Music people-help!!

Toonraider

I thought others might have tried to answer them first.

1. Name the two bands Robert Smith and Steve Severin were in? - Siouxie and the Banshees & The Glove

2. 1976 saw the rise of punk, who is credited with the 1st punk release? The Saints or The Ramones depending on who you speak to but they were both 6 months before the Pistols.

3. What was the original band name for

a. Joy Division? Warsaw

b. Inxs? The Farris Brothers

c. Starship? Jefferson Airplane >>> Jefferson Starship

4. Dave Jones, who are they? One is the lead singer of the Monkees and the other is David Bowie.

5. What is an EP, LP and how are they defined? EP is an extended play, LP is a long play > Both were 12" in vinyl records and LP is 8 songs or more and Ep is 7 songs or less. The Ramones once released and LP that was only 18 minutes in duration but because it had 12 songs on it it was an LP.

6. Mudhoney originally were named after what Creedence Clearwater Revival song? Green River

7. Name the significant alternative (Indie) music movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s? Punk > New Wave > Grunge or Shoegazing (your choice). You could possibly include Goth and Hardcore in there if you wanted but they are more genres.

8. Morphine the band consisted of what instruments? Barotone Sax, Two string slide bass guitar & dummer.

9. Pete Townsend allegedly suffers what disease? (no it's got nothing to do with kiddies) Tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears).

10. Name 5 bands that have appeared on the Simpsons? Red hot Chilli peppers, the who, spinal tap, aerosmith, kiss, U2, Tom Jones, Sonic Youth, Peter Frampton, Cypress Hill, Smashing Pumpkins, sting, Linda Ronstandt, Barry White, The b-Sharps (George Harrison & David Crosby), The Ramones, Johnny Cash, Moody Blues, Paul & Linda McCarthy, Cyndi Lauper, Dolly Parton, Elton John, Hank Williams Jr, Kid Rock, N'Sync, REM, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Setzer, Tom Petty, Lenny Kravitz, Elvis Costello - To name a few.

Any of these help? possibly!

95947[/snapback]

excellent sammy....now wheres the answers? :D

95970[/snapback]

Edited by sammynb

"Which blond-haired, ice-washed-denimed, white-shirt-and-trainer-wearing-rocker am I a spitting image of?"

95487[/snapback]

Too easy, top right :D

kajagoogoo.jpg

95490[/snapback]

who the fuck are those girly looking morons .....

here's a proper band for you

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...d-keywords=free

Edited by LeazesMag

I thought others might have tried to answer them first.

1. Name the two bands Robert Smith and Steve Severin were in? - Siouxie and the Banshees & The Glove

2. 1976 saw the rise of punk, who is credited with the 1st punk release? The Saints or The Ramones depending on who you speak to but they were both 6 months before the Pistols.

3. What was the original band name for

a. Joy Division? Warsaw

b. Inxs? The Farris Brothers

c. Starship? Jefferson Airplane >>> Jefferson Starship

4. Dave Jones, who are they? One is the lead singer of the Monkees and the other is David Bowie.

5. What is an EP, LP and how are they defined? EP is an extended play, LP is a long play > Both were 12" in vinyl records and LP is 8 songs or more and Ep is 7 songs or less. The Ramones once released and LP that was only 18 minutes in duration but because it had 12 songs on it it was an LP.

6. Mudhoney originally were named after what Creedence Clearwater Revival song? Green River

7. Name the significant alternative (Indie) music movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s? Punk > New Wave > Grunge or Shoegazing (your choice). You could possibly include Goth and Hardcore in there if you wanted but they are more genres.

8. Morphine the band consisted of what instruments? Barotone Sax, Two string slide bass guitar & dummer.

9. Pete Townsend allegedly suffers what disease? (no it's got nothing to do with kiddies) Tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears).

10. Name 5 bands that have appeared on the Simpsons? Red hot Chilli peppers, the who, spinal tap, aerosmith, kiss, U2, Tom Jones, Sonic Youth, Peter Frampton, Cypress Hill, Smashing Pumpkins, sting, Linda Ronstandt, Barry White, The b-Sharps (George Harrison & David Crosby), The Ramones, Johnny Cash, Moody Blues, Paul & Linda McCarthy, Cyndi Lauper, Dolly Parton, Elton John, Hank Williams Jr, Kid Rock, N'Sync, REM, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Setzer, Tom Petty, Lenny Kravitz, Elvis Costello - To name a few.

Any of these help? possibly!

95947[/snapback]

excellent sammy....now wheres the answers? :D

95970[/snapback]

97742[/snapback]

The first punk rock single is wideley accepted to be New Rose b The Damned.

EPs were 7inch records that played at 33rpm, as opposed to singles that were 7inch records that played at 45rpm and Albums that were 12 inch records that played at 33rpm

EPs were 7inch records that played at 33rpm, as opposed to singles that were 7inch records that played at 45rpm and Albums that were 12 inch records that played at 33rpm

97776[/snapback]

Maybe in the UK Bob but the rest of the world was already releasing punk records and it is a matter of months between them.

I'm Stranded by the Saints was released in September 1976, New Rose by the Damned in October 1976 and The Ramones by the Ramones in April 1976 - Aust, UK & US. Then on top of that you had Radio Birdman who were 60's garage punk but are now regarded as a 70s punk band, who released their first piece of music in 1975!

EPs weren't just 7" singles, they also came as 10" (JMC used to love to release them) and 12" 45rpms. If you look at it with CDs, they still release EPs and LPs, it is based on tracks not speed. I have a Procol Harum single that is a 2 track 7" 33rpm single. And what about the split EP 7" 45rpm single track one side and 2 tracks at 33rpm on the other. More than two tracks, less than 8. So what is it then an EP or a single? Lastly the Ramones LPs are an example of how track numbers define an LP, they had 12" 33rpm releases that ran for half the duration as other bands at the time and yet they were still LPs becasue they 12 plus tracks on them.

Edited by sammynb

97776[/snapback]

Maybe in the UK Bob but the rest of the world was already releasing punk records and it is a matter of months between them.

I'm Stranded by the Saints was released in September 1976, New Rose by the Damned in October 1976 and The Ramones by the Ramones in April 1976 - Aust, UK & US. Then on top of that you had Radio Birdman who were 60's garage punk but are now regarded as a 70s punk band, who released their first piece of music in 1975!

EPs weren't just 7" singles, they also came as 10" (JMC used to love to release them) and 12" 45rpms. If you look at it with CDs, they still release EPs and LPs, it is based on tracks not speed. I have a Procol Harum single that is a 2 track 7" 33rpm single. And what about the split EP 7" 45rpm single track one side and 2 tracks at 33rpm on the other. More than two tracks, less than 8. So what is it then an EP or a single? Lastly the Ramones LPs are an example of how track numbers define an LP, they had 12" 33rpm releases that ran for half the duration as other bands at the time and yet they were still LPs becasue they 12 plus tracks on them.

98258[/snapback]

I am aware of the time of the dates of the releases, but they were not punk releases simply because punk at that stage was a british movement. The Ramones though a massive influence on punk and a band who were adopted by punk or more accurately new wave, saw themselves as a garage band. And lets face it the Saints were from Australia.......

Having said that I loved the Saints Know your product.. what a song

I am aware of the time of the dates of the releases, but they were not punk releases simply because punk at that stage was a british movement. The Ramones though a massive influence on punk and a band who were adopted by punk or more accurately new wave, saw themselves as a garage band. And lets face it the Saints were from Australia.......

Having said that I loved the Saints  Know your product.. what a song

98264[/snapback]

So what you're suffering from some sort of music elitism?

Were the Clash really punk? They could play their instruments and their influences were r'n'b (not that shite we suffer now) and reggae/ska. Topper Headon also played in shite 60s bands and was 10 years older than those of the "punk" movement.

How about the Buzzcocks?

How about the Cure's 1st release? New Wave didn't exist as a musical movement in 1977. So was the music punk or a garage band.

Punk wasn't just a UK thing as I said before.

Know your product was the best song that the Saints wrote but I'm stranded was impressive as well.

Edited by sammynb

Having said that I loved the Saints  Know your product.. what a song

98264[/snapback]

So what you're suffering from some sort of music elitism?

Were the Clash really punk? They could play their instruments and their influences were r'n'b (not that shite we suffer now) and reggae/ska. Topper Headon also played in shite 60s bands and was 10 years older than those of the "punk" movement.

How about the Buzzcocks?

How about the Cure's 1st release? New Wave didn't exist as a musical movement in 1977. So was the music punk or a garage band.

Punk wasn't just a UK thing as I said before.

Know your product was the best song that the Saint wrote but I'm stranded was impressive as well.

98267[/snapback]

No you misunderstand my point. It is impossible to look back and pinpoint the first "punk" release now. What would you choose MC5? Iggy and the Stooges? New York Dolls? etc. At the time the Damned single was considered the first release.

No you misunderstand my point.  It is impossible to look back and pinpoint the first "punk" release now. What would you choose MC5? Iggy and the Stooges? New York Dolls? etc. At the time the Damned single was considered the first release.

98272[/snapback]

Probably The Stooges (Iggy was only a part of them) if you want to be pedantic.

I didn't misunderstand your point but was pointing out that the questions answers which I gave are those recognised by the music "world" and not just the UK.

And hence in many ways it is a trick and ambiguous question.

The one fault in your arguement Bob about the Ramones being a "garage band" is in the title of their songs:

Judy was a (what?)

Sheena is a (what) rocker?

They knew exactly what punk was and they were part of it.

You didn't need a mohawk or to carve words in your chest to be punk.

Have you ever seen the doco on the Ramones?

No you misunderstand my point.  It is impossible to look back and pinpoint the first "punk" release now. What would you choose MC5? Iggy and the Stooges? New York Dolls? etc. At the time the Damned single was considered the first release.

98272[/snapback]

Probably The Stooges (Iggy was only a part of them) if you want to be pedantic.

I didn't misunderstand your point but was pointing out that the questions answers which I gave are those recognised by the music "world" and not just the UK.

And hence in many ways it is a trick and ambiguous question.

The one fault in your arguement Bob about the Ramones being a "garage band" is in the title of their songs:

Judy was a (what?)

Sheena is a (what) rocker?

They knew exactly what punk was and they were part of it.

You didn't need a mohawk or to carve words in your chest to be punk.

Have you ever seen the doco on the Ramones?

98273[/snapback]

If you mean "End of the Century" yes Ive got it. I stand behind no man in my love of the Ramones.

Again at the time The damned single was considered the first single. If you want to disagree from an international historical perspective feel free. The american term punk wasnt new...............

Hold up what does it matter, I think we are probably just arguing semantics here.

I am just going to have a quick moment of nostalgia instead. Ramones Saints Buzzcocks Undertones TVpersonalities the boys, the lurkers ...thems were the days

If you mean "End of the Century" yes Ive got it. I stand behind no man in my love of the Ramones. 

Again at the time The damned single was considered the first single. If you want to disagree from an international historical perspective feel free. The american term punk wasnt new...............

Hold up what does it matter, I think we are probably just arguing semantics here.

I am just going to have a quick moment of nostalgia instead.  Ramones Saints Buzzcocks Undertones TVpersonalities the boys, the lurkers  ...thems were the days

98276[/snapback]

Yes I did mean end of the century - sorry I forgot the title.

Awesome film and quite hard to watch when you know they have all passed on.

I watched The Clash - Westway to the World the other night and it made me quite sad to think that Joe Strummer is gone.

Yes we just arging semantics, so I suggest that if toonraider uses the question she should except one of the 3 answers depending on the nationality of the quiz answeree.

Don't forget to listen to your copy of "know your product" in your retrospective.

SpongeBob have you seen a doco called Attitude: Punk?

It was on television here last night and after our conversation yesterday I had to watch it. With the exception of Australian music it covered the discussion we had to the letter.

From Richard Hell being credited with the punk look. In 1975 Malcolm Mclaren saw him play in New York at CBGBs and took it back to London and started the shop.

Ramones credited with the trash punk sound - Mick Jones is interviewed and states how they were in awe.

It was quite funny watching all these UK punk icons credit MC5, The Stooges, New York Dolls, Richard Hell and the Voids, The Dictators, Television and The Ramones as the start of the sound.

The saddest thing was seeing Souxie as an over weight, old goth (still dressed in balck, white make-up, black lips.

I amost cried. She was so gorgeous and every goth/punk boys fantasy.

If you can make sure you see it.

Edit: And I forgot J69 there was a whole bunch of interviews with Rollins, the original singer from Black Flag/circle jerks, bad brains, Jello Biafra and a host of others talking about how the straight edge movement was such a joke to punk and it's development.

Edited by sammynb

"Name the significant alternative (Indie) music movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s?" isn't much better. VAGUENONFACTTASTIC tbh. :P

99236[/snapback]

Oh that's right lets all gang up on the stoopid australian that actually made an effort to help unlike you eurovision promise everything deliver nothing or you U2 are the most influencial band in the world, ever, fact, types! ;)

"Name the significant alternative (Indie) music movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s?" isn't much better. VAGUENONFACTTASTIC tbh. ;)

99236[/snapback]

Oh that's right lets all gang up on the stoopid australian that actually made an effort to help unlike you eurovision promise everything deliver nothing or you U2 are the most influencial band in the world, ever, fact, types! ;)

99468[/snapback]

:P

Too many e numbers in your diet tbh

;)

Too many e numbers in your diet tbh

99493[/snapback]

Aye maybe but at least the old e is keeping me from the alzheimer's some are developing :P

http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...indpost&p=59855

99500[/snapback]

You've proved my point? Cut down the e numbers and you'll be able to read that thread and see that I said nothing of the sort.

Quiz question. What does Brian May call his guitar?

Non quiz question. In your opinion who released the first hip hop single?

;)

"Name the significant alternative (Indie) music movements of the 70s, 80s and 90s?" isn't much better. VAGUENONFACTTASTIC tbh. ;)

99236[/snapback]

Oh that's right lets all gang up on the stoopid australian that actually made an effort to help unlike you eurovision promise everything deliver nothing or you U2 are the most influencial band in the world, ever, fact, types! :P

99468[/snapback]

;):rolleyes:

Alreet then, here's one. Which Aussie tart tarnished her country's already battered reputation by squawking "Ooh Ahh... Just A Little Bit" for three minutes dressed in nothing but a handful of coins held together by string? B)

;)  B)

Alreet then, here's one. Which Aussie tart tarnished her country's already battered reputation by squawking "Ooh Ahh... Just A Little Bit" for three minutes dressed in nothing but a handful of coins held together by string?  ;)

99540[/snapback]

Tart? was she? I though it was a well know fact she actually wasn't a tart and that's what made it all the more ridiculous!

Anyway not my music and thus I have a bad attitude to it and can't answer the question especially when you say australia has a tarnished reputation, everyone knows were just to busy with mardi gras to polish the silver.

Happy face, grand master flash is all I can think of but I know that is incorrect.

Brian May's guitar just go to the I bought a new guitar thread for the answer and lastly get off your high horse (or is that crazy horse?) :P

99236[/snapback]

Oh that's right lets all gang up on the stoopid australian that actually made an effort to help unlike you eurovision promise everything deliver nothing or you U2 are the most influencial band in the world, ever, fact, types! :P

99468[/snapback]

;):rolleyes:

Alreet then, here's one. Which Aussie tart tarnished her country's already battered reputation by squawking "Ooh Ahh... Just A Little Bit" for three minutes dressed in nothing but a handful of coins held together by string? B)

99540[/snapback]

I thought it was a disgrace that the mighty Gina G didnt win that year. A little bit of my Eurovision love died at the injustice

Happy face, grand master flash is all I can think of but I know that is incorrect.

Brian May's guitar just go to the I bought a new guitar thread for the answer and lastly get off your high horse (or is that crazy horse?) ;)

99541[/snapback]

I thought Bob Dylan's Subterranean Homesick Blues was raptastic a long time before grandmaster flash. :P

I agree with most of what you've said in the thread, I was just making the point that as good as your questions (and answers) were, some of them could be construed as 'open'. Clamber down off your overly defensive Scott Parker style horse B)

;)