Sir Bobby Robsons Team

Guest CrimsonFault

Guest CrimsonFault

I really miss that team, me.

Jenas, Robert, Bellamy, Hughes, Bernard, Woodgate...

We were quality.

Cant believe that we were dissapointed when we finished 5th when you look at our current situation.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your tin hat on. There are a canny few people who insist now that they knew we were going backwards

And Souness made "great" signings and "necessary" sales to "improve" the team

We were quality.

Cant believe that we were dissapointed when we finished 5th when you look at our current situation.

98866[/snapback]

I miss the Keegan era, but times change. Get over it.

We were quality.

98866[/snapback]

98870[/snapback]

It's like someone who can't get over being dumped by their girlfriend tbh

Guest CrimsonFault

We were quality.

98866[/snapback]

98870[/snapback]

I will, eventually, when Roeder gets us the FA Cup this season.

Get your tin hat on. There are a canny few people who insist now that they knew we were going backwards

98868[/snapback]

We WERE going backwards. Now who's got the rose-tinters on?! 71 points, 69 points and 59 points in his last 3 seasons in charge IIRC.

98868[/snapback]

We WERE going backwards. Now who's got the rose-tinters on?! 71 points, 69 points and 59 points in his last 3 seasons in charge IIRC.

98881[/snapback]

Rot set in when we blew it against Belgrade. FACTILICIOUS.

98868[/snapback]

98881[/snapback]

WERE going backwards to the extent that YOU supported the manager who destroyed the team.....now YOU said that this was justified and we should "give him time" .. remember ?

Going down from 3rd to 5th was hardly the disaster nor the reason to make the changes that YOU agreed with...

Amazing. The point is that people implied that our fall down to 14th was more or less inevitable, due to the need to get rid of our best players, including you.

2 years ago NUFC needed ago a right back, a replacement for Shearer, a top quality central defender and a central midfield player to replace Gary Speed to get back into the CL slots......now we need a replacement for Craig Bellamy, a central defender and a right back thanks to fuckwit, despite spending 50m quid.

We are also extemely fortunate that Bobby Robson found us N'Zogbia otherwise we would be needing a replacement for Robert too. We also need a left back, for which he can't be blamed.

Edited by LeazesMag

98868[/snapback]

98881[/snapback]

98885[/snapback]

Yes, and blew it is the word, it was nothing to do with "not buying anyone", as we had already bought Woodgate, and got Bowyer for nothing, which getting 2 players like that for 9m was very well done.

There was a slight decline in Bobby's last (full) season, but alot of that was down to Bobby losing the plot, playing people out of position, not using subs and kicking Nobby out.

When Souness came in he inherited a top 6 squad whether people like that or not. It neede a little work, some motivation and a few new ideas to take it back to challenging for 4th onwards. Something fuckwitt himself acknowledged by pointing out it was the best squad he'd worked with.

To finish anywhere below 6th would have been poor, to finish where he did was abysmal and for people to try and suggest we were heading that way anyway is simply wrong.

Under Bobby (who was losing it) we'd have finished anywhere between say 10th at worst and 6th if he managed his previous seasons efforts of bad start and then recovery. Under a new manager but not Souness we could have done much the same.

Had Fat Fred done his job properly, moved Bobby on close season, got the right man and given them time and money we could be flying, but he didn't and we aren't!

98868[/snapback]

98881[/snapback]

98885[/snapback]

Yes, and blew it is the word, it was nothing to do with "not buying anyone", as we had already bought Woodgate, and got Bowyer for nothing, which getting 2 players like that for 9m was very well done.

98895[/snapback]

we played some great football in the years we finished 4th and 3rd

The following season however, although we ended up scraping a 5th spot, the standard of play was shocking at times!!

98868[/snapback]

98881[/snapback]

WERE going backwards to the extent that YOU supported the manager who destroyed the team.....now YOU said that this was justified and we should "give him time" .. remember ?

Going down from 3rd to 5th was hardly the disaster nor the reason to make the changes that YOU agreed with...

Amazing. The point is that people implied that our fall down to 14th was more or less inevitable, due to the need to get rid of our best players, including you.

2 years ago NUFC needed ago a right back, a replacement for Shearer, a top quality central defender and a central midfield player to replace Gary Speed to get back into the CL slots......now we need a replacement for Craig Bellamy, a central defender and a right back thanks to fuckwit, despite spending 50m quid.

We are also extemely fortunate that Bobby Robson found us N'Zogbia otherwise we would be needing a replacement for Robert too. We also need a left back, for which he can't be blamed.

98893[/snapback]

Fucking hell, none of the above is relevant to the fact that we WERE going backwards under Robson. Can you try, for once, to not witter on about "some of you said give Souness time, and now look where we are". We're talking about Bobby Robson, not Graeme Souness - do you think it's possible that you can look at the time Robson was here....you know, before Souness arrived...and just focus on that and not what happened after? Or does every discussion you have on here have to come back to "Ahhh, but some of you said to give fuckwit time"? Saying you're like a broken record doesn't even begin to do you justice mate.

We were quality.

98866[/snapback]

I partly agree with the sentiment but I also agree with the comments that Robson was taking us backwards. Also:

Jenas - shit for the last two and half years or so at the club.

Robert - was getting worse with each performance.

Bellamy - I'll give you that one

Hughes - not good enough

Bernard - liked him but he pissed on his chips and it wasn't the first time he'd messed the club about over a new contract (remember when he nearly went to West Ham)

Woodgate - class but always injured I'm afraid, if he hadn't gone to Madrid he would have barely played a game for us over the last two seasons.

98868[/snapback]

98881[/snapback]

98893[/snapback]

Fucking hell, none of the above is relevant to the fact that we WERE going backwards under Robson. Can you try, for once, to not witter on about "some of you said give Souness time, and now look where we are". We're talking about Bobby Robson, not Graeme Souness - do you think it's possible that you can look at the time Robson was here....you know, before Souness arrived...and just focus on that and not what happened after? Or does every discussion you have on here have to come back to "Ahhh, but some of you said to give fuckwit time"? Saying you're like a broken record doesn't even begin to do you justice mate.

99025[/snapback]

We weren't going backwards much exactly were we....we needed re-freshing, the replacing of some older players, and had plenty of money to do it with, and now its gone. Thats the point Gem, as well as the fact that "going backwards" doesn't mean crashing down to 14th place or making it necessary to sell certain players, which is an absolute load of shit.

And make no mistake about it, it IS gone. There is no way this club can find that sort of money again, and its no good people saying Fred is "shit" when he can't do it, he's proved it time and time again when it comes to money all the managers have had every chance, but letting those players go, including the fringe players for the money we did and signing the players we did for what we did, will take a lot of time to recover from.

If that money had been spent on Owen, Parker, a good central defender and a good right back to top up ALL the first teamers that were already at the club, apart from Kluivert and Jenas, we would be back in the top 4 and could well have won a cup by now as well.

Edited by LeazesMag

As an aside (and this is obviously with the benefit of hindsight), I really wish that following KK's exit we'd gone with a caretaker until the end of the season and got Sir Bobby in the summer. I really think we would have seen some silverware were that the case.

98868[/snapback]

98881[/snapback]

98885[/snapback]

98895[/snapback]

we played some great football in the years we finished 4th and 3rd

The following season however, although we ended up scraping a 5th spot, the standard of play was shocking at times!!

98945[/snapback]

Spot on, we were extremely fortunate to finsh 5th that season and some of the games were painfull.

We were on a downward spiral with SBR but it shouldn't have turned out to be the almost sheer drop that it turned out to be over the last two seasons. And you can thank a certain fat git for that! No matter how much money he tried to help Souness with, you can't hide the fact that his timing of the dismissal of SBR (not the mention the disgracefull way that he actually did it) was idiotic. If he had been moved on in the summer we could have found the right replacement and given them the pre season to and finances to build a team.

There was a slight decline in Bobby's last (full) season, but alot of that was down to Bobby losing the plot, playing people out of position, not using subs and kicking Nobby out.

When Souness came in he inherited a top 6 squad whether people like that or not. It neede a little work, some motivation and a few new ideas to take it back to challenging for 4th onwards. Something fuckwitt himself acknowledged by pointing out it was the best squad he'd worked with.

To finish anywhere below 6th would have been poor, to finish where he did was abysmal and for people to try and suggest we were heading that way anyway is simply wrong.

Under Bobby (who was losing it) we'd have finished anywhere between say 10th at worst and 6th if he managed his previous seasons efforts of bad start and then recovery. Under a new manager but not Souness we could have done much the same.

Had Fat Fred done his job properly, moved Bobby on close season, got the right man and given them time and money we could be flying, but he didn't and we aren't!

98896[/snapback]

Spot on.

98896[/snapback]

Spot on.

99094[/snapback]

it is, the only part I would waver on is the bit where he says give him "a lot of money" because as much as we all want the best, we had spent a fortune in the 2-3 previous years to get back into the top four.

You can't blame Shepherd © Leazes

99093[/snapback]

You can for some things Alex, I just put him in context rather than give him the slavering and often unrealistic criticism he gets

99093[/snapback]

You can for some things Alex, I just put him in context rather than give him the slavering and often unrealistic criticism he gets

99097[/snapback]

;)

99093[/snapback]

99097[/snapback]

;)

99102[/snapback]

context means naming the dozens of better ones, as no one seems to be able ....

99093[/snapback]

99097[/snapback]

;)

99102[/snapback]

context means naming the dozens of better ones, as no one seems to be able ....

99106[/snapback]

:P Leazes man, stop it!

We were quality.

98866[/snapback]

I miss Woodgate. ;)

Did anyone see the interview with Robert at the start of the week? Apparently he get's booed by the Benfica fans.