Luque to fight for place

Scottish Mag

Albert Luque has admitted he walked out of St James' Park after being left out of the side that defeated Portsmouth, but stresses he did it with Glenn Roeder's blessing.

The expensive Spanish import has struggled to prove his worth at Newcastle United and has not featured since Roeder replaced Graeme Souness.

With the World Cup finals on the horizon, the former Deportivo La Coruna forward is refusing to give up hope of impressing for The Magpies.

"Once I recovered from injury, I played three games," he told La Voz de la Galicia. "But they sacked Souness, in came Roeder and, already, in the first match, he left me out of the squad.

"He has not given me an explanation, nor am I going to request one, because he is the one who picks the team. So I accepted the situation.

"But, to my surprise, he has left me out and I do not know why.

"Absolutely [did I leave the Portsmouth game]. The coach said to me that he was not going to use me. I responded to him by saying I respected his decision but it was surprising for me and I preferred to go to my house. He gave me permission and I left with his consent."

Luque concedes he is struggling to adapt to Premiership life after leaving La Liga last summer.

"I played 90 minutes against Manchester United," he added. "In the second game, against Fulham, I injured myself and was out for 12 weeks.

"Later, I returned to take the field and, when I got in, they sacked Souness.

"The truth is that it is a different type of football - if you do not go to a 'sharpshooting' team - Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester. Except for those four, the others practise a direct English game and with force."

Luque is remaining positive and still hopes to represent Spain in Germany 2006.

"I continue thinking positive in spite of the disadvantages that I have had," he explained. "Now I want to demonstrate that I can play here without problems.

"With all these misfortunes, it's true Luis Aragones has not been able to see me much, but I want to demonstrate that I can be in the international squad.

"The talent is not what they look for at this moment in Newcastle, more so in this situation. The only thing they want is that those who play run 100 percent, that the defenders send direct balls, and that the forwards fight for them."

Worrying to see conflicting reports there. :( Roader saying that he's explained the situation to Luque and Luque saying that he hasn't been given an explanation as to why he's left out. :D

He's spot on with his last comment.

He'll be gone in summer.

93559[/snapback]

Roeder said in his post-match-interview on Newcastle World how he is to stop the long ball game as you don't play such kind of football with the likes of Emre, Parker, Solano and N'Zogbia in midfield and with centre forwards who are better when getting the ball to their feet from the flanks.

I reckon Luque will get his chance in the upcoming games, but he probably has to grab it as it will be his last for both his stay at Newcastle and a place in the Spanish WC squad.

His omission over the last two games has confirmed one thing for me; it's not Roeder picking the team...

93563[/snapback]

Wouldn't disagree with that either. AS knows the quality both N'Zogbia and Solano possess with crossing, and Ameobi tends to do a lot of donkey work for him. I can't see a Shearer/Luque partnership being very successful.

Owen/Luque on the other hand.....

His omission over the last two games has confirmed one thing for me; it's not Roeder picking the team...

93563[/snapback]

Wouldn't disagree with that either. AS knows the quality both N'Zogbia and Solano possess with crossing, and Ameobi tends to do a lot of donkey work for him. I can't see a Shearer/Luque partnership being very successful.

93568[/snapback]

Would be a great partnership if Luque can find his form. I can't see it happening though, not while Shearer is still playing - and Owen and Luque will both be gone in the summer...

93563[/snapback]

93568[/snapback]

Would be a great partnership if Luque can find his form. I can't see it happening though, not while Shearer is still playing - and Owen and Luque will both be gone in the summer...

93571[/snapback]

Thanks for that :D

Does however completely depend on who the manager is. That's why it's so important to get it right.

93563[/snapback]

93568[/snapback]

93571[/snapback]

Thanks for that :D

Does however completely depend on who the manager is. That's why it's so important to get it right.

93572[/snapback]

True. I doubt that our next manager will want to sell Owen, but the chances of Luque staying must be slim unless he suddenly finds his form and starts scoring goals. The new manager won't have a lot of money to spend in the summer and if a Spanish club comes in with an offer for Luque, he will be sold to generate funds for a couple of new signings.

Do you reckon Owen will stay? I still think that it all depends on Liverpool. If Owen thinks there is any chance of going back, he will try to engineer a move, and I don't think we'll get anywhere near the £17m we paid for him.

I've heard Liverpool are close to arranging a deal with Palace for Andrew Johnson, so not sure if they'd want Owen too. Looks like Cisse is going, which would leave them with:

Morientes

Crouch

Fowler

Johnson

Pongolle?

I'm not really sure about it. I'd hate to see Owen go to Liverpool now :D

This is nothing but damage control...Both parties r benefitted

1) LUQUE>>>gets his name clear of any outburst

2)NUFC>>>>Get the bag loads of money invested in him back(well most of it)

Knowing Shearer well and the toughness needed at the club I am sure hez gone in summer

:D rocks

If he doesn't make the squad for Southampton i think it will be the end of him here unless there is an injury.

I've noticed O'Brien nor Chopra have made the squad either, anyone know why? Or did they and i missed it?

If he doesn't make the squad for Southampton i think it will be the end of him here unless there is an injury.

I've noticed O'Brien nor Chopra have made the squad either, anyone know why? Or did they and i missed it?

93622[/snapback]

We've nearly got everyone fit now so that's one of the reasons.

If we appoint a good manager then Owen will stay, if we appoint a duffer or a risky unknown then he'll probably be off.

As far as Luque is concerned, so long as we get a decent fee back for him, £7m or so, he can feck off.

Luque makes the valid point that under fuckwitt souness we were playing truly awful long ball football alot of the time and that was pointless for a player like Luque.

Under Roeder we'll be playing the kind of football where we can actually finally judge if Luque has a chance of making it in the prem or not, i certainly haven't made up my mind based on what Souness did to him.

As for Owen i've only ever worried he'll leave if Souness stayed and now he's gone. Pick a decent manager and Owen will give it at least another season to see where things are going. People always forget some of the reasons Owen is happy here:

He will genuinely be worshipped as a striker here in a way the scousers did for Fowler but never Owen

He is paid a shit load

he'll play every game (when fit!) and his international place will be assured which we know is important to him

he seems to like the area and is stlled well enough without the need to go through a move all over again

I believe Luque could play quite nicely in behind Shola, especially the way Shola played on Saturday, with Luque using his flicks and tricks behind Shola leading the line.  Would involve dropping Alan though.

93582[/snapback]

"tricks and flicks" don't win you football games, - passing, movement, pace and desire do though

I believe Luque could play quite nicely in behind Shola, especially the way Shola played on Saturday, with Luque using his flicks and tricks behind Shola leading the line.  Would involve dropping Alan though.

93582[/snapback]

"tricks and flicks" don't win you football games, - passing, movement, pace and desire do though

93906[/snapback]

Ronaldo is a canny player for manyoo....

93582[/snapback]

93906[/snapback]

Well I'm pretty pacy, can pass, run around a lot and give everything, but because I'm shit at doing the flicks and tricks part, I'll never be a quality attacker...

Edited by Optimistic Nut

93582[/snapback]

93906[/snapback]

It's won Brazil a few World Cups like.

93582[/snapback]

93906[/snapback]

Ronaldo is a canny player for manyoo....

93907[/snapback]

He's got all of the above though.

Luque did have too. ;)