Smoking Ban

Jusoda Kid

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can still inhale 2nd hand smoke regardless.

94476[/snapback]

Bet your up for a car ban as well then, can still inhale 2nd hand car fumes

94478[/snapback]

Not in a bar or restaurant, there's a big difference between second hand cigarrette smoke and car exhaust.

As far as i'm concerned, smokers should keep their cancer to themselves.

I'm an non-smoker and I don't like being in smoky areas, but frankly this bill they've passed is fucking ridiculous!

Freedom of choice - people should be allowed to smoke (in designated areas), non-smokers have a choice to mingle with them if they so choose and are fully aware of the implications should they do so...

A blanket ban is a piss take and totally unenforceable!

I am also a non smoker and I feel it will be very hard to enforce.

I hate the habit but I don't bleat on about it I leave that to the born again non smokers!! that have recently kicked the evil drug addiction. ;)

Who was it that said that "having a no-smoking area in a restaurant is like having a no-pissing section in a swimming pool". No smoking sections don't work cos the stuff gets everywhere and stinks the place out. FACT!

Having lived in California where a no-smoking ban has been passed and works absolutely fine, I don't see how people think that this is "unenforceable". If someone smokes, they get chucked out. Simple as that. Admittedly it's a bit more pleasant in California to duck outside for a tab cos it's rarely lashing down, but that's the smoker's choice I'm afraid.

I'm all for the ban personally - non-smokers will be amazed what a difference it makes to go to a pub that doesn't absolutely reek of smoke, and to be able to come home with your clothes not absolutely minging of the stuff. Being out with smokers doesn't bother me because you take it as given that there are going to be people smoking, but I really noticed it at first when I came back from America.

I'm looking forward to it. And if you smoke and you aren't, tough. ;)

Who was it that said that "having a no-smoking area in a restaurant is like having a no-pissing section in a swimming pool".  No smoking sections don't work cos the stuff gets everywhere and stinks the place out.  FACT!

Having lived in California where a no-smoking ban has been passed and works absolutely fine, I don't see how people think that this is "unenforceable".  If someone smokes, they get chucked out.  Simple as that.  Admittedly it's a bit more pleasant in California to duck outside for a tab cos it's rarely lashing down, but that's the smoker's choice I'm afraid.

I'm all for the ban personally - non-smokers will be amazed what a difference it makes to go to a pub that doesn't absolutely reek of smoke, and to be able to come home with your clothes not absolutely minging of the stuff.  Being out with smokers doesn't bother me because you take it as given that there are going to be people smoking, but I really noticed it at first when I came back from America.

I'm looking forward to it.  And if you smoke and you aren't, tough. :razz:

94546[/snapback]

Agree completely Gemmill.

I would just like to add if you smoke you are officially an idiot: FACT! ;)

Its always the same - "it'll be the end of life as we know it"

like shopping on Sundays, Retail proce maintenance, afternoon opening, late night opening, decimal currency, th eNational Book Agreement, currency control, Centigrade.......................

Long over due and it will protect the porest people in society most TBH

Edited by Rob W

like shopping on Sundays, Retail proce maintenance, afternoon opening, late night opening, decimal currency, th eNational Book Agreement, currency control, Centigrade.......................

94568[/snapback]

You forgot "the wheel", old-timer. ;)

Having lived in California where a no-smoking ban has been passed and works absolutely fine, I don't see how people think that this is "unenforceable".  If someone smokes, they get chucked out.  Simple as that.

94546[/snapback]

Don't you think there's more of smoking culture in Britain though? Especially Working Mens Clubs? I was going to pop down there last night to see the chairs flying through the windows after the vote. ;) The place is a tabbers haven, it seems like everyone in there smokes apart from a small handfull. They recently brought about a rule where they banned smoking at the bar and there was fucking hell on!

Still, it will be nice to sup my pint in there without feeling like I've had a packet of tabs myself. :razz:

By the way Gemmill, how bad was it when you worked in the bookies? Far worse for smoke in there than pubs imo, them were the days I needed two showers after 7 hours of working in smoke!

Having lived in California where a no-smoking ban has been passed and works absolutely fine, I don't see how people think that this is "unenforceable".  If someone smokes, they get chucked out.  Simple as that.

94546[/snapback]

Don't you think there's more of smoking culture in Britain though? Especially Working Mens Clubs? I was going to pop down there last night to see the chairs flying through the windows after the vote. ;) The place is a tabbers haven, it seems like everyone in there smokes apart from a small handfull. They recently brought about a rule where they banned smoking at the bar and there was fucking hell on!

Still, it will be nice to sup my pint in there without feeling like I've had a packet of tabs myself. :razz:

By the way Gemmill, how bad was it when you worked in the bookies? Far worse for smoke in there than pubs imo, them were the days I needed two showers after 7 hours of working in smoke!

94571[/snapback]

Presumably he went to bed stinking of smoke, as he showers in the morning.

Dunno whether Wacky Jnr is indigo on N-O, but read the equivalent thread over there and the same points have come up...

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/...ic,15252.0.html

I'm quite clearly not the same poster as Brock Manson btw.  :razz:

94501[/snapback]

Hey :blush:

My sentiments have been mirrored elsewhere on this thread. :rolleyes:

Just bloody go outside if you're desperate for a tab surely? ;)

94546[/snapback]

Still, it will be nice to sup my pint in there without feeling like I've had a packet of tabs myself. :blush:

94571[/snapback]

Presumably he went to bed stinking of smoke, as he showers in the morning.

94574[/snapback]

Wrong. I did used to go to bed stinking of smoke, but that's because I worked in a nightclub AFTER the bookies and wasn't about to come home and wake myself up by having a shower at 3 or 4am. :rolleyes:

SLP, it was disgusting working in the bookies. I used to get minging headaches because of the smoke - the state of some of the people you used to get in there though. There was this old biddy called Pat who had literally no fingernails left cos she'd bitten them completely off whilst nervously awaiting the result of her 3pence tricast on the dogs. She came in when we opened the doors, and she left when we closed having spent probably 50 pence all day. :razz:

I'm not sure about a smoking culture in the US vs. here. By the time I got there the ban was already well underway so you didn't really see what it was like before then. I get what you're saying about working men's clubs and that, but (as a non-smoker obviously) I see it as a good thing. It'll hopefully discourage kids from getting into tabbing in the first place, if they can't do it in pubs, although probably not cos they'll be addicted by the time they graduate from the bus shelter.

I can remember being told I wasn't allowed to smoke anywhere in the Hard Rock Cafe in New York in 1996, which I found pretty wierd, especially given the name of the place. If the US can impose mandatory smoking bans, so can we. They've also managed it in Ireland, which is quite similar to us, without many problems as far as I know.

Great news. One of my friends has just given up and often feels tempted to have a tab when he's been drinking on a night out. Now he can't (without going outside) he's a lot less likely to suffer from a relapse. Hurrah!

94623[/snapback]

"One of my friends" eh? Sounds like he means a bit more than that to you tbh. ;)

Great news. One of my friends has just given up and often feels tempted to have a tab when he's been drinking on a night out. Now he can't (without going outside) he's a lot less likely to suffer from a relapse. Hurrah!

94623[/snapback]

"One of my friends" eh? Sounds like he means a bit more than that to you tbh. ;)

94631[/snapback]

Well of course, the main reason I'm pleased is that he won't taste of smoke anymore. :razz: