Liverpool Fans

catmag

I remember someone once having a fit at a match when I was sat in the East Stand. Cos the bloke went into spasms, the paramedics couldn't shift him and the had to work on him in the footwells - fucking grim!!

Thankfully he was OK, really felt for his kid though who was only about 8 or 9. He hadn't got a fucking clue what had happened to him - puts a lot of things into perspective

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here!

Liverpool's fans added insult to injury by singing a sickening song mocking the stricken midfielder as he lay on the Anfield turf. Kop boss Rafa Benitez refused to condemn the fans who taunted Smith. Benitez said: "We're very sorry for Alan Smith. We wish him good luck in his recovery.

"As a manager you never want to see any player injured and it has made it hard for us to enjoy this victory.

"I don't know about any chants by the crowd. I don't understand everything they sing, so all I can really talk about is the game."

Smith crumpled in agony after he blocked John Arne Riise's shot and landed awkwardly.

That's from the Sunday Mirror, but it's in the Mail aswell.

97165[/snapback]

I don't think articles like that help, why didn't they mention:

Yeah I thought that was a bit silly, but to be fair to the scousers...they did applaud him as he went off.

97170[/snapback]

Well, at least they didn't add "they nicked his wallet and pissed on him" this time...

A story about the majority of respectful Liverpoolfans wouldn't make as a good headline as one about the misbehaving minority. That's tabloids for you.

97188[/snapback]

We applauded the Southampton keeper off yesterday. I wouldn't expect any newspaper to pat me on the back for it, because it's not a story - I kind of take stuff like that for granted. If I'd heard songs sung about his injuries I would have unfortunately expected to see that in the papers.

97195[/snapback]

Exactly, normal respectful behaviour isn't a story. But the problem I have with all these stories (like the one Catmag posted) about misbehaving fans is the generalisation. It's not the Liverpool fans, it were some Liverpoolfans (or better tossers) who "added insult to injury". As well as it are not the England fans who are hooligans etc.

Certainly were some distressing happenings yesterday.

Seeing Alan Smith's injury was bad enough but it was even worse before kick-off when the paramedics were desperately working on the chap in the East Stand paddock. It didn't look good at all for him and apparently the same happened outside Shearer's bar.

97197[/snapback]

Eh? Did someone collapse at the ground? I didn't hear about this.

97201[/snapback]

A chap in his mid fifties I would guess, it was about 40 minutes before kick-off. Paramedics came running from all areas and they got him on a stretcher and had to force their way past fans stood by the hoardings watching the lads warm up. Mate who sits behind me said it looked like he'd gone when he came into the ground and saw the medics working on him.

I've heard this type of thing from our own fans often enough, rarely do I go to a game and someone isn't shouting "snap him" or the like. I wonder if this story would have been so quickly posted on here in this way if it was our fans that were accused of it?

Certainly were some distressing happenings yesterday.

Seeing Alan Smith's injury was bad enough but it was even worse before kick-off when the paramedics were desperately working on the chap in the East Stand paddock. It didn't look good at all for him and apparently the same happened outside Shearer's bar.

97197[/snapback]

Eh? Did someone collapse at the ground? I didn't hear about this.

97201[/snapback]

A chap in his mid fifties I would guess, it was about 40 minutes before kick-off. Paramedics came running from all areas and they got him on a stretcher and had to force their way past fans stood by the hoardings watching the lads warm up. Mate who sits behind me said it looked like he'd gone when he came into the ground and saw the medics working on him.

97210[/snapback]

When I came in a few mins before kick off there was a guy on a stretcher by an ambulance just outside the turnstiles, being worked on by the paramedics. Didn't look good at all. Poor guy :D

I've heard this type of thing from our own fans often enough, rarely do I go to a game and someone isn't shouting "snap him" or the like. I wonder if this story would have been so quickly posted on here in this way if it was our fans that were accused of it?

97354[/snapback]

By me? Then yes it would. Accompanied by the fact I was disgusted and ashamed. Several times when I've been to Old Trafford I've seen a dickhead contingent of our fans doing the Munich aeroplane thing and thinking they're hilarious, and I was disgusted by that too.

I'll just assume it's catmag's time of the month, in her absence. :angry:

97193[/snapback]

Not quite, but I'll be sure to come and find you when it is! :D:rolleyes:

97384[/snapback]

Why do I get the impression the English channel wouldn't save me here? I must thank Renton for taking some of the heat off me in the post above. :D

97354[/snapback]

By me? Then yes it would. Accompanied by the fact I was disgusted and ashamed. Several times when I've been to Old Trafford I've seen a dickhead contingent of our fans doing the Munich aeroplane thing and thinking they're hilarious, and I was disgusted by that too.

97381[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but didn't you stand up for our rights to make light of terrorist attacks a few months ago? It was certainly debated after the London bombings.

97354[/snapback]

97381[/snapback]

I could be wrong, but didn't you stand up for our rights to make light of terrorist attacks a few months ago? It was certainly debated after the London bombings.

97393[/snapback]

I assume you're referring to the debate between myself and AF regarding the 'jokes' thread on general chat where we were discussing the appropriateness of posting jokes following various tragedies. I believe my position on that (with 99% of fellow posters agreeing with me was that it's possible to smile at an inappropriate joke on a message board without actually condoning the actions of those carrying out the atrocities.

Quite what it has to do with this thread, I'm not sure as I have never and would never partake in the kinds of behaviour that I have discussed in this thread.

I agree with you, it's ok to find 'inappropriate' jokes funny, therefore it's presumably ok to find telling those jokes acceptable. You don't see a link between that and the lads taking the piss out of the Munich crash? I don't know exactly what it was they were doing, but yes, it sounds along similar lines to me.

97354[/snapback]

97381[/snapback]

I could understand you posting this if it was from personal experience, but it isn't, it's from the gutter press who imo tend to have an agenda against football fans, especially Northern ones. As Isegrim has said, it's the generalisation that I don't like, and I'm not convinced it even happened in this case (certainly couldn't hear it on the telly).

We've all been there and seen it though. An opposition player goes down, and quite frankly no one watching the match (from the stands) can really know how serious it is, but that doesn't stop a lot of people from shouting things like "get up you lazy bastard" (if we're winning, or "fucking cheat" if we're losing). It's part and parcel of going to a football match; I don't think anyone should take it too seriously or personally, and I certainly don't want the game to get any more sanitized than it already is.

I could understand you posting this if it was from personal experience, but it isn't, it's from the gutter press who imo tend to have an agenda against football fans, especially Northern ones. As Isegrim has said, it's the generalisation that I don't like, and I'm not convinced it even happened in this case (certainly couldn't hear it on the telly). 

97504[/snapback]

Fucking hell :D Let that be a warning to everyone: please don't post anything from the papers unless you actually witnessed the incident first hand and can therefore confirm that it happened.

97504[/snapback]

Fucking hell :rolleyes: Let that be a warning to everyone: please don't post anything from the papers unless you actually witnessed the incident first hand and can therefore confirm that it happened.

97510[/snapback]

That won't be enough, you'll also have to bring forward seven reliable witnesses... :D

And I don't think anyone here is having a go at you Catmag for posting the article, but some of us think it is rubbish.

97504[/snapback]

Fucking hell :D Let that be a warning to everyone: please don't post anything from the papers unless you actually witnessed the incident first hand and can therefore confirm that it happened.

97510[/snapback]

Whatever. I'm just not sure what the point of your original post was, that's all. Was it that Liverpool fans are specifically low-life, or that Alan Smith has suffered a nasty leg injury? Or was it taking the piss out of injured players, acceptable or not?

97504[/snapback]

97510[/snapback]

Whatever. I'm just not sure what the point of your original post was, that's all. Was it that Liverpool fans are specifically low-life, or that Alan Smith has suffered a nasty leg injury? Or was it taking the piss out of injured players, acceptable or not?

97515[/snapback]

It was to highlight the fact there was a contingent of dickhead fans at the Liverpool vs Man Utd game yesterday. Is that okay with you?

97504[/snapback]

97510[/snapback]

97515[/snapback]

It was to highlight the fact there was a contingent of dickhead fans at the Liverpool vs Man Utd game yesterday. Is that okay with you?

97516[/snapback]

Yes thanks. :rolleyes:

Edit: PS (see sig)

Edited by Renton

Quote from Alan Smith today describing his injury:

"When I looked, the leg was lying one way and my ankle was pointing towards Hong Kong so I knew I was in serious trouble"

97762[/snapback]

I've had that feeling before. Incidentally, when Ferguson said it was the worst injury he had ever seen, was he just talking about in his team, or has he forgotten about David Busst?

Quote from Alan Smith today describing his injury:

"When I looked, the leg was lying one way and my ankle was pointing towards Hong Kong so I knew I was in serious trouble"

97762[/snapback]

I've had that feeling before. Incidentally, when Ferguson said it was the worst injury he had ever seen, was he just talking about in his team, or has he forgotten about David Busst?

97766[/snapback]

I've never broken a bone cos I'm pretty much invincible. Maybe Ferguson didn't have to have too much to do with Busst's with him not being on his team. It looked awful in the pics in the paper yesterday though. :D

I saw an ambulance outside the East Stand as I was coming in. Very sad. I remember coming into the ground a while ago and there was a kid at the bottom of the stairs caked in blood with two paramedics seeing to him. Must have falling down the stairs. Ouch!