Pearce in U-turn over England job

Shearergol

Manchester City boss Stuart Pearce says he would be willing to talk to the Football Association about replacing Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager.

Pearce's comments mark something of a U-turn after he previously said speculation linking him with the post was "pathetic" and "embarrassing".

Now Pearce, whose team play Charlton on Sunday, says: "It would be absolute folly to rule myself out of any job.

"And disrespectful not to talk to those who were offering me employment."

Eriksson is to stand down as England boss after the World Cup finals in Germany this summer.

Martin O'Neill, who is also being linked with the vacant post at Newcastle, is thought to be the leading candidate but Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Guus Hiddink are also being strongly linked.

Pearce has impressed during his brief spell in charge at Eastlands and his international experience as a player could go in his favour, but he admits he is not the best-qualified manager for the job.

"I'm a realist and the realism is that there are a lot of people better qualified than me," he added.

"I would have to have my chairman and the board's consent, but if I was invited I would go down there and be very open-minded about what they had to say."

Tottenham boss Martin Jol, however, believes fellow Dutchman Guus Hiddink could be the right man for the job.

Jol said: "In terms of his CV there has not been a coach quite so successful as him.

"He has so much experience having led Holland and South Korea to the semi-finals of the World Cup. He's a great coach, has won the European Cup and he's a great candidate."

But Hiddink, the PSV Eindhoven and Australia coach, may have damaged his chances by saying he would only take the job if he could go part-time for the first 12 months.

He is contracted to PSV until the summer of 2007.

"I will not break my contract with PSV but it is possible to take on the England duties as well for the first 12 months," he told the News of the World.

"It is something I have been able to do with the Australian national team.

"London is only one hour from where I live in Eindhoven so the distance will not be a problem.

"I am used to living out of a suitcase. It has worked for me in the past."

Now Pearce, whose team play Charlton on Sunday, says: "It would be absolute folly to rule myself out of any job.

93058[/snapback]

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I hope to god Shepherd reads that with interest and acts upon it...

93058[/snapback]

I know not everyone will agree with me, but I hope to god Shepherd reads that with interest and acts upon it...

93071[/snapback]

6 months good work? Not sure yet imo. Riding the wave at the mo.

I think the bloke is straight out of the Cloughie school - his style of management is enthusiastic, passionate and on the whole, successful.

Like I said, I know not everyone will agree with me, but I think he's just the bloke we need to get us back up where we belong.

6 months good work? Not sure yet imo. Riding the wave at the mo.

93074[/snapback]

If he had 6 months experience when we got rid of Bobby I reckon he would be worth a gamble but I think we have to minimise risk after Souness. He was going to take us down, we can't risk another bad appointment right now.

Same reason I'm a little worried about O'Neill.

I think the bloke is straight out of the Cloughie school - his style of management is enthusiastic, passionate and on the whole, successful.

93075[/snapback]

Same as O'Neill

93076[/snapback]

True, can't argue with that one...

I'd love to see Stuart Pearce as England manager, his spirit and passion are exactly what England have been lacking under Sven.

1996_stuart_pearce.JPG

93108[/snapback]

I reckon his thigh muscles are bigger than my whole body... BEAST!

Edited by Holden McGroin

They were talking about this on goals on sunday. Pearce said he wasn't intrested when it was announced that the F.A were looking for a new manager for England but now he is saying that if they asked him to go for an interview he wouldn't think twice about it and would go .