One law for the 'Mericans - one for the rest

Rob W

Bush threatens veto in ports row

US President George W Bush says he will veto any law blocking a deal giving an Arab company control of six US ports.

The threat came as Bill Frist, leader of the Republican Party in the Senate, said he would move a blocking law if the government did not delay the deal. The issue has developed into a very serious political standoff between Mr Bush and senior Republicans, the BBC's Justin Webb reports. The administration is to brief a Senate committee on the deal on Wednesday.

Administration officials will address an unusual session of the Senate Armed Services Committee on the planned takeover, which would put six of the largest ports in the hands of Dubai Ports World of the United Arab Emirates. The ports are New York, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Baltimore, New Orleans and Miami.

Critics say this would make the US more vulnerable to terrorism.

The ports are currently run by British ports and shipping firm P&O, which has agreed a $6.8bn (£3.9bn) takeover by DP World. President Bush said that the government had looked at the issue carefully and that he believed the deal should go ahead.

He called on opponents to explain why they opposed a Middle Eastern firm taking over when they did not oppose a British company being in control.

"I am trying to conduct foreign policy now by saying to the people of the world, 'We'll treat you fairly'," he said. "It would send a terrible signal to friends and allies not to let this transaction go through," he told reporters.

Senator Frist, the majority leader in the Senate, said the deal "should be put on hold until the administration conducts a more extensive review of this matter".

If it did not call a delay, he said he would introduce legislation to ensure the postponement. Sen Frist is the most senior Republican and the most senior figure in the Senate to oppose the deal. Senior Republicans believe Mr Bush should have paid more attention to the way the deal would be perceived in the US, our correspondent says.

Security risk

However, the deal has alarmed lawmakers from both parties. Critics fear an increased risk of terrorist attacks, pointing out that the UAE was the home of two of the hijackers involved in the 11 September 2001 attacks.

Democratic Sen Charles Schumer of New York said: "This company is coming out of a country that has had a strong al-Qaeda presence. In this post 9/11 world, we cannot consider approving this contract until a much more thorough investigation takes place on this security matter."

The administration has rejected the concerns, saying the deal was thoroughly vetted.

Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said: "Nothing changes with respect to security under the contract. The Coast Guard is in charge of security, not the corporation. We all deal with the UAE on a regular basis. It's a country that's been involved in the global war on terror."

P&O and DP World say they are confident the deal will go ahead, the latter insisting that security was "at the forefront" of its business.

I've read this article and cannot see how it relates to the post title. I would have thought you would agree with Bush on this one, and be all in favour of letting his arab mates take over ports in the USA. Btw, I'm not saying I think they shouldn't, but I admit to feeling a bit uneasy about it.

Please explain Rob. ;)

It's bad news for P&O but other than that it's a nothing story as far as I can tell.

99128[/snapback]

I'm waiting to see how it's one rule for the Americans and another for us like.

Not sure it's bad news for P&O either if they're happy to sell.

Well I DO agree with Dubya on this one

the yanks go around preaching the benifits of free enterprise to all and sundry and have even invaded places to ensure they can "invest" there...........

but when someone wants to buy a business in the US of A the shit hits the fan big time

Hypocrites

It's bad news for P&O but other than that it's a nothing story as far as I can tell.

99128[/snapback]

99130[/snapback]

Sorry, I meant P&O staff.

The main issue is the fact it's causing a major rift in the republican party, whose strength has come from the fact that 99% of them toe the Bush line.

99133[/snapback]

Well he's a lame duck now anyway who clearly doesn't want the job. I actually think that's a good thing for the rest of the world as the damage he can inflict is likely to be limited.

99128[/snapback]

99130[/snapback]

Sorry, I meant P&O staff.

99137[/snapback]

Oh, right, I guess they'll probably face redundancy. I was unaware that a British company owned these ports in the US actually. Sad they are letting go. Less pink on the map. ;)

I doubt it - Dubai Ports don't have anyone over here and apart from the guys at the top (who will be well taken care of you can be sure) they're still going to need all the workers and pretty much all the managers

As they have money they will probably want to expand ALL their operations

Funny how the Brits don't give a damn - we'd sell anything to anyone I guess

I doubt it - Dubai Ports don't have anyone over here and apart from the guys at the top (who will be well taken care of you can be sure) they're still going to need all the workers and pretty much all the managers

As they have money they will probably want to expand ALL their operations

Funny how the Brits don't give a damn - we'd sell anything to anyone I guess

99161[/snapback]

Won't companies from anywhere will sell anything to anyone if the price is right? It's a trait of big business rather than having anything to do with their being British surely?

yes but normally Govts complain - not here

99168[/snapback]

In which countries? I would have though we're more ethical than most which, admittedly, probably isn't saying much.

tbh Rob, you can't tell me that you know absolutely whether or not this is actually a good deal for P&O.

you're just flying into the face of establishment for "flying in the face of establishments" sake.

the ports may not be worth as much to P&O as they're receiving for them, these sales might finance an expansion which could lead to P&O becoming a world leader in a different area.

P&O might, with this money, be able to offer better standards of pay to their workers, better standards of service to their customers and better equipment for their staff.

Well I DO agree with Dubya on this one

the yanks go around preaching the benifits of free enterprise to all and sundry and have even invaded places to ensure they can "invest" there...........

but when someone wants to buy a business in the US of A the shit hits the fan big time

Hypocrites

99132[/snapback]

;)

As I said last time you posted 'head in the sand' drivel (almost every post, tbh).

tbh Rob, you can't tell me that you know absolutely whether or not this is actually a good deal for P&O.

you're just flying into the face of establishment for "flying in the face of establishments" sake.

the ports may not be worth as much to P&O as they're receiving for them, these sales might finance an expansion which could lead to P&O becoming a world leader in a different area.

P&O might, with this money, be able to offer better standards of pay to their workers, better standards of service to their customers and better equipment for their staff.

99267[/snapback]

I'm actually in favour of the takeover on the same grounds as you lay out

I was pointing out a) how the 'mericans are hypocrites :D most other countries DO intervene

If some foreigner thinks a business is worth more than I do then I SHOULD sell it and use the money elsewhere

I seriously believe a lot of Arab money will flood into Yurop rather than the States as no-one in the Middle East trusts the yanks anymore

Edited by Rob W