Favourite Away Day(s)?

Ugly Mackems

Feyernord  was good - hairy moment as we were staying with a mate in Utrecht so ended up on the other train platform to all the NUFC fans going back to Amsterdam standing with locals. 

Not usually for the actual games, I preferred the trips to more exotic place like Belgrade and Sofia. 

2 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

This, by a country mile.  18 years ago today! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJ2dSjSKMQ

What's yours? 

A pint of Peroni, cheers! :good:

(Impossible to say but loads stand out, obviously the first, 0-4 Goodison. Baseball 4-1 defeat then the victory a few months later. Peterborough, Grimsby, Highbury, Upton park, Ayresome park, Burnden, Roker..... basically the old grounds. Europe came at the wrong time for me, personally). :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

A pint of Peroni, cheers! :good:

(Impossible to say but loads stand out, obviously the first, 0-4 Goodison. Baseball 4-1 defeat then the victory a few months later. Peterborough, Grimsby, Highbury, Upton park, Ayresome park, Burnden, Roker..... basically the old grounds. Europe came at the wrong time for me, personally). :(

Do The Labour Club do Peroni? 

Anfield when Mira scored the penalty. 

• Like 1

One that stands out from a match pov was the 3-1 away win at Filbert Street with Robbie Elliot’s chicken dance and daring to believe we had a side that just might have a chance of winning the league. Only European trip was Barcelona and Shola putting us into the lead. Best moment was Rob Lee’s header in the fa cup semi v Chelsea. Just a pure explosion of emotion. Worst feeling was Forest away and Ian Woan’s screamer effectively ending our chances of winning the league 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

Derby & Leicester 92... (sandwiched with Pompey at home) are indelible for me. 

in Europe Inter Milan for the sheer numbers who travelled for a mere group game, but Kharkiv was a proper reality check for loads of different reasons...

• Like 3

Derby 4 Newcastle 1...... 1992.  Anyone that was there could write a book about it.   Never and I mean NEVER been more proud to be a geordie.  28 years ago and I hope Brian Coddington still gets shit in his post.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ugly Mackems said:

This, by a country mile.  18 years ago today! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muJ2dSjSKMQ

What's yours? 

good choice and thread um.

gonna go a lot older me though, with a few in particular i remember from me youth/young man era.

away at elland road mid 70s for a cup game against bolton, fourty odd thousand mixture of geordies, leeds and bolton, fucking electric atmosphere, cars abandoned on motorway hard shoulders, slip roads and absolute pandemonium round the ground. awesome experience as a teenager and we won!

away to liverpool in the fa cup with keegan as a player, fucking hammering but still by far and away the greaetest example of why supporting this club felt so unique, deafening, unrelenting noise before, during and after the game.

and, same year.... leeds road, huddersfield, promotion confirmed, 3 sides of the ground, fucking paralytic , the floodlight climber 'going up'

happy, happy days!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Derby & Leicester 92... (sandwiched with Pompey at home) are indelible for me. 

in Europe Inter Milan for the sheer numbers who travelled for a mere group game, but Kharkiv was a proper reality check for loads of different reasons...

milan.... hundreds of pissed geordies in the square at the front of the main train station despite the alcohol ban. all became clear when you noticed groups of lads being led to the underground car park and a couple of dodgy turks doing a fucking roaring trade from the back of lwb van packed to the roof with cans and bottles!   :)

• Haha 1

Had a ‘funny’ (sort of) away day as a kid watching Sunderland at home to Spurs in The Clock Stand at Roker Park. With some Newcastle-supporting family members, some Spurs-supporting ones from Hertfordshire and Ron Guthrie. This was Canon League Division One. The match was absolute dogshit. I think it ended up 1-1. I remember Alan Brazil, Garth Crooks and (possibly) Mark Falco playing for Tottenham and Gary Rowell for the Mackems. About the only thing that stands out from the match is the ball going out of play on the Clock Stand side and the home fans next to the pitch having a go at Barry Venison and him giving as good as he got. 

• Haha 3

Don't think I've ever seen us win away from home. Still, away days are much better than home games, for me. 

Tell a lie, I watched a fair few away games in London when we were in the Championship. But it's the likes of QPR, Crystal Palace, Fulham, and they were all 'local' so they don't live long in the memory as 'proper' away days. 

Edited by The Fish

I was at that Fulham game, @Alex. Rafa's last game in charge at Craven Cottage was a good one too - we put four past them that day and my little boy was buzzing on the atmosphere as the whole end was bouncing. 

I've been to a quite a few away games, mainly in London, but not many to match most of the iconic games already listed in this thread. I never managed any during the Keegan years. West Ham away in the SBR days when Jenas scored a rocket from outside the box was one of my favourites. Back in the days when we were disappointed when we only finished 5th :lol:

Beating Chelsea away in the league cup, with even Dutty custard getting on the scoresheet was quality and a good night out. 

One of my favourite away day experiences was beating Arsenal 1 nowt at the Emirates from a Carroll header, about a decade ago. The game was pretty dull - they had a man sent off IIRC. It wasn't even an authentic away end experience, but it just a class day out. I was in an executive box, filled mainly with geordies pus the odd neutral and gooner. I've been to a few boxes before but nothing like this. Food and drink was different class. Arrived at midday for a three course meal, then cheese board, half time snacks plus as much booze as you could drink. The challenge was duly accepted: champagne, beer, red and white wine, whisky - the lot. We drank the bar dry and were literally the last people left in the stadium. Had to be chucked out as the last remaining ground staff were turning off the lights and locking the place up, before stumbling, shit-faced into the Islington evening. Pretty much a perfect Saturday afternoon. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

spuds away in the cup 88 i think. I was 19 at the time , it was bloody scary and nearly a disaster pre hillsborough, but the atmosphere with 10000 geordies was a day i;ll never forget, also same year man u when we were 2-0 up  and mirandiha scored. finally peterborough in the year we won the championship had 4000 there out of a crowd of 8000.

• Like 2

That Brighton cup game in 1982. From dodging hitch hikers on the A1 at 4 in the morning. To gobbing mouthfuls of beer at Chelsea fans giving us Vs on the way. Being in Brighton stupidly early and getting drunk and singing. A lot of it was to do with the whole day at the age of 14 with My big brother and cousin. 

• Like 2

On 13/11/2020 at 13:54, McFaul said:

Derby 4 Newcastle 1...... 1992.  Anyone that was there could write a book about it.   Never and I mean NEVER been more proud to be a geordie.  28 years ago and I hope Brian Coddington still gets shit in his post.

Stevie!!! how the fuck are you doing? Glad to see you're still lurking.

1 hour ago, Dougle said:

Spurs 1993 for me. Mental day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSEjY5Z_Ok8

Great day out, that. Was surrounded by their fans walking along minding our own business as it kicked off 100 or so yards down the road. That was the EXACT time one of us thought it was a good time to shout out if anyone wanted a spare ticket for the Newcastle end as loads of cockney Danny Dyers* were bouncing on their toes running past us shouting 'FACKIN CAMMOAN!' :lol:

*As the big lump who shouted it out was King Kong's big brother they strangely left us alone and carried on bouncing away from us. :icon_lol:

• Haha 2