Refund on your tax disc?

Smooth Operator

Is this possible? I'm trading my Lexus in for an Audi but having just renewed my tax disc on 31st January can I take it to the Post Office and get a refund for the months I haven't used? The salesman reckons so.

If so what would the crack be? Would they give me a new tax disc with the date of expiry being the 28th February?

Is this possible? I'm trading my Lexus in for an Audi but having just renewed my tax disc on 31st January can I take it to the Post Office and get a refund for the months I haven't used? The salesman reckons so.

If so what would the crack be? Would they give me a new tax disc with the date of expiry being the 28th February?

98316[/snapback]

Ages since I did it but I think you have to buy a new one for the new car and send your old one off to the DVLA who in a few months time will pull their thumb out of their arse and send you a cheque...

Civil service for ya - total wankers! B)

I'm pretty sure you can get the refund there and then at the Post Office.

98323[/snapback]

You might be able to these days - it has been a few years since I did it and I had to post it off (think the DVLA had to do source checking to make sure I hadn't just forged a disc to gain a refund before they sent me anything through).

I do remember that by the time I got the money, I'd forgotten I'd even claimed it! B)

Guest Toplass-101

Get a form from the post office and send your old disc off the Punto to DVLA, you will receive the refund. When you get it though, you can that use the money to buy a new disc to put on your new Mini Metro.

3. How do I apply for a refund on my tax disc?

You should return your tax disc with a completed form V14 available from a Post Office or DVLA Local Office. If your tax disc has been lost/ stolen you can complete form V33 which is available from your nearest DVLA Local Office. The application should be sent to Refunds Section DVLA Swansea, SA99 1AL. Refund applications must be in the post by the last day of the month to receive a refund for that particular month - only full months remaining will be refunded. Your refund should be issued in 3 weeks, but in certain circumstances you will need to allow up to 6 weeks.

Got this off the DVLA website, the sales bloke said I could do it at the Post Office like.

Get a form from the post office and send your old disc off the Punto to DVLA, you will receive the refund.  When you get it though, you can that use the money to buy a new disc to put on your new Mini Metro.

98328[/snapback]

If I was living in a world of shite cars then that's what I'd do! B)

But I'm not so I thank the Lord Jesus.

Got this off the DVLA website, the sales bloke said I could do it at the Post Office like.

98330[/snapback]

A car salesman lieing? I'm shocked and appalled tbh.

98332[/snapback]

Well thats undecided yet, Gemmill seems to think this to be the case too tbh.

Although this sales geezer drooped a bollock when he was trying to sell me the car. He said,"Well I've had a look at the Lexus and I'll give you 5 grand for it, it's got a few scrathces on the drivers door like so that's all I can do tbh". Then when I was scrutinizing the Audi I said, "There's a few scrathes here and there", pointing them out to the bloke. He replied, "Yeah but they'll just polish out when we clean it for you". My retort, "Well when you clean the Lexus after we've traded you can do the same then eh". He then whimpered, "Er, well yes you're right, we can do that, sure". B)

I bought my first car second hand from a dealer and when it came to doing the paperwork it was like the scene from Life of Brian. Being young and having never bought a car before I didn't realise you could barter with them. So, like I say, it was exactly like Life of Brian.

'What? Aren't you going to barter with me?'

'Erm..should I?'

'Yeah, go on.'

'Ok then. Erm...£2,900?'

'£2,900? The car's going for £3,000. Start lower.'

'Oh. Right. £2,000?'

'£2,000! Are you mad?'

etc etc

B)

I think you can get the form off the Internet

Wor lass did it that way after someone totalled our peugeot

98419[/snapback]

Aye you can download it, but I'm gonna see if the Post Office give me a refund over the counter first.

98421[/snapback]

Don't think so - its part of the Joined Up Govt we have - the Post Office only act as agents (not bankers) for the DVLA

Have to agree with Rob on this one. A Post Office clerk cannot verify on the spot if your tax disc is legitimate.

In addition to that it's up to the DVLA to authorise the refund, NOT Post Office Counters Ltd.

Have to agree with Rob on this one. A Post Office clerk cannot verify on the spot if your tax disc is legitimate.

In addition to that it's up to the DVLA to authorise the refund, NOT Post Office Counters Ltd.

98461[/snapback]

OK then, so if i have to send it away it will obviously not be processed until after I've swapped motors. So what happens with the car I'm giving them in exchange, can I give it to them without a tax disc?

Guest Toplass-101

Just ask the garage if they would like you to leave the car taxed, if they do they will pay you for the remaining time, I guess they might suggest offsetting the refund against your new agreement if you getting a car on finance via them, but you can always just ask them to pay you for it.

If they dont want the car taxed just get a form from post office and send it off.

98461[/snapback]

OK then, so if i have to send it away it will obviously not be processed until after I've swapped motors. So what happens with the car I'm giving them in exchange, can I give it to them without a tax disc?

98465[/snapback]

It's up to them to tax their car - but you could just leave it on and get the cash off them

When you send in the Change of Ownership slip to the DVLA (and make sure you do FFS) they will change their records so the new owner is the registered Keeper witha valid tax disk

98461[/snapback]

98465[/snapback]

It's up to them to tax their car - but you could just leave it on and get the cash off them

When you send in the Change of Ownership slip to the DVLA (and make sure you do FFS) they will change their records so the new owner is the registered Keeper witha valid tax disk

98482[/snapback]

So i can just pull up at the garage, take my tax disk out the holder and give them the keys if they don't want to refund me the tax?

Guest Toplass-101

98461[/snapback]

98465[/snapback]

98482[/snapback]

So i can just pull up at the garage, take my tax disk out the holder and give them the keys if they don't want to refund me the tax?

98485[/snapback]

Yes, its your disc, they need to refund you if they want it.

My car doesnt have Tax because its a Classic good eh.anyways the only worthwhile Audi to have is one from the RS range.the rest of there cars are for old biddies with trilbies and cigars.

My car doesnt have Tax because its a Classic good eh.anyways the only worthwhile Audi to have is one from the RS range.the rest of there cars are for old biddies with trilbies and cigars.

98578[/snapback]

Well I'm no old biddy but I do enjoy a good trillby and cigar!