Players Who Are Worse Than Joelinton?

Ugly Mackems

I doubt the real fee was £40m but at half of that he's still probably our worst buy ever.  I do agree with Fish that Bruce can make any of our players worse but I still can't see anything like a decent Premier League player in him.

As has been mentioned before, we've managed to spend tens of millions to downgrade from Joselu.  Mind I can only imagine how much worse Joselu would have been with Bruce coaching him.

3 hours ago, David Kelly said:

I doubt the real fee was £40m but at half of that he's still probably our worst buy ever.  I do agree with Fish that Bruce can make any of our players worse but I still can't see anything like a decent Premier League player in him.

As has been mentioned before, we've managed to spend tens of millions to downgrade from Joselu.  Mind I can only imagine how much worse Joselu would have been with Bruce coaching him.

Pretty sure @Isegrim said it was £40m 

18 hours ago, David Kelly said:

You mean FIFA21 Team of the Year nomination Joselu?

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

You mean FIFA21 Team of the Year nomination Joselu?

I mean the Joselu that played for us.  Apparently he's done much better in Spain but even at the level he managed for us Joelinton is still a downgrade.

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

I mean the Joselu that played for us.  Apparently he's done much better in Spain but even at the level he managed for us Joelinton is still a downgrade.

Yeah was only messing, I think Joselu suffered in a similar way to Joelinton. Newcastle needed a target man like Rondon, and Joselu was never that. Neither is Joelinton. Honestly if this was Joelinton's first season I don't think he'd be getting the same opprobrium. 

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah was only messing, I think Joselu suffered in a similar way to Joelinton. Newcastle needed a target man like Rondon, and Joselu was never that. Neither is Joelinton. Honestly if this was Joelinton's first season I don't think he'd be getting the same opprobrium. 

He fucking would like.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

You can't just look at his performance this season in isolation though.  Yes he was played out of position the majority of last season and he's woefully out of his depth as a target man, but his performances while better have been very average if we're being kind.

We did pay tens of millions for him, he hasn't scored, he hasn't assisted and he hasn't played well.  We can come up with all of the reasons we want to explain this but the facts say he has been an absolute disaster of a signing and he really doesn't deserve his place ahead of Gayle or Almiron or whoever else he's keeping out of the team.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

He fucking would like.

Nah. There are two major factors in the level of abuse he's getting. His transfer fee and his performances. The first has fuck all to do with him. The second he can be held responsible for a portion, but not everything. Like I said, Bruce persisted with him as an isolated targetman despite it being obvious that he just isn't that kind of player. He's not even an actual striker ffs.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

Nah. There are two major factors in the level of abuse he's getting. His transfer fee and his performances. The first has fuck all to do with him. The second he can be held responsible for a portion, but not everything. Like I said, Bruce persisted with him as an isolated targetman despite it being obvious that he just isn't that kind of player. He's not even an actual striker ffs.

He's not shown enough in any position to be worthy of a game though.

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

You can't just look at his performance this season in isolation though.  Yes he was played out of position the majority of last season and he's woefully out of his depth as a target man, but his performances while better have been very average if we're being kind.

We did pay tens of millions for him, he hasn't scored, he hasn't assisted and he hasn't played well.  We can come up with all of the reasons we want to explain this but the facts say he has been an absolute disaster of a signing and he really doesn't deserve his place ahead of Gayle or Almiron or whoever else he's keeping out of the team.

He's a young lad, playing in a new league, for a bad coach, in a shit system that, for the majority of his time here, had him isolated in an unfamiliar position and role. I agree that Gayle or Almiron should be ahead of him. But honestly, you'd think he was Ali Dia the way some of our fans are abusing him.

The fee is the fault of the club, and I'd say more than half of the issue with his performances are because of the manager. He should still do better, but christ on a bike, he's not that bad.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He's a young lad, playing in a new league, for a bad coach, in a shit system that, for the majority of his time here, had him isolated in an unfamiliar position and role. I agree that Gayle or Almiron should be ahead of him. But honestly, you'd think he was Ali Dia the way some of our fans are abusing him.

The fee is the fault of the club, and I'd say more than half of the issue with his performances are because of the manager. He should still do better, but christ on a bike, he's not that bad.

I agree the way some of the fans have been with him has been poor, a lot of people weren't prepared to give him any chance at all.  But we've just given away to Huddersfield a player who's only a year older than and has done just about as much as him but actually showed glimpses of a footballer.  Unfortunately Jo hasn't managed that much.

23 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I agree the way some of the fans have been with him has been poor, a lot of people weren't prepared to give him any chance at all.  But we've just given away to Huddersfield a player who's only a year older than and has done just about as much as him but actually showed glimpses of a footballer.  Unfortunately Jo hasn't managed that much.

The consensus appears to be that Joelinton is written off. I think that's harsh given he's only been in the country for, what, 18 months? And he's played his entire Newcastle career under the tutelage of a sentient compost heap.

8 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The consensus appears to be that Joelinton is written off. I think that's harsh given he's only been in the country for, what, 18 months? And he's played his entire Newcastle career under the tutelage of a sentient compost heap.

I think it's fair given his lack of anything.  

Lewis is still getting the benefit of the doubt from me because of Bruce but he needs to improve a lot or he'll go the same way as Jo.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

I think it's fair given his lack of anything.  

Lewis is still getting the benefit of the doubt from me because of Bruce but he needs to improve a lot or he'll go the same way as Jo.

Would you feel the same if he'd cost £40m?

4 hours ago, The Fish said:

you can shove that opinion up your opprobrium 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Something funny definitely went on there.  There's no way anyone has ever looked at him and thought £40m was a fair value for him.  If we have paid that much there must be something else going on.

They were just stupid to meet Hoffenheim’s valuation after Joelinton had played well there the season before. Hoffenheim sold Firmino to Liverpool for 41m Euro and Joelinton was thought to have at least the same potential at the time. Therefore Hoffenheim were only willing to sell him for a club record fee thinking that would scare buyers off.

In the end I am still not sure if you have to see Joelinton as a one season wonder who was made looking good by the excellence of Nagelsmann and because of playing with überconfidence or if it is because any confidence and skills got coached out of him by the Bruceysaur.

It would have probably been the pest for all parties if Joelinton had stayed at least another year at Hoffenheim. In the end the move probably is just a waste of 40m and a football career.

Rafa certainly was right that he didn’t want to have him for half the money.

We knew he wasn’t a centre forward when he came but after 40 or so games at centre forward he still doesn’t look like a centre forward.How the fuck can you not learn anything about your roll after that many games in the roll? With regards to him being shite,I am basing that on what I’ve seen on the pitch ,not on what he cost.If I wanted to talk about money,I’d comment on him stealing a wage every week through his lack of effort.I’m still waiting for someone to point out what he’s average at,never mind good at.The soft shite goes down every game holding his back for some reason.