Supermac on Parker

sweetleftpeg

Anyone tune in to the 3 Legends last night? I only really listen to it on a Tuesday (stuck in traffic coming back from football) but it was very good last night. Basically, early on some guy came on to ask Supermac what his problem with Parker was and he answered with this statement;

'He's a crowd pleaser, but not a team player.'

Supermacs argument is that Parker throws himself in too much and is always on his arse, and the rest of the team (Supermac reckons) are probably pissed off with him for this. Claims his antics put us under pressure and will always cost us goals when he's in the side.

What do people think? Do you agree with him? I don't see that at all but Supermac is convinced. I'm willing to be proved wrong on this if anyone agrees with him.

I think he's digging a deeper hole for himself tbh. He was magnificent against Villa and Pompey. EDIT: I don't see how anyone working their bollocks off and throwing himself into tackles is playing for himself.

Edited by alex

Still remember the game where Parker pushed himself until he couldn't carry on.

From that point he became a legend in my eyes. :lol: Class player whom we got for an absolute bargain.

Bet he's pissed off he didn't go to spurs mind...

Guest CrimsonFault
Still remember the game where Parker pushed himself until he couldn't carry on.

From that point he became a legend in my eyes.  :lol: Class player whom we got for an absolute bargain.

Bet he's pissed off he didn't go to spurs mind...

95170[/snapback]

They've got Jenas man! Would'nt have got a game tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I like Supermac. I don't always agree with him but I enjoyed his book and he seems like a canny bloke. However, his issue with Parker is becoming a bit of a joke. Gates put it to him that 99% of NUFC fans ringing were in support of Parker and thought Supermac was wrong so that told it's own story. Supermac then waffled on about the majority aren't always right (fair point) and we're all wearing rose tinted glasses ( © Leazesmag) because Parker puts in crunching tackles which is a fans favourite. Canny patronising I thought like.

Don't get me wrong, I like Supermac. I don't always agree with him but I enjoyed his book and he seems like a canny bloke. However, his issue with Parker is becoming a bit of a joke. Gates put it to him that 99% of NUFC fans ringing were in support of Parker and thought Supermac was wrong so that told it's own story. Supermac then waffled on about the majority aren't always right (fair point) and we're all wearing rose tinted glasses ( © Leazesmag) because Parker puts in crunching tackles which is a fans favourite. Canny patronising I thought like.

95172[/snapback]

I think if the fans were split, he'd have a point. However, just about the worst thing I've heard from fans (think Renton said this) is that he's overrated in the eyes of some (which is fair point). God know's where we'd be without him this season though.

Parker is here on big wages after a big fee was paid for him. I personally think he doesn't create enough or score enough in a 4-4-2 formation. He'd be the perfect 'Makalele' clone in a 5 man midfield but is a bit of a passenger as far as creativity from midfield is concerned.

He needs to up his forward play or his long term use to the team will be negligable.

Parker is here on big wages after a big fee was paid for him. I personally think he doesn't create enough or score enough in a 4-4-2 formation. He'd be the perfect 'Makalele' clone in a 5 man midfield but is a bit of a passenger as far as creativity from midfield is concerned.

He needs to up his forward play or his long term use to the team will be negligable.

95192[/snapback]

That's fair enough like, it'll be interesting to see how/where he plays under the new manager though.

95192[/snapback]

I quite agree with that actually.

Mind you MM is overly negative about the lad when there are plenty of other places to apportion blame. I'm hoping he will continue to improve under the new management.

95192[/snapback]

i think that was deinitely the case under souness but in the last two games under roeder he's looked far more like the old box to box player he was with charlton.

he definitely hasn't scored enough goals so far but it'll be interesting to see if that stat changes now he seems to have been given more of a license to bomb up and down the pitch rather than just sit and hold the midfield like he was doing under souness.

There is the possibility that he doesn't create enough but that's not what he's there for at the end of the day.

You could argue that a midfield of Emre and Dyer or Bowyer would be more creative but then I would argue that they wouldn't get the ball enough to show their creativity so we'd be worse off and add to that they would leave an already dodgy defense terribly exposed. We've tried that sort of thing before and it's failed spectacularly.

The best midfield we've had for years was when we had Speed, Dyer, Solano and Robert with Speed more or less doing the Parker job but they still left the defense over exposed at times. Parker is more controlled than Speed but at this stage he doesn't offer as much going forward (although the fact that every pass he makes isn't misplaced is an improvement on the latter day Speed at least).

I think he could push on a bit more especially at home (and I think he probably will now that Souness has gone).

But think MM is completly off his rocker saying that he's probably pissing off his team mates because I am certainly they are incredibly releaved that he is doing so much of their work.

And I agree with Brock, games like the Arse and the Portsmouth ones have made him a legend in my eyes.

He may be completely wrong about Parker, but he has a point when he says that a lot of people will be prepared to forgive certain types of player anything so long as they "give a 110%" and fly into every 50-50 tackle. Again though, that has nothing do with Parker because he's actually a very good footballer.

He may be completely wrong about Parker, but he has a point when he says that a lot of people will be prepared to forgive certain types of player anything so long as they "give a 110%" and fly into every 50-50 tackle. Again though, that has nothing do with Parker because he's actually a very good footballer.

95272[/snapback]

So, in this case, he doesn't have a point? :lol:

95272[/snapback]

So, in this case, he doesn't have a point? :lol:

95276[/snapback]

Not in this particular case then, no. :o

Lets all hope Supermac gets back to what he's best at.

Drinking.

95162[/snapback]

:lol: Too true!

Seriously, I sometimes wonder what match Supermac is watching. Parker was immense against Portsmouth, breaking up attacks and feeding the other midfielders. How this can be considered not playing for the team I don't know. I really have no idea what is going on in his head although I suspect that he's even more stubborn than Freddy Shepherd and simply can't admit when he's made a mistake.

Guest CrimsonFault
parker's never scored many goals, don't expect him to start here

95302[/snapback]

The goal he scored for us though, you can't teach that sort of skill.

I can't believe the shite this bloke comes out with. There's not one Newcastle supporter I know who has a bad word against Parker. They all think he's one of our best players and probably the best in his position in the country.

Supermac! Shut yer fucking yap! Yer just annoying people. No one shares your view! :lol:

I heard this the other night too. Malcolm then went onto say towards the end of the call that Parker was a great player to have in your team! :o:lol:

I can't listen to those wankers anymore tbh, the shite they spout is incredible, the only time I tune in regularly is when they do 10 grand fan. Do they only do that in the close season?