What is new is old.

sammynb

After reading Rob's thread on the new Madness it has got me thinking about the host of current bands that have taken inspiration from the greats of the 80s.

Is this a good thing?

Are we just getting old and have we heard it all before?

In the last couple of years we have seen the rise of:

BRMC = Jesus and Mary Chain

Interpol = Joy Division

The Dears = the Smiths

Kaiser Chiefs = the Specials

The Strokes = the stones

Broken Social Scene = new order

Jet = the stoneswhostooges

the killers = duran duran

sons and daughters = the clash

Do you agree/disagree?

Is there anyone else?

I think

Kaiser Chiefs = Pulp

Hard-Fi = The Jam

Franz Ferdinand = Gang of Four

93923[/snapback]

Dr, maybe I never got far enough into gang of four's releases (anthrax is really the only song I know well) so I can't comment on the Franz comparison but you just reminded me that the Kaiser Chiefs don't sound like the specials but the very first jam album (in the city).

last two winners of X-Factor

same pappy old geriatric/tweeny girl favored, rat bastards

Boyzone-Westlife

New Kids on the Block- Backstreet boys

... this game isn't as fun as it first seemed

last two winners of X-Factor

same pappy old geriatric/tweeny girl favored, rat bastards

Boyzone-Westlife

New Kids on the Block- Backstreet boys

... this game isn't as fun as it first seemed

93942[/snapback]

;)

See doodle, not only do I not watch pap reality television, you are talking about pap English reality television whereas this thread was about bands with a worldwide appeal/release.

not really a woosh tbh. just find the incessant tedium of lumping bands into "they're just the doors without the originality" or "God drop the bass line and it's X by Y", to be frankly... incessantly tedious.

is it not possible to enjoy a band without reducing them to their influences, irrespective of how blatant the influences are?

You could say Kasabien are Oasis, or that certain Bloc Party songs remind you of Blondie... but I'm sure there must be something more interesting you could write about?

how about the world cup qualification spots.... or what it is to be Australian in this day and age?

anything but this tired old cliche ridden bilge your currently letting dribble off your inbred chin

;)

anything but this tired old cliche ridden bilge your currently letting dribble off your inbred chin

93951[/snapback]

My inbred chin? But unlike you fat boy I've only got one so it's not possible for them to breed, unlike your many that get to hump each other everytime you open your mouth ;)

it's hilarious isn't it, someone said I was fat so it must be true, despite the fact that I weigh less than the accuser.

chin humping?

seriously?

I had hoped some form of education had survived down on the arsehole of the world, but I guess not.

I am curious as to why this "Geordie Fish is Fat" thing is persisting, I have many flaws and yet to pick this is odd. It's not even like I bite on it quite so much as I did about the whole student thing...

of course I know this will be pointed at as an example of biting, which is as tedious as you.

I had hoped some form of education had survived down on the arsehole of the world, but I guess not.

I am curious as to why this "Geordie Fish is Fat" thing is persisting, I have many flaws and yet to pick this is odd. It's not even like I bite on it quite so much as I did about the whole student thing...

of course I know this will be pointed at as an example of biting, which is as tedious as you.

93955[/snapback]

Firstly my childish friend, here maybe the arsehole of the world but I would hazard a bet that you have never been here and in fact are talking out of your arse.

It is no better or worse than where you are culturally, socially or politically and in many ways is a reflection of the British society that colonised the place. But hey if you want to chuck the antipodean insults be my guest, just try to be a little bit clever.

Forget biting, you hurle the abuse/names/childish comments, then expect them in return or you could always ;)

it's hilarious isn't it, someone said I was fat so it must be true, despite the fact that I weigh less than the accuser.

chin humping?

seriously?

93955[/snapback]

Fucking chomp, FATSO! ;) And yes, I probably do weigh more than you, but I'm half a foot taller. You are definitely the roundest though. Now lose the weight like you assured me you could and all of this can stop, fat boy. :razz:

I've gone for who embodies their spirit rather than their sound

Robbie Williams - Cliff Richard ;)

Lightning Bolt - Led Zepellin

Devendra Banhart - Bob Dylan

Soulwax - Jive Bunny

Buck 65 - Leadbelly

Radiohead - Pink Floyd

McFly - The Beatles

Daft Punk - Benny Goodman

And like Edan says, Lenny Kravitz imitates Jimi Hendrix in every facet.

94044[/snapback]

He couldn't be said to embody his spirit though could he? ;)

94048[/snapback]

He likes to think he does, but he actually embodies the spirit of Hank Marvin.

And like Edan says, Lenny Kravitz imitates Jimi Hendrix in every facet.

94044[/snapback]

He couldn't be said to embody his spirit though could he? ;)

94048[/snapback]

He likes to think he does, but he actually embodies the spirit of Hank Marvin.

94052[/snapback]

First thing I think of when I think of Hendrix is his originality. Unlucky Lenny.