Salary Caps for Teams

Mayor Steve

I wanted to get some views on a salary cap idea. As you may or may not know in all the major sports in the States teams have to work under a salary cap. If they go over a certain limit in the collective salaries of all the first team players, the team is penalized in the form of paying the league a luxury tax as is the situation in major league baseball. For many years running my team the Yankees have had to pay this luxury tax. Other sports like the NFL I'm not sure exactly what the penalty is for going over the salary cap but it may be as drastic as not being able to field a team. My point in bringing this up is do you think something like this should be implemented in the EPL? The goal with this system is to have parity in the league so that teams like our next round FA Cup opponent can't get all the best players by simply paying them huge amounts in salary.

Another question, what would you feel about simply eliminating the ability of a team to buy another player. Again, as you may or may not know, in all the major sports in the States this is not permitted. The Boston Celtics for example could simply ask the Cleveland Cavaliers can we buy LeBron James for $50 million? Other players would have to be involved in a trade bewteen the teams it can't simply be cash only for a player. The only time you could get a player without trading other players from your team is if a player's contract has expired and they are a free agent. But you would then have to watch how much "cap room" you have before signing someone to a huge contract because you may not be able to afford other players and field a decent team. Let me know your thoughts on these items and whether or not the EPL would improve if these changes were implemented.

Completely unpractical, you would have to change it world-wide for starters. Easily achieved in USA due to the game only being domestic and institutionalised for tens of years.

Plus the simple reason that you would probably have young kids being forced over to South America just so Chelsea can buy the latest Brazilian sensation.

As Sima says, it would be a logistical nightmare to enforce world-wide, with the various layers of bureaucracy in football.

Plus the fact the european employment law would probably over-ride it.

I think it's a good idea and would like to see it implemented to maintain a level playing field, but I won't be holding my breath.

I don't see how the EPL couldn't have a salary cap for each club. What the EPL does should have no bearing on the leagues in other countries and I don't see how it would violate any labor laws, of course my knowledege of European labor law is next to zero. It could be implemented just like major league baseball if your first team salaries are over a certain limit, you pay a luxury tax that is distributed to all the other teams that are at or under the cap. Simple enough really. I don't know food for thought.

I don't see how the EPL couldn't have a salary cap for each club. What the EPL does should have no bearing on the leagues in other countries and I don't see how it would violate any labor laws, of course my knowledege of European labor law is next to zero. It could be implemented just like major league baseball if your first team salaries are over a certain limit, you pay a luxury tax that is distributed to all the other teams that are at or under the cap. Simple enough really. I don't know food for thought.

98286[/snapback]

Ah the American way > the right way.

Hey look there's that funny country Iraq, they don't want to follow our ways, let's bomb the fuck out of them.

The premier league better watch themselves B)

98286[/snapback]

Hey look there's that funny country Iraq, they don't want to follow our ways, let's bomb the fuck out of them.

98294[/snapback]

;) ??

Steve, you couldn't just apply it to the Premiership because we'd get no decent foreign players coming here, and all the decent English players would go abroad to earn big money. We'd end up with shit teams and we wouldn't be able to compete in Europe. Not gonna happen.

I think it WOULD pass Yuro Labour scrutiny as long as the cap is applied to the CLUB - it would be the same as setting Corporation Tax levels as far they are concerned - it applies to an entity not to an individual

The problem is how to enforce it of course..................

Better to go for a better distribution on TV money

I think it WOULD pass Yuro Labour scrutiny as long as the cap is applied to the CLUB - it would be the same as setting Corporation Tax levels as far they are concerned - it applies to an entity not to an individual

98401[/snapback]

Isn't the TV money distributed evenly in this country in the top flight already?

98401[/snapback]

Isn't the TV money distributed evenly in this country in the top flight already?

98410[/snapback]

No I think its on a sliding scale depending on position

It should also be split across ALL the divisions - I'm sure Mr G Brown of Downing Street could come up with a suitable tax if it wasn't..........................

98401[/snapback]

98410[/snapback]

No I think its on a sliding scale depending on position

It should also be split across ALL the divisions - I'm sure Mr G Brown of Downing Street could come up with a suitable tax if it wasn't..........................

98415[/snapback]

I thought everyone got the same flat rate then you got an extra bit when you actually appeared on the telly. Anyway, why should it be split evenly across the divisions? Surely it's about supply and demand with more people wanting to watch the top teams/players. Not to mention the fact there should be financial rewards for being in the top flight. Are you seriously suggesting Hartlepool should get the same cash as Man Utd? Also, wouldn't it then lead to the situation they have in Italy where the top clubs negotiate separately with the TV companies, meaning there's even less money for the smaller clubs, even in the top flight?

Certainly in the NHL it does make the season more interesting, no-one really dominates and results aren't forgone conclusions. Although my team the Penguins are always shit. However, it would be unworkable to put into football. You'd have to set up a draft which would be a nightmare to implicate. Plus, how would that work? The best player in the league goes to the team that finishes 3rd bottom of League 2? Too many professional teams in the league, in the NHL, NFL, NBA etc there aren't that many teams and no relegation or promotion.

Different animal.

98286[/snapback]

98294[/snapback]

There is no need to get nasty. I didn't say it was the right way, just one way.

98286[/snapback]

98294[/snapback]

98431[/snapback]

Take no notice, he's Australian ;)

Certainly in the NHL it does make the season more interesting, no-one really dominates and results aren't forgone conclusions. Although my team the Penguins are always shit. However, it would be unworkable to put into football. You'd have to set up a draft which would be a nightmare to implicate. Plus, how would that work? The best player in the league goes to the team that finishes 3rd bottom of League 2? Too many professional teams in the league, in the NHL, NFL, NBA etc there aren't that many teams and no relegation or promotion.

Different animal.

98428[/snapback]

Hang in there with the Penguins. They will turn it around next season. They are my favorite team as well. As far as relegation and promotion, I always felt that it would make sports leagues in the States more interesting if it was implemented. If a salary cap wouldn't work, how would you fell about setting a limit on how much a club could spend on transfer fees? This would be net amounts so if the limit was say 10 million for example and you bought a player for 9 million but sold someone on your squad for 3 million you would still have 4 million in cap room.

"I thought everyone got the same flat rate then you got an extra bit when you actually appeared on the telly."

from the PL site:-

50% of total money goes on an equal share basis to the 20 FA Premier League clubs, while relegated clubs also receive some of this money in the form of a parachute payment. 25% of the money is paid as facility fees, which are determined by the number of appearances on television. 25% is paid in merit payments, determined by the position that a club finished in the league.

so we're both right!!!

"I thought everyone got the same flat rate then you got an extra bit when you actually appeared on the telly."

50% of total money goes on an equal share basis to the 20 FA Premier League clubs, while relegated clubs also receive some of this money in the form of a parachute payment. 25% of the money is paid as facility fees, which are determined by the number of appearances on television. 25% is paid in merit payments, determined by the position that a club finished in the league.

so we're both right!!!

98599[/snapback]

Depends if the above is just talking about telly money. If it is we're both right. If it's talking about TV money and prize money, I was right and you were wrong ;)

B)

so we're both right!!!

98599[/snapback]

Depends if the above is just talking about telly money. If it is we're both right. If it's talking about TV money and prize money, I was right and you were wrong ;)

B)

98608[/snapback]

No man - its the TOTAL money they're talking about - the PL doesn't have any other source of income other than the Barclays sponsorship and that's only a few million

98286[/snapback]

98294[/snapback]

98431[/snapback]

Take no notice, he's Australian ;)

98435[/snapback]

Not that you would know it at the moment, this place seems more and more like the 52nd state ot the good old US of A everyday.

Edited by sammynb

how come the penguins come to be everyones favourites ???

98971[/snapback]

Maybe because of Mario Lemeiux. I don't know. I have always supported the professional teams from Pittsburgh, PA. Except for baseball where the Yankees come first ahead of the Pirates.