Villa determined to sign Milner

Scottish Mag

David O'Leary has revealed his determination to sign James Milner on a permanent basis from Newcastle United.

The on-loan winger was with O'Leary as a youngster with Leeds United and has impressed the Villa boss with his all-round play this season.

Although Villa were unable to afford any recruits during January's transfer window, O'Leary is hopeful that a deal can be struck with Newcastle to sign Milner in the summer.

"I think he'll just get better and better," he told the League Managers' Association's official website.

"I really, really hope for the Villa fans, that we can keep him at Aston Villa because I think he would be tremendous for us to have."

O'Leary does not think Milner will get a chance for England under Sven Goran Eriksson, but predicts a bright future for the Horsforth-born midfielder.

"I can't see it with the England manager now," he reasoned. "It depends on who's the next England manager, what he'll think of James and what he wants there.

"James's problem is he's up against the England captain on that right side.

"James is a player I think coaches will appreciate.

"He's made for The Premiership, in my opinion.

"He's got a great engine, can get and up and down the field, has great willingness to work and is fantastic for what The Premiership is about."

David O'Leary has revealed his determination to sign James Milner on a permanent basis from Newcastle United.

The on-loan winger was with O'Leary as a youngster with Leeds United and has impressed the Villa boss with his all-round play this season.

Although Villa were unable to afford any recruits during January's transfer window, O'Leary is hopeful that a deal can be struck with Newcastle to sign Milner in the summer.

"I think he'll just get better and better," he told the League Managers' Association's official website.

"I really, really hope for the Villa fans, that we can keep him at Aston Villa because I think he would be tremendous for us to have."

O'Leary does not think Milner will get a chance for England under Sven Goran Eriksson, but predicts a bright future for the Horsforth-born midfielder.

"I can't see it with the England manager now," he reasoned. "It depends on who's the next England manager, what he'll think of James and what he wants there.

"James's problem is he's up against the England captain on that right side.

"James is a player I think coaches will appreciate.

"He's made for The Premiership, in my opinion.

"He's got a great engine, can get and up and down the field, has great willingness to work and is fantastic for what The Premiership is about."

99256[/snapback]

Talking up the price.

We can't lose.

Sounds more like O'Leary playing politics with Deadly Doug (i.e. he'd love Milner but the chairman won't buy him) otherwise his comments seem a bit daft to say the least.

"James's problem is he's up against the England captain on that right side. And he can't cross."

;)

99262[/snapback]

The thing is that in the few Villa games I have seen this season Milner put in some quality crosses. He also didn't look like running in slow motion..

"James's problem is he's up against the England captain on that right side. And he can't cross."

;)

99262[/snapback]

The thing is that in the few Villa games I have seen this season Milner put in some quality crosses. He also didn't look like running in slow motion..

99270[/snapback]

Confidence man, confidence.

Someone we should keep a hold of IMO. Think he has benefited from his year at Villa.

99275[/snapback]

A Villa fan I know rates him and he goes home and away to watch them. I know, Soopafan.

;)

99262[/snapback]

99270[/snapback]

Confidence man, confidence.

99274[/snapback]

Confidence, coaching and a manager who whilst being a prick, knows how to get the best out of promising young players.

But he's stupid for talking him up too much as it doesn't help Villa at all.

We have to keep him and see what he can do for us next year, especially as he'll now have the benefit of a run in a team in the prem and some confidence.

Someone we should keep a hold of IMO. Think he has benefited from his year at Villa.

99275[/snapback]

He should never have gone to Villa in the first place. The fact that he did is yet more proof that the Manager we had at the time hadn`t a clue what a decent player is.

if the new manager sells Milner in the summer it would be the biggest crime ever, we need to hold onto him. We would be able to rotate Milner and Solano next season. Solano was Villas player of the season last year and it looks as though Milner is going to be their player of the season this year. Wouldnt it just be so great if we had Solano and Milner next season ;)

I would imagine that the Villa fans would feel sick if we had them both and it likes we will have them both next season as our next manager would be very foolish to get rid of such a good young prospect whos already maturing in this league

;)

99262[/snapback]

99270[/snapback]

Aye, it's not his fault Villa's forwards are crap.

99275[/snapback]

He should never have gone to Villa in the first place. The fact that he did is yet more proof that the Manager we had at the time hadn`t a clue what a decent player is.

99380[/snapback]

If we hadn't let him go we wouldn't have got Nobby back and Milner probably wouldn't have regained his confidence.