Ayoze Perez opinions

mitchscorpio

Hi guys, I’m a Leicester City fan and aspiring football writer currently working on a piece focusing on Ayoze Perez - looking back on his 18 months with the Foxes and also thinking about what the future could hold for him.

I’m really keen to include some thoughts and opinions from Newcastle fans in the article, specifically:

• Individual & overall opinions on his Newcastle career, performances & impact.

• His best position / role within the Newcastle team of the time.

• Individual & overall reactions to LCFC’s interest and eventual transfer in July 2019, including the fee.

Would welcome any and all contributions, and any featured will be credited as required, whether under your forum username or real name, whichever you’d prefer.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

we were disappointed to sell him, as it just confirmed what we already knew - we are an unambitious selling club. 

ayoze has a nice touch and can finish, but he lacks the strength and pace you need to be a top player. his best position is probably just behind a centre forward rather than out wide, where his lack of pace is exposed. i think on balance, the fee you paid for him was probably over the odds by £10m or so, even in today's hyper-inflated market. he's a half-decent forward, but in an ideal world the sort you'd be bringing off the bench. 

51 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Personally thought the offer was well above his worth. He was never a consistent goal scorer, although he's better than all of our current strikers bar Wilson 

He'd do a good job pairing with Wilson but might struggle if Rafa wasn't on the case. 

He definitely lacked consistency, he could go on a run of eight games where he was good and scored some important goals then could easily go 16 games where he was shite.

One thing that stood out for me with him is his finishing was always better when he had no time to think about it, when working on instinct. Give him a one on one 30 yards from goal and he'd inevitably shit his pants by the time he'd reached the box.

Under rated, grafter, can score a goal. We only paid £1.5 million from a second division teams youth set up.

Good deal all round selling him to a better team with ambition and we robbed you blind money wise.

• Like 1

With the right manager coaching him he's an effective PL player when used as a pressing forward. Wasted out wide. £30m was over the odds for him, but if you've the money to spend I don't think you'll regret it. Think he'd work better with a different kind of striker ahead of him, instead of Vardy. But he's not good enough to change your setup when it works so well. 

Got some stick from a section of the fans because he wasn't as consistently prolific as his ability suggests he should be, but a lot of the pressing work he did was ignored by them.

Was never a fan.  He definitely has ability but more often than not he just gave away possession because he's a right fanny.  Unlike Gloomy I always thought he was better off playing wider as if afforded him more space and less time playing with his back to goal. 

The spell he had after Christmas in his last season with us always seemed like a purple patch rather than any indication that he was ready to step up to a higher level, which sadly Leicester clearly are to us these days.  It seems like his performances at Leicester have backed that up.  Although I can't say I've seen much of them.

I'd happily have him back instead of Joelinton, Gayle or Carroll though.

Edit:  The pressing that he did do ususally was a result of him losing the ball in the first place.

Edited by David Kelly

I think he’s a canny player but limited. Decent technique, good finisher but lacks the pace and/or physicality to be an out and out goal scorer. No coincidence that he rarely looked as good or was as consistent as that spell when he played in a 3 with Rondon and Almiron in the second half of his last season here (iirc) 

• Like 1

He cost us 1.5 million. Am not sure what folk were expecting from him for that sort of money. Decent player as others have said but limited as well. Not sure if signing back up players for 30 million is right for a club of Leicester’s stature though. Maybe that’s a bit unfair, theyre the best PL operators in the transfer market by fuckin miles in recent times, but you’ve get champions league if that’s what you’re laying out for a player not producing the goods week in week out. 

Edited by PaddockLad

Aye for £1.5m he did a great job for us and ended up at a much higher standard than what I would have thought he'd reach.  But if we'd signed him for £30m I don't think anyone would say he was value for money unless as a direct comparisson with Joelinton.

• Like 2