R.I.P G'Kar

Bizza

Babylon 5's Katsulas Dies

Andreas Katsulas, the character actor known to SF fans as G'Kar on Babylon 5 and a familiar face from Star Trek and other SF&F TV shows, died Feb. 13 of lung cancer in Los Angeles, his agent, Donna Massetti, confirmed to SCI FI Wire. He was 59.

Katsulas, a longtime resident of Los Angeles, played the Narn ambassador G'Kar for five years in the syndicated cult TV series Babylon 5, starting in 1993. He reprised the role in subsequent Babylon 5 telefilms.

Katsulas was also no stranger to Trek fans, playing Romulan Cmdr. Tomalak in Star Trek: The Next Generation. His last appearance in a Trek series was as a Vissian captain on an episode of Enterprise.

Born in St. Louis, Katsulas held a master's degree in theater from Indiana University, his official Web site said. After performing in plays in St. Louis, New York and Boston, he went on to film roles in such movies as Michael Cimino's The Sicilian, which brought him to Los Angeles, then in Ridley Scott's Someone to Watch Over Me and Blake Edward's Sunset.

Katsulas moved to Los Angeles permanently in 1986 and found scores of television and film parts in everything from TV's Alien Nation and Max Headroom to the big screen's The Fugitive, in which he played the infamous one-armed man, and Executive Decision opposite Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal.

Information on memorial services was pending at press time.

Source

Genuinely gutted abut this. I'm a huge B5 fan and he was one of the best characters on the show and his petty bickering with Londo was hilarious. R.I.P :lol:

Andreas Katsulas, the character actor known to SF fans as G'Kar on Babylon 5 and a familiar face from Star Trek and other SF&F TV shows, died Feb. 13 of lung cancer in Los Angeles, his agent, Donna Massetti, confirmed to SCI FI Wire. He was 59.

Katsulas, a longtime resident of Los Angeles, played the Narn ambassador G'Kar for five years in the syndicated cult TV series Babylon 5, starting in 1993. He reprised the role in subsequent Babylon 5 telefilms.

Katsulas was also no stranger to Trek fans, playing Romulan Cmdr. Tomalak in Star Trek: The Next Generation. His last appearance in a Trek series was as a Vissian captain on an episode of Enterprise.

Born in St. Louis, Katsulas held a master's degree in theater from Indiana University, his official Web site said. After performing in plays in St. Louis, New York and Boston, he went on to film roles in such movies as Michael Cimino's The Sicilian, which brought him to Los Angeles, then in Ridley Scott's Someone to Watch Over Me and Blake Edward's Sunset.

Katsulas moved to Los Angeles permanently in 1986 and found scores of television and film parts in everything from TV's Alien Nation and Max Headroom to the big screen's The Fugitive, in which he played the infamous one-armed man, and Executive Decision opposite Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal.

Source

Genuinely gutted abut this. I'm a huge B5 fan and he was one of the best characters on the show and his petty bickering with Londo was hilarious. R.I.P :lol:

94858[/snapback]

Seconded - RIP

Richatd Biggs (Franklin) and Tim Choate (Zathras) have both died young in the last couple of years - bit of a curse.

Man, Katsulas was such a great actor. Convincing in almost every role.

Sad to see so many dying--I loved that show (as you can tell from my user name)

Edited by Zathras

Source

94858[/snapback]

Seconded - RIP

Richatd Biggs (Franklin) and Tim Choate (Zathras) have both died young in the last couple of years - bit of a curse.

95347[/snapback]

Fuck, I knew Choate was dead but Biggs? I didn't know that. How'd he die?

Just over a year ago, Andreas Katsulas -- who loved smoking with a

passion that cannot be described -- was diagnosed with lung cancer,

which by then had already spread to other areas. He quit smoking at

once and went on a healthy diet and vitamin program, but there was

little hope of a good resolution even though the new regimen was very

good for him. When we spoke about it, he laughed, and said, "Now that

I'm dying I've never felt better!"

His spirits were always up and positive, putting everyone at ease about

his condition, because...well, that's the kind of person he was.

A couple of months ago, he and his wife convened a dinner with me,

Doug, and Peter Jurasik, which was filled with laughter and stories and

good food. He wanted to know all the stories we never told him

because, as he said, "Who am I going to tell?" So we did. Because we

knew we were saying goodbye, and there would not be a second chance.

Last night, in the company of his wife and family, Andreas closed his

eyes and went away.

He lived an amazing life...full of travel and wonder and good

work...was part of the world renowned Peter Brook company...he saw the

planet, loved and was loved, ate at great restaurants, smoked too many

cigarettes...he lived a life some people would die for.

And, sadly, due to the last part of that equation...he did.

Memorial arrangements are still being worked out, but will doubtless be

private.

Andreas is gone...and G'Kar with him, because no one else can ever play

that role, or ever will.

I will miss him terribly.

J. Michael Straczynski

Yesterday, Andreas Katsulas lost his battle with cancer and passed away.

Andreas was a wonderful actor, always grateful to be where he was. A quiet man with an acerbic sense of humor who always delivered the punchline perfectly.

He was a father and a husband and a friend. Even though he put himself down, his soulful blues vocals on "The Be Five" album we made together always were, and always will be my favorites. "How Was I to Know It Would End This Way?"

He will be missed.

-Bill Mumy

Edited by Zathras

Heart attack May 2004 aged 44

:o Bad craic that.

Im proud to say....

"I havent got a fuickin clue what you lot are on about" :lol:

95362[/snapback]

The best TV show ever - FACT.

(Babylon 5)

95368[/snapback]

:angry: