Hitzfeld NOT new NUFC manager - Shepherd

smoggeordie

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle United chairman Freddy Shepherd insists there are no plans to ask Ottmar Hitzfeld to be the club's new manager.

Shepherd is undertaking the quest to find Graeme Souness' successor on Tyneside, with Glenn Roeder currently in caretaker charge.

The likes of Martin O'Neill, Sam Allardyce and Paul Jewell have been linked with the role, while Hitzfeld's name was thrown into the fray earlier in the week.

Reports had claimed that the former Bayern Munich coach was heading to the North East for a meeting with Shepherd.

But Shepherd has reacted frostily to the speculation and believes the rumours are being engineered as part of a betting coup.

The Magpies supremo remains committed to taking his time before appointing Souness' replacement and is adamant Hitzfeld is not under consideration.

"There have been stories sweeping Tyneside about who I'm supposed to be meeting and where," said Shepherd.

"It is highly organised and designed to make people a lot of money.

"There was even a 'leaked' full colour brochure doing the rounds in Newcastle which laid out Ottmar Hitzfeld's CV and his record as a manager.

"It's amazing the lengths people will go to to start a rumour which means they can bet for or against a certain person getting the job.

"But I can state here and now that there has been no approach to Hitzfeld and there are no plans to approach him.

"I've said all along we will take our time over this appointment. We've rushed into things before and we've made mistakes, I admit that.

"That's not the case this time. Glenn Roeder is an excellent caretaker, a really safe pair of hands, so we can afford to make sure we appoint the right man without the necessity of being hurried into it."

There are two things I really worry about. If he thinks that the rumour is instigated by a betting group and not a fan's website it is demostrating how much the board is out of touch with what is happening out of SJP.

Secondly and most important: If Shepherd isn't even thinking about considering Hitzfeld then he deserves shot, strangled, tortured, quartered and fed to sharks...

Edited by Isegrim

It's amusing in a way. Some poor fucker spent ages writing that thing up and Shepherd takes one look at it and comes to this preposterous conclusion that someone's setting him up as part of a betting ring, when all they were trying to do is get him to consider this bloke as manager.

It doesn't say he won't go for him - just that he hasn't yet and as has been said the idiot thinks its a betting coup rather than general "hope" for a decent manager.

97234[/snapback]

"But I can state here and now that there has been no approach to Hitzfeld and there are no plans to approach him.

Sorry, but I find that statement worrying tbh

"There was even a 'leaked' full colour brochure doing the rounds in Newcastle which laid out Ottmar Hitzfeld's CV and his record as a manager.

"It's amazing the lengths people will go to to start a rumour which means they can bet for or against a certain person getting the job."

It's amazing how out of touch our Chairman is! What a complete twat he truely is. Maybe we should put together "brochures" on Bruce and O'Leary to ensure that Shepherd stays clear of them!

Edited by Geordiesned

It doesn't say he won't go for him - just that he hasn't yet and as has been said the idiot thinks its a betting coup rather than general "hope" for a decent manager.

97234[/snapback]

97236[/snapback]

Aye, the only possible explanation is that he meant there are no plans to approach him YET, which he obviously wouldn't say because it would get people jumping to conclusions, but it does sound to me like there will be no approach to Hitzfeld.

On a serious note though, pretty disappointing that he would dismiss out of hand the possibility of even approaching the bloke.

97230[/snapback]

Be interesting to see how LM excuses Shepherd for this one...

97234[/snapback]

97236[/snapback]

Aye, the only possible explanation is that he meant there are no plans to approach him YET, which he obviously wouldn't say because it would get people jumping to conclusions, but it does sound to me like there will be no approach to Hitzfeld.

97239[/snapback]

Yes, I think it means he rules Hitzfeld out categorically. Otherwise he could easily have left out the second part of the sentence.

On a serious note though, pretty disappointing that he would dismiss out of hand the possibility of even approaching the bloke.

97230[/snapback]

Be interesting to see how LM excuses Shepherd for this one...

97241[/snapback]

A multitude of missed opportunitites does not make him a bad chairman.

The bloke is obviously out of touch with what the fans want and more disturbingly seems intent on refusing to even consider a man who's reputation goes before him....

The only excusable explanation I can think of is that Shepherd already has his new manager signed and sealed and is about to announce him (something which has been rumoured)

That being said, Shepherd can be totally excused because he backs his managers financially! :D

What's bizarre about his quotes is him trying to make out the brochure, as he calls it, was meant to have been "leaked" by the club. As far as I'm aware that was never the case and when it was distributed it was made perfectly clear where it came from and who had put it together.

Shows that Shepherd obviously doesn't read the press or watch the local news as it's been displayed all over there....

Which is even more concerning! :D

Shows that Shepherd obviously doesn't read the press or watch the local news as it's been displayed all over there....

Which is even more concerning! :D

97252[/snapback]

I know Gemmill joked about it earlier but I wonder if N-O going down is connected? Shepherd managed to get the old board shut down after all for publishing a fixture list by snitching to the hosters (sorry I'm not up to speed with the correct technical jargon!). It shows how petty he is.

The leaked dossier and betting syndicate stuff has simply been added to what Shepherd is alleged to have already said during the week.

Considering this story has come from "The People" and the quote about not approaching or intending to approach are identical to the ones that McCarthy said during the week on sky i would think this is just a rehashed story.

The bloke is obviously out of touch with what the fans want and more disturbingly seems intent on refusing to even consider a man who's reputation goes before him....

The only excusable explanation I can think of is that Shepherd already has his new manager signed and sealed and is about to announce him (something which has been rumoured)

That being said, Shepherd can be totally excused because he backs his managers financially! :D

97247[/snapback]

Would you or would you not say, that based on a track record [which is what we are ALL basing Hitzfelds criteria on] of 4 championships, 3 FA Cups and 3 managers of the year wasn't also a damn top drawer qualification for the Newcastle job ? Of course I don't expect the chairman to get any credit from some of you for attracting someone so highly qualified .....