Sir Bobby Robsons Team

Guest CrimsonFault

I really miss that team, me.

Jenas, Robert, Bellamy, Hughes, Bernard, Woodgate...

We were quality.

Cant believe that we were dissapointed when we finished 5th when you look at our current situation.

98866[/snapback]

I miss Woodgate. ;)

Did anyone see the interview with Robert at the start of the week? Apparently he get's booed by the Benfica fans.

99108[/snapback]

The only manager who's put up with him for more than 2 minutes in recent times is Robson and that's because he bought him for £9.5million. FACT!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get your tin hat on. There are a canny few people who insist now that they knew we were going backwards

And Souness made "great" signings and "necessary" sales to "improve" the team

98868[/snapback]

Actually, I thought we were going backwards toward the end of the season we finished 3rd, and said so. That was the time to move Robson on and change it a bit, in order to make the next step forward.

It may well be true to say we did start falling backwards a little towards the end of the season we finished 3rd but I think it would have been totally unfair on SBR to move him out then. He'd more than earned the oppertunity to have another season. But I think it did become apparant that season that he no longer could move us forward and he should certainly have been moved upstairs when we finished 5th.

i always said sbr should have been given the chance to see out his contract and leave the club with dignity after the way he transformed us into a top 5 club. i always suspected that the grass wouldn't necceserily be greener if we got rid of him. sadly i was proven right.

It all depends what the other side is. If it's the stupid appointment of a clown like Souness your right but if you use the oppertunity to appoint a good manager then the grass is greener.

The poor choice of replacement didn't mean that removing SBR wasn't the correct (if mis timed) decision.

I belive this is a better side on paper, but the most likely reason we were disappointing the season we finished fifth is down to the fact that the rest of the premiership improved and we didn't, I belive are only investment in the summer was Mr. Bowyer.

It may well be true to say we did start falling backwards a little towards the end of the season we finished 3rd but I think it would have been totally unfair on SBR to move him out then.  He'd more than earned the oppertunity to have another season.  But I think it did become apparant that season that he no longer could move us forward and he should certainly have been moved upstairs when we finished 5th.

99308[/snapback]

No room for sentiment mate. Liverpoo got rid of Hoolia despite winning 5 trophies. The signs were there and this is one thing I do blame FS for, he wasn't ruthless enough.

i always said sbr should have been given the chance to see out his contract and leave the club with dignity after the way he transformed us into a top 5 club. i always suspected that the grass wouldn't necceserily be greener if we got rid of him. sadly i was proven right.

99312[/snapback]

Doesn't have to be like that though. See the previous comment about Liverpool. They won the CL I seem to recall.

I belive this is a better side on paper, but the most likely reason we were disappointing the season we finished fifth is down to the fact that the rest of the premiership improved and we didn't, I belive are only investment in the summer was Mr. Bowyer.

99321[/snapback]

;)

Aye, and Ambrose and Woodgate the previous January.

How many times..............

BTW Our current side is nowhere near as good as the one Robson produced.

Edited by Howaythelads

It may well be true to say we did start falling backwards a little towards the end of the season we finished 3rd but I think it would have been totally unfair on SBR to move him out then.  He'd more than earned the oppertunity to have another season.  But I think it did become apparant that season that he no longer could move us forward and he should certainly have been moved upstairs when we finished 5th.

99308[/snapback]

No room for sentiment mate. Liverpoo got rid of Hoolia despite winning 5 trophies. The signs were there and this is one thing I do blame FS for, he wasn't ruthless enough.

99363[/snapback]

I don't think it's being sentimental to allow someone who took us from relegation fodder to a second consecutive top four finish, another season just because he had made some iffy decisions. What he had done before suggested he could get us back on track (especially as we were hardly off it in the first place).

What was sentimental was allowing him to continue on the begining of the season after when he had allowed the team to fall well below the standards he had set and after he had shown that he had little idea of how to put things right.

It all depends what the other side is.  If it's the stupid appointment of a clown like Souness your right but if you use the oppertunity to appoint a good manager then the grass is greener.

The poor choice of replacement didn't mean that removing SBR wasn't the correct (if mis timed) decision.

99315[/snapback]

well i maintain it was the wrong decision, despite being in the minority among posters on the old toon-chat forum.

i always felt he deserved to see out his contract with dignity after he took us from mid table nobodies to top 5 regulars and the brink of the champions league knock out stage.

he'd finished 5th and had a nightmare in the champions league, which was a disappointment after the previous two seasons but hardly enough to warrant sacking the man.

another scandalous decision from the fat controller. shepherd and souness have put us back 5 years and undone all sbr's good work.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

I don't think it's being sentimental to allow someone who took us from relegation fodder to a second consecutive top four finish, another season just because he had made some iffy decisions. What he had done before suggested he could get us back on track (especially as we were hardly off it in the first place).

What was sentimental was allowing him to continue on the begining of the season after when he had allowed the team to fall well below the standards he had set and after he had shown that he had little idea of how to put things right.

99371[/snapback]

I'm not saying he made some 'iffy' decisions. Where do you get that from?

What I'm saying is that the evidence on the pitch during the latter stages of that season showed that Robson could take the club no further. The following season proved it for god's sake.

If the Chairman had recognised that and kept Robson on for the reason you state, then that IS sentment. Everybody I know believes that when we finished 3rd the performances generally were poorer than when we finished 4th the year before. Surely you remember that period? Everybody I spoke to on match days thought this, and people were banging on about it on nufc boards all over the shop at the time.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

i don't agree with that like.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99371[/snapback]

What I'm saying is that the evidence on the pitch during the latter stages of that season showed that Robson could take the club no further. The following season proved it for god's sake.

If the Chairman had recognised that and kept Robson on for the reason you state, then that IS sentment. Everybody I know believes that when we finished 3rd the performances generally were poorer than when we finished 4th the year before. Surely you remember that period? Everybody I spoke to on match days thought this, and people were banging on about it on nufc boards all over the shop at the time.

99378[/snapback]

maybe performances were slightly poorer, but we finished a place higher. you don't sack the manager after he's taken you up a place in the league unless you're real madrid.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99381[/snapback]

Which bit........

1. No room for sentiment mate

2. Liverpoo got rid of Hoolia despite winning 5 trophies

3. The signs were there

4. this is one thing I do blame FS for, he wasn't ruthless enough.

Just so I know, like.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99371[/snapback]

99378[/snapback]

maybe performances were slightly poorer, but we finished a place higher. you don't sack the manager after he's taken you up a place in the league unless you're real madrid.

99383[/snapback]

They were more than slightly poorer and there's no reason why the club can't change manager after finishing 3rd. If the ambition is to finish 1st and it's believed the current manager can take the club no further............

As I say, Liverpool won 5 trophies yet still sacked Hoolia. They wanted to move forward in the league, he wasn't the man and they recognised it.

Get your tin hat on. There are a canny few people who insist now that they knew we were going backwards

98868[/snapback]

???????/ We normally agree but i hardly think selling Bellamy, Aaron Hughes, Andy O Brian and letting Milner out on loan improved the team, as for great signings Owen (when hes fit) and Scott Parker excepted what great signings?.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99381[/snapback]

Which bit........

3. The signs were there

Just so I know, like.

99384[/snapback]

i don't agree that we were in a position to sack the manager after he'd taken us up a place in the league.

i agree about there being no room for sentiment but it's not is af we were stuggling at the time is it? under bobby we had enjoyed our two best seasons since keegan. we were winning games, playing attacking, attractive football and it was actually fun to go the the match again for the first time in years.

i don't agree the signs were there. we were played good football that season, if not quite as good as the season before. and if shepherd had sacked robson the summer after we finished 3rd he would be even more unpopular than he is now.....FACTizzle my nizzle

It all depends what the other side is.  If it's the stupid appointment of a clown like Souness your right but if you use the oppertunity to appoint a good manager then the grass is greener.

99315[/snapback]

well i maintain it was the wrong decision, despite being in the minority among posters on the old toon-chat forum.

i always felt he deserved to see out his contract with dignity after he took us from mid table nobodies to top 5 regulars and the brink of the champions league knock out stage.

he'd finished 5th and had a nightmare in the champions league, which was a disappointment after the previous two seasons but hardly enough to warrant sacking the man.

another scandalous decision from the fat controller. shepherd and souness have put us back 5 years and undone all sbr's good work.

99376[/snapback]

I agree with most of what your saying Dan, I just think that season we finished 5th by the skin of our teeth after some truely awfull performances and he should have been moved upstairs then. He certainly should have been allowed to leave with more dignity than the fat man allowed.

98868[/snapback]

???????/ We normally agree but i hardly think selling Bellamy, Aaron Hughes, Andy O Brian and letting Milner out on loan improved the team, as for great signings Owen (when hes fit) and Scott Parker excepted what great signings?.

99386[/snapback]

Whooosh!

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99381[/snapback]

Which bit........

3. The signs were there

Just so I know, like.

99384[/snapback]

i don't agree that we were in a position to sack the manager after he'd taken us up a place in the league.

i agree about there being no room for sentiment but it's not is af we were stuggling at the time is it? under bobby we had enjoyed our two best seasons since keegan. we were winning games, playing attacking, attractive football and it was actually fun to go the the match again for the first time in years.

i don't agree the signs were there. we were played good football that season, if not quite as good as the season before. and if shepherd had sacked robson the summer after we finished 3rd he would be even more unpopular than he is now.....FACTizzle my nizzle

99389[/snapback]

He would be if he'd appointed Souness, but if he'd appointed the RIGHT man to take us forward why would FS be unpopular????

I think your memory is showing signs of failure, Dan. We weren't as good when we finished 3rd as when we finished 4th.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99371[/snapback]

99378[/snapback]

99383[/snapback]

They were more than slightly poorer and there's no reason why the club can't change manager after finishing 3rd. If the ambition is to finish 1st and it's believed the current manager can take the club no further............

As I say, Liverpool won 5 trophies yet still sacked Hoolia. They wanted to move forward in the league, he wasn't the man and they recognised it.

99385[/snapback]

well i don't think many people thought that, hence the reason why he kept his job. at the time there was an optimistic feeling around st james. we were in the champions league qualifyers for the second consequitive year running.

i can't remember anyone on any message board or at the match calling for sbr's head (that started the season after when we fucked up against belgrade).

and i don't know about you but i was buzzing after we finished 3rd. one of the best times to be a toon fan since the keegan days. i'd gladly swap the last two years worth of dross for a replay of the sbr days.

99308[/snapback]

99363[/snapback]

99371[/snapback]

99378[/snapback]

That was my opininion and I wasn't trying to attribute it to you.

I think he made some iffy decisions that resulting in our football suffering a bit that season but didn't imo suggest he couldn't take us any futher. I agree his actions of the next season did prove that though and he should have gone then. In a way that showed respect for what he did for us and his standing in the game.

It is not sentiment keeping a bloke on who took us to third. Every one makes some mistakes and not firing them for each one is not sentiment.

99315[/snapback]

99376[/snapback]

I agree with most of what your saying Dan, I just think that season we finished 5th by the skin of our teeth after some truely awfull performances and he should have been moved upstairs then. He certainly should have been allowed to leave with more dignity than the fat man allowed.

99391[/snapback]

aye. either the summer beforehand (with sbr's blessing) or the summer his contract ended.

i think the problem was that sbr was too proud to move upstairs when shepherd wanted him to so the fat twat bottled the decision and sacked him 4 games in to the new season instead.

well i don't think many people thought that, hence the reason why he kept his job. at the time there was an optimistic feeling around st james. we were in the champions league qualifyers for the second consequitive year running.

i can't remember anyone on any message board or at the match calling for sbr's head (that started the season after when we fucked up against belgrade).

and i don't know about you but i was buzzing after we finished 3rd. one of the best times to be a toon fan since the keegan days. i'd gladly swap the last two years worth of dross for a replay of the sbr days.

99396[/snapback]

It was after we finished 3rd that we lost the play off to Belgrade. We lost to Belgrade in August/September 2003, we finished 3rd in May 2003. It is generally accepted by many that the slide began AFTER that match with Belgrade, I thought it started earlier that same year. That's all I'm saying.