O'Neill: The right man at the wrong time?

Asprilla

I know what he's getting at and to an extent, I agree...

Had his personal life not be as complicated, I'd feel a whole load more happy with the idea..

Had his personal life not be as complicated, I'd feel a whole load more happy with the idea..

93115[/snapback]

hhhmm...loading the "shoot Shepherd gun" already ....

I think the situation with his wife is totally irrelevant, because if he feels himself it will be detrimental, to his wife, he'll turn the job down.

Therefore if he takes it and fails, those who want him can't say Freddie appoints shit managers ....... !!!

Explain....

93107[/snapback]

Pretty much what Craig said....it just smacks of a risky appointment.

I, like everyone, have enormous sympathy for him and his wife's personal situation, but I can't help thinking that it's a HUGE risk to appoint him at this stage.

I think a statement (leaked or otherwise) from the club regarding Hitzfeld would help, as most of us are still hoping he'll get the job. If he's turned us down, then appointing somebody else is obviously unavoidable....although I can still think of a few other people I'd prefer to get the job over O'Neill.

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

Explain....

93107[/snapback]

I, like everyone, have enormous sympathy for him and his wife's personal situation, but I can't help thinking that it's a HUGE risk to appoint him at this stage.

I think a statement (leaked or otherwise) from the club regarding Hitzfeld would help, as most of us are still hoping he'll get the job. If he's turned us down, then appointing somebody else is obviously unavoidable....although I can still think of a few other people I'd prefer to get the job over O'Neill.

93129[/snapback]

As LM said, if he feels that he can't take the job because of his wife, he won't.

I think he'll snub us tbh

93115[/snapback]

I think the situation with his wife is totally irrelevant, because if he feels himself it will be detrimental, to his wife, he'll turn the job down.

Therefore if he takes it and fails, those who want him can't say Freddie appoints shit managers ....... !!!

93124[/snapback]

Wow!! You can read stuff into anything! ;):D:(

93115[/snapback]

93124[/snapback]

Wow!! You can read stuff into anything! ;):D:(

93131[/snapback]

;)

Unfortunately it may be the case, and if it is I hope the club don't panic into making another fuckwit appointment.

In spite of Souness I'm happy with the ambition shown by the board when appointing bosses, I don't think they can do any more than appoint managers with winning track records then give them the backing they need to repeat their previous successes, they have done that.

However, obvious alternative choices spring to mind here, and I think the board should continue that approach, or appoint an up and coming one who they feel could be a top manager, as I said last night however if Steve Bruce or Glenda Hoddle walk through that door then I would not defend Shepherd again on football grounds, which is the only thing that matters, that would be one major fuck up too many for me, he can make one howler but not 2.

:D

Unfortunately it may be the case, and if it is I hope the club don't panic into making another fuckwit appointment.

In spite of Souness I'm happy with the ambition shown by the board when appointing bosses, I don't think they can do any more than appoint managers with winning track records then give them the backing they need to repeat their previous successes, they have done that.

However, obvious alternative choices spring to mind here, and I think the board should continue that approach, or appoint an up and coming one who they feel could be a top manager, as I said last night however if Steve Bruce or Glenda Hoddle walk through that door then I would not defend Shepherd again on football grounds, which is the only thing that matters, that would be one major fuck up too many for me, he can make one howler but not 2.

93133[/snapback]

Sounds about right to me! :(

There's NO need to appoint a bad manager at this point. We're a big club with a good squad and if whoever comes here can win us a cup they'll probably get a statue! ;)

;)

93115[/snapback]

93124[/snapback]

As opposed to you having all guns loaded for every player/manager?

You better start praying he takes the job because according to the Sunday Sun we'll be talking to Curbishley if he knocks us back.  Fuuuuuuuuuck meeeeeeee.

93272[/snapback]

No thanks !

O'Neill would in my opinion take us back to CL football. As i've said elswhere recently he's made every Club he's managed ultimately much better than when he arrived and yet has never worked with the financial clout that NUFC can (hopefully) offer him.

Despite all the Hitzfeld shite that is being bandied about I think O'Neill offers a more realistic chance of landing what in my opinion is a top notch manager.

The kind of football we'll play under O'Neil worries me, one goal up and ten men behind the ball tactics, no thanks.

Have the same doubts about Allardyce.

Would anyone like to elighten me on what O'Neil has actually achieved in his time as a manager, other than his success with one of the two teams in scotland.

I think you're right UM, O'Neill is the more realistic option. But it would be criminal not to at least ask Hitzfeld what his thoughts on the job are. The worst that can happen is that he'll say nein.

93338[/snapback]

So he'll just tell us how many thoughts he has or actually what they are? :D

Explain....

93107[/snapback]

93129[/snapback]

As LM said, if he feels that he can't take the job because of his wife, he won't.

I think he'll snub us tbh

93130[/snapback]

The major concern is that he might say yes as his wife is OK now but what if in 6 months or a years time the cancer comes back. The situation could change very quickly

I think you're right UM, O'Neill is the more realistic option. But it would be criminal not to at least ask Hitzfeld what his thoughts on the job are. The worst that can happen is that he'll say nein.

93338[/snapback]

So he'll just tell us how many thoughts he has or actually what they are? :D

93369[/snapback]

Get your bloody coat!