Luque to fight for place

Scottish Mag

Whey he's certainly not a power player, and from what I've seen he doesn't have that much proper pace, (Bellamy, Dyer, O'Brien etc) so you look for something else. If he can drop off a knock in little balls for another striker then that's something.

And exactly how did we win on Saturday? What was Shearer's contribution to the goals?

He still does, and he'll prove it either here or Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc. at a much higher stage.

94018[/snapback]

You're completely right. I've always stated (and there's proof on this board before anyone argues) that he's a top class player but there would be doubts about whether he could adapt to the Premiership. His comments about the 4 top teams (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal) is spot on. If he played for any of those he'd still look top class.

He still does, and he'll prove it either here or Real Madrid, Barcelona, etc. at a much higher stage.

94018[/snapback]

You're completely right. I've always stated (and there's proof on this board before anyone argues) that he's a top class player but there would be doubts about whether he could adapt to the Premiership. His comments about the 4 top teams (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal) is spot on. If he played for any of those he'd still look top class.

94092[/snapback]

I still think he'd need time to adjust at those clubs, but the difference is that those clubs can afford to give him that time because they'll pick up results regardless. Because of the state we're in this season people are desperate for the skilful Spanish bloke to get them off their seats. He hasn't, so people have got on his back. It's a shame and he'll probably be off at the end of the season because of it.

It's not so much about the clubs being able to afford the time needed for a player to adjust, but for a player of Luque's age, he can hardly afford a season of transition and adjustment, especially in a World Cup season. From his point of view this move could not have been worse timed, and obviously the injuries have hardly helped him.

I thought that he was supposed to be a proper player and a substantial improvement on Robert for 9.5m quid

Sort yourself out Feb 14 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder has told Albert Luque he must put a smile back on his face if he is going to force his way back into the Newcastle United picture.

Every United player has responded to Roeder's superb man-management in the last 11 days - apart from the £9.5m Spanish striker.

And after letting Luque return to his native Barcelona last week, Roeder suspected what would happen - an interview in a Spanish paper in which the former Deportivo La Coruna striker poured his heart out.

Roeder was philosophical about it all today and stressed that he wants Luque back in his squad as soon as possible, with United still in the FA Cup and having to fit in an extra game a week tomorrow with the re-arranged match with Charlton Athletic at St James' Park.

But the caretaker boss claims he did not take Luque to Villa Park because he felt it would be "disrespectful " to make a player of his international standing sit in the stands.

And he challenged Luque to show the rest of the squad that he wants to be a part of it.

Luque has admitted he walked out of St James' Park after being left out of the side that defeated Portsmouth a week past Saturday but stresses he did it with Roeder's blessing.

Luque told La Voz de la Galicia: "When they sacked Souness, in came Roeder and, already, in the first match, he left me out of the squad.

"He has not given me an explanation, nor am I going to request one, because he is the one who picks the team. So I accepted the situation.

"But, to my surprise, he has left me out and I do not know why.

"I did leave the Portsmouth game. The coach said to me that he was not going to use me. I responded to him by saying I respected his decision but it was surprising for me and I preferred to go to my house. He gave me permission and I left with his consent."

But Luque's attitude has been terrible in recent weeks and it is no wonder Roeder has not included him in either of his squads for the game with Portsmouth and Aston Villa.

But the Spanish striker adds: "The truth is that it is a different type of football if you do not go to a `sharpshooting' team - Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool or Manchester. Except for those four, the others play a direct English game and with force.

"But I will continue to think positive in spite of the disadvantages that I have had. Now I want to demonstrate that I can play here without problems.

"The talent is not what they look for at this moment in Newcastle, more so in this situation.

"The only thing they want is those who run 100%, that the defenders send direct balls, and that the forwards fight for them."

Reading Luque's comments, Roeder said: "I have seen it so many times before when a foreign player goes home they go straight to their own papers. Don't forget I had Paolo Di Canio under me at West Ham.

"At least Albert has not taken any liberties with his comments and they are very controlled.

"Yet for him to say I only want runners and high balls is simply not true, as anyone who was at Aston Villa will testify. I do not want that kind of football and neither do the Newcastle fans.

"I want to help Albert but first he has to help himself because he looks like a very unhappy man at the moment.

"I know he is disappointed at not been in the squads for Portsmouth and Aston Villa.

"I did not take him to Villa Park because I knew he was not going to be in the team or on the bench and I thought it would have been disrespectful to make him sit in the stands with the fans.

"I took young Matty Pattison instead because he will come into the team some day and I thought he would benefit from the experience.

"Now Albert has come back from Spain and I am told he trained very hard over the weekend and we are trying to build him up slowly and bring him back into the fold.

"It is no good him going around with a long face. We want players here who are happy and who have smiles on their faces.

"I know what Albert is capable of. When I was manager of West Ham I saw a lot of Real Mallorca because we were interested in Sameul Eto'o and Luque played alongside him.

"I know he has had a bad injury in his short time here. In fact, our physiotherapist Derek Wright tells me Albert's hamstring injury was as bad as it gets and it was close to being ruptured.

"Now he is fit again and he has to show me and the rest of the players he wants to be in our squad."

As I said almost from day 1, he just wants someone to hold his hand, no desire, no heart, a 27 year old international who cost 9.5m quid.

It goes without saying that Roeder is handling this whole situation light years better than the last wanker did.

As I said almost from day 1......

94408[/snapback]

High five?

94412[/snapback]

only with others that don't get things spectacularly wrong ;)

Anyway, too American for me

As I said almost from day 1......

94408[/snapback]

High five?

94412[/snapback]

only with others that don't get things spectacularly wrong ;)

Anyway, too American for me

94413[/snapback]

*sheepishly lowers his hand, grin slipping from his face, and skulks away*

I'd give him a game this weekend and give Shola the day off tbh. With 3 games in a week coming up it might be worth it, and makes sense to give him a go against Championship defenders to maybe build his confidence a bit.

Wor Alberto Updatio:

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

94550[/snapback]

The former Deportivo La Coruña favourite has not pulled on a United shirt since Roeder succeeded Graeme Souness on a caretaker basis 13 days ago and, having made disparaging remarks about his club, his manager and the English game in general to journalists in his homeland, his future on Tyneside hangs in the balance.

Talk about blowing it about of proportion, FFS ;)

Leazes, don't you think Oliver is out of order in his treatment of Luque, in much the same way as he was with his blatant anti-Robert agenda. Or is he the font of journalistic knowledge all of a sudden for agreeing with your snap assessment? It's lazy journalism in my view, pick on the boo-boy to get in with fans.

Leazes, don't you think Oliver is out of order in his treatment of Luque, in much the same way as he was with his blatant anti-Robert agenda. Or is he the font of journalistic knowledge all of a sudden for agreeing with your snap assessment? It's lazy journalism in my view, pick on the boo-boy to get in with fans.

94777[/snapback]

Snap assessment ? You mean "correct assessment", and whether you consider it to be snap or not, I think it was obvious as feck.

Anyway, no I don't think he's out of order. I think a 27 year old international that wants his arse wiping and everything to be made easy for him is pretty pathetic, he's paid a lot of money, he cost a lot of money, he should get his arse out of there and impose his talent on the team, if hes not happy with the way the team play, demand the fecking ball ffs, go out and show people they are wrong.

Zoggy has all of this, and he's 19, a young lad in a new country, his parent has just died, he puts him to shame.

94777[/snapback]

Snap assessment ? You mean "correct assessment", and whether you consider it to be snap or not, I think it was obvious as feck.

Anyway, no I don't think he's out of order. I think a 27 year old international that wants his arse wiping and everything to be made easy for him is pretty pathetic, he's paid a lot of money, he cost a lot of money, he should get his arse out of there and impose his talent on the team, if hes not happy with the way the team play, demand the fecking ball ffs, go out and show people they are wrong.

Zoggy has all of this, and he's 19, a young lad in a new country, his parent has just died, he puts him to shame.

94809[/snapback]

I actually don't think Luque has done himself any favours with his attitude since he arrived but I think Oliver is a bit out of order. I agree re: N'Zog too.