the performance of their team in the league over a sustained period of time.

92972[/snapback]

It IS....you can't knock him for handing out money to managers, and haven't, you've knocked him for appointing "failures"....so why don't you lay out the criterial you think he should look for ? [none of this hindsight malarkey]

93005[/snapback]

Nope, he's been knocked for making failures, not appointing them!

We've been here loads of times and 99% of people don't support your view that Shepherd is innocent in all of this - even HTL agrees he's fucked up big time...

ENGLAND'S HELL

By David Harrison/NOTW

The two favourites to replace Sven Goran Eriksson have plunged England into managerial meltdown.

The News of the World can reveal No1 target Martin O'Neill will hold talks with Newcastle chief Freddie Shepherd this week about replacing the axed Graeme Souness.

Wonder what Fat Fred's back-up plan will be if O'Neill chooses England.

92972[/snapback]

93005[/snapback]

Nope, he's been knocked for making failures, not appointing them!

We've been here loads of times and 99% of people don't support your view that Shepherd is innocent in all of this - even HTL agrees he's fucked up big time...

93034[/snapback]

Craig

So giving Souness £50m to spend on players of Souness's own choice made Souness a failure? Backing him fully regarding all transfers both in and out of the club made Souness a failure?

Insert varying amounts of money and apply the same question to any of the managers appointed by the Board during Fred's time as Chairman.

I'm seriously interested in exactly how backing successive managers fully has turned these people into failures. Seems to me that they did it all by themselves by making poor footballing decisions.

Name one Chairman other than John Hall who has been a better Chairman of Newcastle United in the last 50 years or more? I know this doesn't mean Fred is the best Chairman known to mankind, but the criticism of him needs to be brought into perspective. All he can do is back the manager and hope the manager makes the correct footballing decisions.

Edited by Howaythelads

OK so HTL has changed his mind then! :D

Just so this doesn't degenerate into a 10 page volley between the two of us, I'm referring to a while back when I outlined why I felt Shepherd had contributed to our downfall (timing of sackings, continuing to support Souness long after he should have done, etc) and you replied saying that you were in agreement with me! If you remember, I said that you were replying to my argument with someone else!

For the record, I have no gripe with the amount of times / money Fred has provided over the length of his chairmanship. I do feel he had to those considering he was following SJH into the chair and anything less than what he has provided will have been seen as a total failure on his part...