Sven and Guus to swap roles?

Scottish Mag

Sven Goran Eriksson and Guus Hiddink could be set to swap positions according to reports emanating from Australia.

Hiddink is being strongly linked with leaving his post with Australia after this summer's World Cup finals with England and Russia both thought to be keen on naming the Dutchman as their new national team boss.

England's Football Association are actively drawing up a short list of possible new managers to replace Eriksson.

Eriksson is stepping down from his role with England after this summer's finals and Hiddink is believed to be one of the top targets to succeed the Swede.

Should Hiddink, as expected, quit Australia in the summer Football Federation Australia have hinted that they will look to appoint another foreign coach and Eriksson is believed to be among their list of candidates.

FFA chairman Frank Lowry believes if Hiddink does leave they must get a replacement of a similar calibre to the PSV Eindhoven boss.

"He's [Hiddink] done a wonderful job for us, he would be an ideal person for us, but we're not sure what his plans are," Lowy told the Sydney Morning Herald.

"We have been discussing the opportunity for him to stay, but, of course, he has other possibilities, and he's got to weigh it up.

"I can't tell you what the answer will be, but I can tell you we will be having a top-line coach, a world-class coach, to coach Australia in case Hiddink doesn't stay.

"The decision should be who is a good coach, and who is not such a good coach, rather than what nationality they are, particularly when you're talking about the national team.

"I don't think there is a coach currently serving in Australia who could fill the top job. Maybe I could be wrong¦ We're going to make a proper search.

"But off the top of my head, to tell you I have one coach that will be available and have enough experience, I can't think of one right now."

It remains to be seen if Eriksson would be tempted by the Australian job should they come calling for him as the Swede is believed to be looking for a return to club management.