United cool on O'Neill claims

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United stayed cool today at reports that Martin O'Neill is ready to turn them down for England, (writes Alan Oliver).

For with Glenn Roeder steadying the ship so superbly United know that they do not need to rush into finding a replacement for Graeme Souness.

Indeed United have stressed that they have made no approach to anyone for their vacant managerial position.

But O'Neill is starting to become involved in football matters again with his wife Geraldine showing improvement from her illness.

He was at a testimonial dinner for a football writer in the Midlands on Thursday and last night the former Celtic boss was at a dinner in Glasgow.

O'Neill has a lot of support in Soho Square for the England job and there are conflicting reports from "friends" of the amiable Irishman as to whether he would like to come to St James' Park or try his luck on the national scene.

Freddy Shepherd is staying calm about the whole situation, and reports on Sky Sports today saying that Ottmar Hitzfeld was on his way to Tyneside were wrong.

There seems to be a concerted campaign for Hitzfeld which has mystified both United and the Press, who are being bombarded with e-mails.

The Chronicle has had around 400 in support of Hitzfeld and only two saying O'Neill is the man for the job.

German Ralf Ranenick, who has just lost his job at Schalke, turned up with his agent at Villa Park on Saturday - but not at Shepherd's invitation.

And although Sven-Goran Eriksson was sitting just behind Shepherd, he told the United supremo that he was completely focused on England and the World Cup.

The England situation has clearly complicated things not only for United but for other Premiership clubs.

Manchester City enquired today whether O'Neill is coming to United for they believe if he does then they would lose Stuart Pearce to England.

German Ralf Ranenick, who has just lost his job at Schalke, turned up with his agent at Villa Park on Saturday - but not at Shepherd's invitation.

His name is Rangnick, you poor excuse of a journalist.

93565[/snapback]

As well as the Bayern team doc who had a look at Dyer isn't called Wolfhart. Either Anal O. is too thick to look up names on the internet or he is spelling them wrong deliberately...

On MOTD, Roeder seemed to hint that Southampton may be his last game if he takes it. I reckon he know's something is close.

Also, why has a call for Hitzfeld been deemed puzzling? Is it because he's not Oliver's choice?

On MOTD, Roeder seemed to hint that Southampton may be his last game if he takes it. I reckon he know's something is close.

Also, why has a call for Hitzfeld been deemed puzzling? Is it because he's not Oliver's choice?

93629[/snapback]

Because, to be fair, Shepherd's never heard of the lad.

93629[/snapback]

To the likes of Anal Oliver and fat Fred the idea of going after one of europe's top coaches, a double CL winner etc. is somehow strange.

And the idea that toon fans unlike the two of them aren't all inward looking, blinkered and obsessed with brit managers is also puzzling.

With Hitzfeld out of work if Fat Fred doesn't even try then yet again he's fucking up and i hope there won't be any defence of him for once again faling to do the job for which he is massively overpaid.

If Hitzfeld says no thanks, then fair enough, we've tried and failed.

To the likes of Anal Oliver and fat Fred the idea of going after one of europe's top coaches, a double CL winner etc. is somehow strange.

And the idea that toon fans unlike the two of them aren't all inward looking, blinkered and obsessed with brit managers is also puzzling.

With Hitzfeld out of work if Fat Fred doesn't even try then yet again he's fucking up and i hope there won't be any defence of him for once again faling to do the job for which he is massively overpaid.

93848[/snapback]

Totally agree.

I thought Lard Lad might have learnt his lesson after last time and having seen the effect top european coaches have had on Chelsea and Liverpoo.

It looks like he is going to be as insular and myopic as ever (I'd love him to make me eat my words mind).

93848[/snapback]

Totally agree.

I thought Lard Lad might have learnt his lesson after last time and having seen the effect top european coaches have had on Chelsea and Liverpoo.

It looks like he is going to be as insular and myopic as ever (I'd love him to make me eat my words mind).

93850[/snapback]

;)

93848[/snapback]

Totally agree.

93850[/snapback]

Exactly, its all there for him. Look at the teams who went for top class european coaches:

Arse - trophy after trophy, great football, doubles

Pool - CL winners!

Chelsea - almost invincible (except against Boro!)

Spurs - for the first time in years actually good and will get into europe