Owen to get the number 9 shirt

Scottish Mag

Michael Owen will be asked to inherit the fabled Newcastle No 9 shirt when Alan Shearer hangs up his boots this summer.

United's top brass see Owen as the perfect successor to English football's most iconic jersey, And the England striker, despite believing 10 is his lucky number, is unlikely to refuse.

It will see Owen follow in the footsteps of a succession of legendary goalscorers - and offer the chance to cement his relationship with the fans.

Injury, Sven-Goran Eriksson's indiscreet claim that Owen is unhappy on Tyneside, and hotly-denied talk that he has a get-out clause in his Newcastle contract, have clouded the striker's career at St James's Park.

But success in the shirt of United legends would guarantee Owen greater public adoration than he has ever enjoyed elsewhere.

Albert Shepherd, Hughie Gallacher, Albert Stubbins, Jackie Milburn, Len White, Malcolm Macdonald, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand and Shearer himself have been among the Magpies' magnificent No 9s.

And the Toon Army will hope that the challenge of matching their exploits will keep Owen at Newcastle in the long-term.

However, Owen is likely to lose the captain's armband to Scott Parker next season despite their being plenty of dressing-room support for him to succeed Shearer as United skipper.

Others - and Newcastle's hierarchy - regard midfielder Parker as the right man in the right position.

I see they've seen sense about the captaincy...

Just because Sven hands the captaincy to Owen in Beckham's absence, doesn't mean the same should apply at club level.

Owen - awesome striker, but not a skipper to me. Parker is the natural successor and despite the fishing UM is doing, I think Scott was awesome at times yesterday!

I see they've seen sense about the captaincy...

Just because Sven hands the captaincy to Owen in Beckham's absence, doesn't mean the same should apply at club level.

Owen - awesome striker, but not a skipper to me. Parker is the natural successor and despite the fishing UM is doing, I think Scott was awesome at times yesterday!

97250[/snapback]

True, but I thought he was unusually quiet yesterday. I'd like to see him captain for a few games before I make up my mind.

why give him the number 9 shirt when he's always worn number 10?

97369[/snapback]

Because it cleverly shifts the pressure off Shepherd in finding a top-class replacement now. By giving Owen the number 9, he's basically conning us into thinking, "right, there's your great number 9, oh, and say hello to Peter Crouch who arrives on loan".

97369[/snapback]

Because it cleverly shifts the pressure off Shepherd in finding a top-class replacement now. By giving Owen the number 9, he's basically conning us into thinking, "right, there's your great number 9, oh, and say hello to Peter Crouch who arrives on loan".

97374[/snapback]

Why would that be a bad thing?

97369[/snapback]

97374[/snapback]

Why would that be a bad thing?

97380[/snapback]

I'd certainly be happy with a Crouch-Owen partnership. That's what worries me about the Owen to Liverpool rumours; I think they'd be a really good combination.

Michael Owen will be asked to inherit the fabled Newcastle No 9 shirt when Alan Shearer hangs up his boots this summer.

United's top brass see Owen as the perfect successor to English football's most iconic jersey, And the England striker, despite believing 10 is his lucky number, is unlikely to refuse.

It will see Owen follow in the footsteps of a succession of legendary goalscorers - and offer the chance to cement his relationship with the fans.

Injury, Sven-Goran Eriksson's indiscreet claim that Owen is unhappy on Tyneside, and hotly-denied talk that he has a get-out clause in his Newcastle contract, have clouded the striker's career at St James's Park.

But success in the shirt of United legends would guarantee Owen greater public adoration than he has ever enjoyed elsewhere.

Albert Shepherd, Hughie Gallacher, Albert Stubbins, Jackie Milburn, Len White, Malcolm Macdonald, Andy Cole, Les Ferdinand and Shearer himself have been among the Magpies' magnificent No 9s.

And the Toon Army will hope that the challenge of matching their exploits will keep Owen at Newcastle in the long-term.

However, Owen is likely to lose the captain's armband to Scott Parker next season despite their being plenty of dressing-room support for him to succeed Shearer as United skipper.

Others - and Newcastle's hierarchy - regard midfielder Parker as the right man in the right position.

97244[/snapback]

Is that a proper journalistic report ? :D

Edited by Walliver

Guest CrimsonFault

97244[/snapback]

Is that a proper journalistic report ? :D

97414[/snapback]

Is this Graeme? :rolleyes:

[ :angry: I THOUGHT I WAS IN LINE FOR IT :D

:D on a serious note...let the number RIP till one proves its worth :rolleyes:

---wot if owen leaves one fine day leaving us in between?????

for me that would be an insult to my NO9

Edited by aaalan

Irrelevant, he won't be here next season.

97422[/snapback]

Aye thats what I was thinking. If someone offers us 17million for him I won't be too gutted to see him go.

97431[/snapback]

Depends who we replaced him with obviously, but I tend to agree.