Hughes

Stu_J

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

This boy is a toon player through and through, I've met him, this was before we sold him, and he told me how much he loved the club and hoped to be there for the rest of his career. I was gutted when we sold him, as he is so versatile and commeted, when did he ever complain about where he was in the team, or anything like that? He never did, he just got on with things, the fact that we sold him for a million, and o'brien for 2 is a joke! I'm from northern ireland so I may possibly be bias, as he is our captain, but I really think we should sign him back in the summer!

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

This boy is a toon player through and through, I've met him, this was before we sold him, and he told me how much he loved the club and hoped to be there for the rest of his career. I was gutted when we sold him, as he is so versatile and commeted, when did he ever complain about where he was in the team, or anything like that? He never did, he just got on with things, the fact that we sold him for a million, and o'brien for 2 is a joke! I'm from northern ireland so I may possibly be bias, as he is our captain, but I really think we should sign him back in the summer!

93787[/snapback]

Mate, he seems a canny lad, but he's not that good. And the versatile thing is a myth - he's mediocre in all positions across the back 4 and that's about it. In hindsight it was a mistake to sell him because of all the injury problems, and because the bloke that we signed (Moore) has never been fit enough to turn out for us. Signing Hughes back wouldn't be a step in the right direction though - I'm not saying it would be a step back though. Maybe just standing still. And leaning slightly forward.

But would you not agree, that he is more consistent than bramble and boumsong, fair enough he is constantly average, tipping good sometimes, but them two are consistently unconsistent. If thats's possible, I'm not really sure tbh!

Mate, he seems a canny lad, but he's not that good.  And the versatile thing is a myth - he's mediocre in all positions across the back 4 and that's about it.  In hindsight it was a mistake to sell him because of all the injury problems, and because the bloke that we signed (Moore) has never been fit enough to turn out for us.  Signing Hughes back wouldn't be a step in the right direction though - I'm not saying it would be a step back though.  Maybe just standing still. And leaning slightly forward.

93792[/snapback]

;):razz:

But would you not agree, that he is more consistent than bramble and boumsong, fair enough he is constantly average, tipping good sometimes, but them two are consistently unconsistent. If thats's possible, I'm not really sure tbh!

93793[/snapback]

No, it isn't ;)

I saw him in Bainbridges once, shopping with his lass.

You know when someone is walking towards you and you think "I know you, but I don't know where from" so you do that little nod of recognition so as not to appear rude? Well I did that and he said "Alright, mate?" back.

Anicdote ends.

He was never a world beater, but it was yet another stupid, pointeless souness sale as he set about dismantling a squad he himself said was too small, and then he whinges every fucking day about needing more players!!!

Hughes wouldn't have been in my team with every player fit, but he can cover RB and CB and is good to have on the bench as well. I certainly wouldn't sign him back, but we could have used him this season.

He was never a world beater, but it was yet another stupid, pointeless souness sale as he set about dismantling a squad he himself said was too small, and then he whinges every fucking day about needing more players!!!

Hughes wouldn't have been in my team with every player fit, but he can cover RB and CB and is good to have on the bench as well. I certainly wouldn't sign him back, but we could have used him this season.

93862[/snapback]

Quoted for truth. It did us more harm selling him for relatively little money, then it would have done keeping him on the books and paying him a salary to be a bench player.

Still, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Perhaps if we hadn't have been through such an injury crisis we would not be saying this. Perhaps Moore is a mint CB that's yet to show us his stuff?

Perhaps I need more water in this :razz:;)

Always felt that Hughes was an unsung hero for us. Never the first name on the team sheet, but always on it. Suffered from Stevie Watson's ailment: I think his 'versatility' led to never being played in his preferred postion (centre back) where he had a great season when allowed to play there.

Felt he would make an excellent captain too.

He also suffered from Solanos sale, always looked a better player when playing down the right with the little Peruvian.

93881[/snapback]

Quoted for truth.

Imagine how the lad must feel having that happen to him twice in his career?

He also suffered from Solanos sale, always looked a better player when playing down the right with the little Peruvian.

93881[/snapback]

Both Hughes and Dyer are distinctly improved by the presence of Nobby. Hughes best run at fullback was with Solano and some of Dyers best football was played with Nobby to his right.

He WASN'T versatile. He was a an average full back who could defend but offered us diddly shit coming forward (Ramage is much better, the lad can cross and everything). Yes, he was an alright centre half and never let us down there, although he could be a little lightweight at times. The myth about him being versatile comes from the fact he marked Hassler out of the game as a holding midfielder in the Intertoto. A way over the hill Hassler who Robson last say in 1990 when he was rather tasty, I dare say Faye would have kept him quiet. The Spurs game when Poyet took Hughes to the cleaners was the end of that tactic.

Top bloke, loyal player, 100%er, average centre half, NOT Zico. ;)

He WASN'T versatile. He was a an average full back who could defend but offered us diddly shit coming forward (Ramage is much better, the lad can cross and everything). Yes, he was an alright centre half and never let us down there, although he could be a little lightweight at times. The myth about him being versatile comes from the fact he marked Hassler out of the game as a holding midfielder in the Intertoto. A way over the hill Hassler who Robson last say in 1990 when he was rather tasty, I dare say Faye would have kept him quiet. The Spurs game when Poyet took Hughes to the cleaners was the end of that tactic.

Top bloke, loyal player, 100%er, average centre half, NOT Zico.  ;)

93969[/snapback]

FACT!

Who played Shola onside on Saturday again?

93986[/snapback]

That was merely a plea for us to sign him , back he gave us an early goal, becasue he knows his true calling is with us!

94333[/snapback]

He's a good squad player at best if you want to be a top side imo. With hindsight though, we shouldn't have sold him.

93986[/snapback]

That was merely a plea for us to sign him , back he gave us an early goal, becasue he knows his true calling is with us!

94333[/snapback]

He's a good squad player at best if you want to be a top side imo. With hindsight though, we shouldn't have sold him.

94339[/snapback]

Look on the bright sight ...we sold him to discover a better new improve hughes

Ramage which imo as better positional sense and has much more aggression.

I am guilty of moaning abt hughes when he lets in a cross ever so often in the past.....(In the position right back i view him ask a weak link, at centre back he was slightly light weight) always will be a average player imo.

Edited by DONTOONER

93986[/snapback]

94333[/snapback]

94339[/snapback]

I was delighted when we sold O'Brien, but I always thought getting rid of Hughes was pointless. I was ridiculed for saying it back then though ("Zico Hughes" etc.) because a lot people were up Souness' arse at the time. ;)

(Did I just sound like LeazesMag?)

Having said that, there is absolutely no way we should buy him back, he's not good enough. He could have helped us out on a few occasions this season though and he wouldn't have complained if he hadn't been playing. Proper player.