Newcastle job interests Ranieri

Shearergol

Former Chelsea boss Claudio Ranieri says he could be interested in the vacant manager's position at Newcastle.

The Italian has emerged as one of the favourites to replace Graeme Souness at St James' Park.

He told BBC Sport: "Newcastle is one of the best clubs in England. They are a good, ambitious team and that is very important for me."

But Ranieri, who has been out of management since last February, said he had not yet been contacted by the club.

He said: "I came from Italy yesterday and at the moment there is nothing."

Ranieri, 53, was sacked by Chelsea at the end of the 2003/2004 season after leading the Blues to second place in the Premiership and the semi-finals of the Champions League.

He then succeeded Rafael Benitez at Spanish champions Valencia but was sacked after just eight months in the job.

The Italian is now eager to return to manage in the Premiership.

"I've worked in Italy, in Spain and in England, but at the top I put England," he said.

"I love England because of the atmosphere and the fans. If possible, I would like to return to work in England."

He added: "I am looking for another good job with a club who has ambition.

"Newcastle is a good team, an ambitious team. It is one of the best clubs in England."

:lol: Bless him

If it is the case that you need just a first 11 and three or four more players, then why did Christopher Columbus sail to India to discover America?" - Why indeed?

"Football managers are like a parachutist. At times it doesn't open. Here, it is an umbrella. You understand, Mary Poppins?" - Nope. No. Not at all. Sorry Dick.

"Damien is Damien. When I don't put him in the squad my mother, who's 84, asks 'why isn't Damien playing?' She kills me about it and that's true" - Mrs Ranieri has a thing for little Irish men.

"My only technical adviser is my mother. When I told her that Damien had injured his shoulder again, she said 'oh no!' Who should replace him? I will call her before the game to ask." - This is getting worrying.

"He's a crazy man" - Ranieri on Ranieri.

"They showed good stamina and good vitamins" - The Arsenal win explained.

"Before you kill me, you call me the 'dead man walking'. I must buy you an espresso. But only a little one - I am Scottish!"

"Two years ago I watched Carlton play for the reserves and I saw two animals in him - one was a rabbit and the other a lion. I want to see that lion come out in him more often" - Ranieri on Carlton Cole.

"He is my new little lion. And I like lions" - Ranieri on Hernan Crespo.

"He is like a shark, like Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink" - Ranieri on Mutu. But then...

"I once said Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is like a shark and Carlton Cole like a lion. Well, Adrian Mutu is another born predator. In fact, Mutu is like a snake" - Ranieri changes his mind and completes his zoo.

"I am happy when our fans are happy, when our players are happy and our chairman is on the moon" - Well, when your chairman's Ken Bates...

"One coach was training a player's hair, and another was training another part of his body" - Now that's what we call the personal touch.

"One beautiful day, a radiant day, Mr Abramovich introduced himself to me and said I should put a shopping list together" - Claudio Ranieri. Poet.

"When I talk to the players I speak first of all in English, then I say 'sorry, now I will speak in Spanish, or Italian. Then on the touchline I speak another language so the other manager doesn't understand what I am saying!" - Explaining it all.

"When are you coming, Sven?" - Ranieri's words of greeting to Sven when the two met at Highbury last season.

"I can't change now. I'm like Frank Sinatra - I always do it my way. I told the players everything I did in the Monaco game was wrong. I changed things to win the match - but we lost and I was thinking "Oh f*** Claudio, why, why? Bad Tinkerman!"

"I think Veron is the best midfielder in the world" - The funniest of the lot.

I changed things to win the match - but we lost and I was thinking "Oh f*** Claudio, why, why? Bad Tinkerman!"

:lol:

He would be quality entertainment like, and he would drive Alan Oliver up the wall by giving him total nonsense instead of exclusives.

He's actually a good manager though. He took Cagliari from Serie C to Serie A, won two Italian Cups with Fiorentina, made Valencia the team they were late 90s, and did pretty well with Chelsea.

Plus he speaks Italian, English, and broken Spanish, which you can see in his dossier on www.wewantthetinkerman.com.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

He's actually a good manager though. He took Cagliari from Serie C to Serie A, won two Italian Cups with Fiorentina, made Valencia the team they were late 90s, and did pretty well with Chelsea.

Plus he speaks Italian, English, and broken Spanish, which you can see in his dossier on www.wewantthetinkerman.com.

95218[/snapback]

Agreed, he's a better manager than he's given credit for.

I've said this before, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Ranieri. He doesn't get enough credit for his time at Chelsea, especially when you think that he did well with them pre-Abramovich.

Not my first choice (not even my third choice), but a hell of a lot better than all the usual British suspects combined (O'Neill and Allardyce excluded).