Counting the cost

Bombadil

Counting the cost?

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

The fall-out from Nicky Butt's tantrum at St Andrew's could go on to have costly consequences for Newcastle finances as Birmingham boss Steve Bruce considers whether to continue his relationship with the troubled player.

And with Hugo Viana almost certain to return to St James's Park this summer having failed to make an impact at Valencia, it seems United's rebuilding plans could be jeopardised by two highly-paid but unwanted players.

Butt and Viana both signed lucrative deals 18 months ago to commit themselves to the Magpies until the end of the 2007-08 campaign and, unless buyers can be found, they will return in July with two years remaining on their respective contracts.

It had been hoped that the season-long loan moves the duo made last summer would result in permanent transfers, with Birmingham and Valencia having signed the players with a view to full-time transfers.

But as both have endured various problems this season, it has left their futures shrouded in doubt. The fact that it will be Newcastle who will pick up the pieces should the pair return to Tyneside must concern a chairman keen to reduce the club's expenditure.

Butt's behaviour at Upton Park on Monday must have heightened the fears of Freddie Shepherd that United will again find themselves responsible for the 30-year-old's sizeable salary this summer.

The former England schemer walked out of Birmingham's team hotel and returned home after being told he was not in the squad to face West Ham United.

Bruce is considering what action to take against his former Old Trafford team-mate but he has taken a dim view of Butt's indiscipline. The two men are scheduled to meet this morning for talks. Butt is expected to be fined for his actions but, although he last night made an apology, the damage has been done.

The player's unpopularity at St Andrew's was already an issue and, given the furore over Monday's indiscretion, it seems he has no long-term future in the West Midlands.

"I made a decision that I regret, a decision that was made on the spur of the moment and while I was feeling totally dejected," he said in a statement. "It was the wrong decision and unacceptable.

"I would like to apologise unreservedly to the manager, coaching staff, team-mates and fans. There's no doubt we are in a battle and it is important that we all stick together. I want to be a part of that and make a contribution."

Although Bruce cannot send the midfielder back to Tyneside before the summer without United's agreement, it now seems his days are numbered in the West Midlands.

Should City go down, Butt is certain to depart St Andrew's. Even if the Blues do survive, it remains to be seen whether Bruce would retain the services of a player who has failed to enhance his reputation since leaving Manchester United in 2004.

Given how far his stock has fallen in the last 18 months, it is unlikely the Magpies could find another top-flight club willing to match Butt's wage demands, leaving an expensive problem.

Butt is understood to be earning around £40,000 a week but has done nothing to justify such a salary. Coupled with Viana's contract, the return of the pair would add a vast sum to United's wage bill.

When Graeme Souness attempted to strengthen his depleted squad last month, he was denied the resources to fund a loan deal for the players he believed could save United's season. In such an uncertain financial climate, the prospect of paying so much to two men surplus to requirements is troubling.

Meanwhile, former Newcastle player Patrick Kluivert has been ruled out of action for two months following knee surgery yesterday. The Dutch striker, on loan at St James's Park last season, has made just six starts in 15 appearances this season for Valencia.

£40,000 a week for an uninterested waster, and he's still got two years on his contract! We'll never get rid of him now that even Bruce has realised what he's about - he was our only hope...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our new boss might be able to make a player of Viana. He sounded interested for a bit in coming back until Souness didn't give him the "put an arm around him" treatment when we played them in the UEFA.

Hopefully one of the newly promoted teams will foolishly think that Nicky Butt is the sort of player they need. It would be good to see his career in freefall - serves him right, as far as I'm concerned it was him that decided we were beneath him and his performances demonstrated that, the little get.

Our new boss might be able to make a player of Viana.  He sounded interested for a bit in coming back until Souness didn't give him the "put an arm around him" treatment when we played them in the UEFA. 

Hopefully one of the newly promoted teams will foolishly think that Nicky Butt is the sort of player they need.  It would be good to see his career in freefall - serves him right, as far as I'm concerned it was him that decided we were beneath him and his performances demonstrated that, the little get.

94562[/snapback]

I think there may well be one or two managers interested in him, but the wages he's on at the moment have got to be a problem. Even half of that will be too much for a newly-promoted club to pay for an ageing, past-it player like Butt.

Maybe Viana is worth once last try, if a new mananger comes in with a new system he might just be able to make a player out of him. Butt on the other hand, can fuck right off.

94592[/snapback]

I hope Viana can be useful, but he hasn't made much impact in Spain (according to that article), so why would he be any better here?

Maybe Viana is worth once last try, if a new mananger comes in with a new system he might just be able to make a player out of him. Butt on the other hand, can fuck right off.

94592[/snapback]

I hope Viana can be useful, but he hasn't made much impact in Spain (according to that article), so why would he be any better here?

94597[/snapback]

I've always said he doesn't look like a player who can play in the Premier League, the pace and physical side of it have been too much for him. However, I've come to the point of view that if we're going to be stuck with him then we may as well try him again, see if he's learnt anything while being out on loan.

94592[/snapback]

94597[/snapback]

Because he scored an absolute belter against Feyenoord back when we were in the CL and he's one of me fave toon players ;)

I hope that a new manager could find a way to get the most out of Viana though, never really got the chance to see him play in his preferred position did we?

But what I don't understand is why he never properly settled in...Convey at Reading had the same trouble; always pushed off the ball but he went down the gym over the summer and this season is a key contributor to Reading's league position.

Get on the weights Hugo.

While I don't have a lot of faith in either player 'coming good' for the Toon, it's got to be in the best interests of the club for whoever is manager next season to give them a go.

94592[/snapback]

94597[/snapback]

I've always said he doesn't look like a player who can play in the Premier League, the pace and physical side of it have been too much for him. However, I've come to the point of view that if we're going to be stuck with him then we may as well try him again, see if he's learnt anything while being out on loan.

94607[/snapback]

I know, but isn't the Spanish league meant to be slower/less physical? If he can't cut it there, then how can he here?

I would only give Viana a try if we don't find anyone offering a decent price (~ 2m). But I think he has already wasted his talent. And I don't know how stupid he could be to go to Valencia as there was no way he would force his way into their team even as he was signed as replacement for Edu.

Only good aspect to Nicky Butts Toon career was the fact he openly admitted to being embarrassed by his own and his teams performance in Cardiff.

At least he had the balls to leave the pitch with his head down and not hang around for the sickening applause handed out to his team mates by the the fucking idiots in the stands.

Only good aspect to Nicky Butts Toon career was the fact he openly admitted to being embarrassed by his own and his teams performance in Cardiff.

At least he had the balls to leave the pitch with his head down and not hang around for the sickening applause handed out to his team mates by the the fucking idiots in the stands.

94659[/snapback]

Oooooooh, contraversial. ;)

94659[/snapback]

Oooooooh, contraversial. :razz:

94669[/snapback]

In his revised soopafan rule book UM stated anyone who applauded the players after the match at Cardiff had to have their membership revoked. Ironically over on N-O he celebrated the actions of Bowyer in the home match against Villa last season, even though it meant both he and Dyer were suspended for Cardiff semi. Before he was banned from posting for racist comments ;)

94659[/snapback]

Oooooooh, contraversial. :razz:

94669[/snapback]

In his revised soopafan rule book UM stated anyone who applauded the players after the match at Cardiff had to have their membership revoked. Ironically over on N-O he celebrated the actions of Bowyer in the home match against Villa last season, even though it meant both he and Dyer were suspended for Cardiff semi. Before he was banned from posting for racist comments ;)

94679[/snapback]

Rightly so. Anyone who even attended the semi final should be lined up against a wall and shot IMO.

Alex (male or female? never quite sure)

1, Where you at Cardiff?

2, Where you happy with what you saw?

3, Did you applaud abject failure?

Can you understand why the Club are incapable of winning anything when we accept defeat with applause?

94703[/snapback]

*were

tbh

Oh, and Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!