Players Who Are Worse Than Joelinton?

Ugly Mackems

16 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Needs work on his finishing big time as much as we all like him and also can big a thin line between aggressive play and daft bookings. If we seriously kick on in the next couple of years it's something he'll need to get right to be a part of it. Be good if he can as he's a likeable kid and a monster on his day. :good:(coming into the PL as a foreign lad and playing under Bruce wasn't exactly doing him any favours). 

I wonder if this phase of our transformation means we have to lean into the dark arts a little more. Once we add more, better players we won't need to spoil the game and impose ourselves as physically as we do because we've have the technical ability to play around trouble more often. 

@Howay got it spot on, a bit of good coaching and he looks a totally different player. Joelinton deserves credit himself for going off and getting outside coaching when Bruce was in charge. He can still improve every part of his game, but he's now a very good Premier League midfielder.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

He's not all there, Ritchie, is he?

Definitely something off about him, but in a good way (at this stage).

I could watch/losten to this over and over, especially the way noone reacts as though he's done anything unusual. Just Ritchie being Ritchie.

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

I wonder if this phase of our transformation means we have to lean into the dark arts a little more. Once we add more, better players we won't need to spoil the game and impose ourselves as physically as we do because we've have the technical ability to play around trouble more often. 

@Howay got it spot on, a bit of good coaching and he looks a totally different player. Joelinton deserves credit himself for going off and getting outside coaching when Bruce was in charge. He can still improve every part of his game, but he's now a very good Premier League midfielder.

Aye his turnaround is incredible and as you say massively down to him, he never dropped his head and always put in a shift under Bruce no matter how bad it got.

He’s flying now under Howe in the current system which uses more running power and physicality. I think in future he will be a James Milner type player for us, he’s such a good athlete that he can put in a shift across the attack and midfield which is a real asset to have given squad size limits etc. He’s also an intimidating bloke which is a good thing to have as the squad improves in flair/quality. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, OTF said:

Definitely something off about him, but in a good way (at this stage).

I could watch/losten to this over and over, especially the way noone reacts as though he's done anything unusual. Just Ritchie being Ritchie.

When we moved into this house 4 and a bit years ago, every night there was this indiscernible shouting outside about 7:30pm that would go on for about 10 minutes. Me and the Mrs would peer out the window to try and figure it out, but we never worked out what was going on. Finally one night I'm heading out for beer because I'm such a bloody bloke and I see this lad with Downs Syndrome, headphones on, shouting/singing into a hand held microphone presumably on his way home. 

Everybody's reaction to Ritchie in that video makes me think of the street's reaction to the shouty lad, just accept it as him being him. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Howay said:

Aye his turnaround is incredible and as you say massively down to him, he never dropped his head and always put in a shift under Bruce no matter how bad it got.

He’s flying now under Howe in the current system which uses more running power and physicality. I think in future he will be a James Milner type player for us, he’s such a good athlete that he can put in a shift across the attack and midfield which is a real asset to have given squad size limits etc. He’s also an intimidating bloke which is a good thing to have as the squad improves in flair/quality. 

He is, but only on the pitch. He looks a right sweetheart off it. Not like Shelvey who looks like a surly teenager being forced to play football when really he wants to be hanging out with his mates drinking white lightning in the park and setting fire to Lynx cans.

• Haha 5

He's one of my favourite players to watch now like. Him and Bruno together, bossing the midfield, constantly harassing the opposition when they're in posession. Must admit I thought he was pure shite when he first came here. If he could just shoot a bit better, he would be absolute top level. 

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

An illuminating thread. Two of the biggest spunk trumpets in recent TT history annihilating Big Joe, but kudos to Dave and Howay for at least bringing some nuance in. I notice I didn’t offer an opinion, which is mostly in character because as you all know am rarely opinionated as to the effectiveness of Brazilian midfielders :cuppa:

Anyway, I’ve dragged this up to post this 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

The best thing about Joelinton is he’s actually improving still. I thought he was sensational yesterday, his positioning keeps improving which is vital in CM and his growing confidence means he’s so assured on the ball. He also showed his versatility which allowed us to completely shift the team around when Willock etc come on. What a bloke. 

• Like 12

he's a monster in midfield but i think when everyone's fit, he should go out to the left wing again, with willock inside him. that is a dreamy combination with joelinton's strength and aggression plus willock's pace, direct running and passing range. gordon can play on the right, or rotate with joelinton at left wing depending on form/fitness. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

he's a monster in midfield but i think when everyone's fit, he should go out to the left wing again, with willock inside him. that is a dreamy combination with joelinton's strength and aggression plus willock's pace, direct running and passing range. gordon can play on the right, or rotate with joelinton at left wing depending on form/fitness. 

Happy Excuse Me GIF

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I am all for equality but I can't help but think both would play better if Willock wasn't inside him during the match.

• Haha 7