Rumours abound

Gemmill

On N-O and Skunkers that it's O'Neill and an announcement is due on Monday. Thoughts? On the quality of the rumour as well as the appointment, if true.

I'd be quite content and just glad it's all over without any disastrous appointments.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite foaming at the mouth in regard to the appointment of O'Neill. Would prefer Hitzfeld or Le Guen et al but we could do alot worse I suppose...

96178[/snapback]

Does how well Houllier is doing with Lyon at the moment put a doubt in the minds of the Le Guen fans?

Not quite foaming at the mouth in regard to the appointment of O'Neill. Would prefer Hitzfeld or Le Guen et al but we could do alot worse I suppose...

96178[/snapback]

Does how well Houllier is doing with Lyon at the moment put a doubt in the minds of the Le Guen fans?

96180[/snapback]

It should do, although Houllier was better than people made out. 5 trophies for Liverpool wasn't it?

Anyway, I heard from a different source that there will be an announcement after the Southampton game, but no names were mentioned.

On N-O and Skunkers that it's O'Neill and an announcement is due on Monday.  Thoughts?  On the quality of the rumour as well as the appointment, if true.

I'd be quite content and just glad it's all over without any disastrous appointments.

96177[/snapback]

Given that we all know the way Fat Fred goes about his job, I feel exactly the same.

96178[/snapback]

96180[/snapback]

You could argue that Le Guen had assembled most of the Lyon squad which Houllier inherited though.

Could be a similar scenario with O'Neill's success at Celtic, ie had he not taken charge at Celtic would he have been so successful?

As for Hitzfeld, his CV speaks for itself and of the current crop of free agents available, he's one of the best for us. The lack of experience in the english game though could possibly be a factor in not appointing him? But then I think about Mourinho and Benitez and that point seems to fly out the window...

The thing with O'Neill is that you could see it being an appointment for the medium to long term which has to be a good thing. You never really felt that with Souness, because all you meanies were on his back from the start and it was always going to end fairly quickly (and in my case, in tears). :D

96178[/snapback]

96180[/snapback]

You could argue that Le Guen had assembled most of the Lyon squad which Houllier inherited though.

Could be a similar scenario with O'Neill's success at Celtic, ie had he not taken charge at Celtic would he have been so successful?

As for Hitzfeld, his CV speaks for itself and of the current crop of free agents available, he's one of the best for us. The lack of experience in the english game though could possibly be a factor in not appointing him? But then I think about Mourinho and Benitez and that point seems to fly out the window...

96187[/snapback]

You could argue that, but you'd be wrong. The majority of his team now, he bought himself. He also lost his best player to Chelsea.

It should do, although Houllier was better than people made out. 5 trophies for Liverpool wasn't it?

96185[/snapback]

True enough, I'd say he was a pretty good manager, results wise, but his football bored me to tears.

96178[/snapback]

96180[/snapback]

96187[/snapback]

You could argue that, but you'd be wrong. The majority of his team now, he bought himself. He also lost his best player to Chelsea.

96195[/snapback]

Ah ok, I don't follow french football and assumed since he hasn't been in the job for too long he would still have most of Le Guen's players. :D

96178[/snapback]

96180[/snapback]

Doesn't the fact that Jacques Santini had created the Lyon phenomenon and Le Guen took over an already championship winning team undermine his credentials ?

Guest CrimsonFault
Would be worried about O'Neills liking for 3 at the back. Can find faults with everyone as there's never going to be a perfect manager.

96271[/snapback]

Gary Megson's available tbh.

Would be worried about O'Neills liking for 3 at the back. Can find faults with everyone as there's never going to be a perfect manager.

96271[/snapback]

96272[/snapback]

I stand corrected. sign him up.

96178[/snapback]

96180[/snapback]

Doesn't the fact that Jacques Santini had created the Lyon phenomenon and Le Guen took over an already championship winning team undermine his credentials ?

96265[/snapback]

So are you for or against Le Guen? Because when I mentioned I was against him the other day, I got shot down in flames :D

Guest CrimsonFault

96271[/snapback]

96272[/snapback]

I stand corrected. sign him up.

96273[/snapback]

:D

96178[/snapback]

96180[/snapback]

96265[/snapback]

So are you for or against Le Guen? Because when I mentioned I was against him the other day, I got shot down in flames :D

96277[/snapback]

I'd be for Le Guen, he is clearly a good manager, however people seem forget that he didn't create Lyon's success, and I don't agree with those that seem to think that he is the second coming.

so if Martin O'Neill does become our next manager, doesnt the fact that the 'geordie faithful unanimously want Hitzfield' make us all look ridiculous again? 

HTT really is putting all his egos in one basket isnt he! :D

96291[/snapback]

Hissy fit and N-O to be deleted tbh! :nufc:

I would be delighted if it was O'Neill and just hope the ridiculous Hitzfeld campaign doesn't put him off.

Not many managers are held in such high esteem as O'Neill after they have left a club and not only has he won domestic trophies but if it hadn't been for the diving of Jose's Porto players Celtic would have won the UEFA Cup not to mention his Champions League experience. Also, it would really annoy the media if O'Neill chose Newcastle over England.

I'd be for Le Guen, he is clearly a good manager, however people seem forget that he didn't create Lyon's success, and I don't agree with those that seem to think that he is the second coming.

96282[/snapback]

I agree with that, I just think Le Guen is another band-wagon that a lot of people have jumped on without really knowing that much about the bloke.