Kneejerking

Chaser

Its very early days and we've played only 2 games, however we've managed to score 4 goals during those 2 games and we've looked to be creating chances for those up front, something which we havent seen at our place for quite some time.

Neither Roeder or Shearer have the necessary coaching badges, Tommy Craig does. What if Roeder and Shearer continued this run of form and kept on getting good results at home and away. It doesnt take a lot to put good players in their right positions and let them play, something which Souness couldnt understand. Would the Roeder/Shearer partnership continue? Look at the following Kneejerk

Partnership

Both have denied that they want the job - Shearer has said it has come too early, while Roeder has said that he doesnt want the stress levels associated with it. By sharing the role, with Shearer taking a coaching role and Roeder the man management side of things, it shares the pressure out so that both are accountable rather than just one of them. Roeder appears to be the calmer of the two, saying the right things to the press, looking to be addressing the concerns of the players and admitting that there are areas to be worked upon. Shearer on the other hand is the coach who leads by example, and can motivate the team where it is needed.

Qualifications

Neither have the necessary qualifications however Tony Craig has his Pro-Licence. If Craig is installed as one of the head coaches, does this not allow the partnership to continue while they work towards their pro-licences?

Big Appointment = Trophies??

We've previously been a club who has looked to taking on big names as managers - iconic players who have gone into management after their playing careers have finished. With this, big wages and big egos have arrived. We've seen that with Dalglish, Gullit and Souness. Robson was a proven winner on a managerial level so cannot be regarded in this same group. Is it necessary that we have to appoint a big name to manage this club? Stability and continuity count for a lot in football and the best teams (aside from moneybags Chelsea) have had managers installed for several years. Roeder and Shearer already work within the club so the players know who they are, they know who the players are and we may not see the clearouts we have seen previously when we have changed managers.

Like i said its early days, but if this does continue, can Freddy overlook it? There have been suggestions from others on here that by coming out publicly and saying they dont want the role of manager, both are taking pressure off themselves. Results are everything and the last 2 games have shown promise in workrate, commitment and flair.

Edited by robchester

• 2 weeks later...
Didn't we do something like win 6 and drew 2 of Souness' first 8 games? :D

100819[/snapback]

There's a statistic about how many games a manager wins before it all goes to shit (I think it's about seven).... :yes

Still we're in a win/win situation with Roeder as: he'll love the job as long as it's going well, we'll love him, and if/when it goes pear shaped, there's no ludicrous pay off clause :huff:

Who's Tony Craig?  Some Tommy Craig/Tony Caig hybrid?

100853[/snapback]

Can you not refrain from being a twat? Just for one day??

:huff:

100855[/snapback]

But if you want him to NOT refrain from being a twat then surely that means he'll continue to be a twat? :D

Yes, I'm being a twat :yes

100853[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

100855[/snapback]

But if you want him to NOT refrain from being a twat then surely that means he'll continue to be a twat? :D

Yes, I'm being a twat :huff:

100858[/snapback]

Pedant :yes

100853[/snapback]

:D

100855[/snapback]

Depends if you can refrain from being a cliquey tard tbh.

I would still want us to get a top class manager in. However, I'd much rather keep Roeder than get the likes of Bruce or O'Leary.

It's important people don't get carried away. So far all our matches have been fairly easy on paper, although I am particularly impressed with how we took on an improved Everton with no recognized stikers. We've got some tough opposition coming up soon though and that's the acid test to how much we've improved.

Im not suggesting yet that everything in the garden is rosy because i remember the 9 games where Souness went unbeaten. However, it seems like theres been a sudden transformation in fortunes and that cant be down to luck. It seems like the players are playing with a smile on their faces once again

Im not suggesting yet that everything in the garden is rosy because i remember the 9 games where Souness went unbeaten. However, it seems like theres been a sudden transformation in fortunes and that cant be down to luck. It seems like the players are playing with a smile on their faces once again

100958[/snapback]

Definitely. And Souness may have had some initial success in terms of results, but our style of play was never transformed like it has been now. Well done Roeder and long may it continue.

The next 3 games are the real test - though I'm not knocking the good work thats been done.

The eternal optimist in me looked at the fixtures when Souness left and thought a good run could see us 6th at a push - apart from the next 3 which I've almost "written off" I think we can win the rest.

If FS does take his time and the above comes off I can see there being a loud vote for Roeder - personally though I'd rather have a "top" bloke.

100958[/snapback]

Shiteness`s first few games were with the team he inherited from SBR before he started selling the best ones.

Roeder and Shearers first few games have been without the best ones we have left, in other words the ones Shiteness winged he needed to win a game.

When we get Michael Owen, Steven Taylor and Milner back we could even become a credible force now we have a management team who know what they are doing.