Souness out!

Optimistic Nut

We only lost 2 out of 10 at home under Souness this season, (one against Man U, the other to a handball) so why would I think we'd have lost to Charlton at home?

99886[/snapback]

We were lucky to draw a lot of those games to be fair. Can you really see no improvement under Roeder?

99892[/snapback]

We played some decent stuff last night, especially 1st half without any real penetration and as Renton points out we were lucky to draw at home on more than one occasion (Villa and Boro) in particular.

Even if we were shit (which we weren't), and as bad as any Souness performance (which it wasn't), what does that prove and what do you want from us?

Does it show Roeder is not good enough and we should be singing "Roeder/Shearer out" and booing (which we never really did to Souness tbf). Well there's no point because he's not staying and doesn't even want the job.

Does it show Souness was getting the best out of his players? No, because the league performances under Roeder before last night were widely accepted to have been infinitely better.

Does it prove the players we have aren't good enough? Well perhaps, but only when injuries gip us. And who bought these players anyway?

The Charlton performance had nothing in common with the abject shambles we have witnessed under Souness.

We pretty much controlled the game and but for 1 or 2 moments were never going to concede. We played with a shape and some decent one touch football, with the only thing lacking being enough cutting edge.

Despite the injuries (which Roeder didn't use an excuse) we still created two sitters for Shola and Boumsong to head in which they pissed away, a chance when Bowyer put Shola through on goal and one in the first half when Shola ran through and hit a decent shot. Shola also had one disaalowed for offside (probably rightly).

I left that perfomance thinking we were pretty solid, organised, in no danger and if our players could head a ball or Shearer had played we'd have won comfortably. When i came out of Souness' games i wanted to shoot myself...and Souness.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

The second half of the Saints game and the whole of the Charlton match were very Souness-esque for me, with a tad bit more effort and lack of fear perhaps.

In a way that's good, it will or should bring people back down to earth as a few were getting carried away after the Pompey and Villa wins and the last thing Roeder needs is raised expectations and any subsequent disappointments that follow when not met or maintained.

To my mind the only differences from the Souness team is that we now tend to play a higher line, with more width and try to play the ball on the deck a lot more, but other than that it's still a disjointed mess for me. The back-four are still all over the place at times, we still look toothless up top (although Shearer's absence is a major factor behind that) and in midfield, we still struggle to assert ourselves enough.

No blame can be laid at Roeder's feet however and it would be pathetic if that were to happen, regardless of results as there ain't a lot he can do.

No, the 3 wins and 1 draw aren't a result of major changes or because Roeder is a much better manager than Souness, but more down to a new face, a new voice, fresh ideas and the negative influence that was Souness and the cloud that followed him having been removed.

For me anyway.

The second half of the Saints game and the whole of the Charlton match were very Souness-esque for me, with a tad bit more effort and lack of fear perhaps.

In a way that's good, it will or should bring people back down to earth as a few were getting carried away after the Pompey and Villa wins and the last thing Roeder needs is raised expectations and any subsequent disappointments that follow when not met or maintained.

To my mind the only differences from the Souness team is that we now tend to play a higher line, with more width and try to play the ball on the deck a lot more, but other than that it's still a disjointed mess for me. The back-four are still all over the place at times, we still look toothless up top (although Shearer's absence is a major factor behind that) and in midfield, we still struggle to assert ourselves enough.

No blame can be laid at Roeder's feet however and it would be pathetic if that were to happen, regardless of results as there ain't a lot he can do.

No, the 3 wins and 1 draw aren't a result of major changes or because Roeder is a much better manager than Souness, but more down to a new face, a new voice, fresh ideas and the negative influence that was Souness and the cloud that followed him having been removed.

For me anyway.

100026[/snapback]

Spot on.

Still a big mess.

One big difference though - Souness didn't believe in tactics, Roeder do. :D

Nah, I'm sorry like, it's much better since Souness went. We've come out at a high tempo in all 4 games and played one touch stuff and width, players even want the ball ffs, something I haven't seen in 18 months. If anything, we're struggling in the 2nd half of games because we can't keep up the tempo. Nothing Souness-esque for me in the last 4 games, teams have been unable to cope with us in the 1st half of games and after a half time team talk re-organise themselves and stifle us. If we'd had a fit forward line against Charlton we'd have but 2 or 3 past them by half time imo. It's much better, and I'm actually quite enjoying the first halfs of our games at the minute...just need to sort out a Plan B for the 2nd halfs of games when teams re-shuffle.

Nah, I'm sorry like, it's much better since Souness went. We've come out at a high tempo in all 4 games and played one touch stuff and width, players even want the ball ffs, something I haven't seen in 18 months. If anything, we're struggling in the 2nd half of games because we can't keep up the tempo. Nothing Souness-esque for me in the last 4 games, teams have been unable to cope with us in the 1st half of games and after a half time team talk re-organise themselves and stifle us. If we'd had a fit forward line against Charlton we'd have but 2 or 3 past them by half time imo. It's much better, and I'm actually quite enjoying the first halfs of our games at the minute...just need to sort out a Plan B for the 2nd halfs of games when teams re-shuffle.

100090[/snapback]

Totally agree there, big improvement, in the attitude of the players, the shape of the team, the style of football, etc.

I think you'll find Mr Nut doesn't like Roeder one bit; rather than him liking Souness.

100021[/snapback]

I didn't want him in charge, but first 3 games I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw. And this thread was by no means a dig at Roeder, just saying, IMO, I didn't think that single performance was a lot better than Boro, Fulham & West Ham at home this season.

100090[/snapback]

Have to agree with that.

We played some decent stuff the other night but it boiled down to not having a decent striker to finish which has been the case all season other than when Owen's fit. Because we were lacking up front they were trying to walk it in which is impossible when you have a player like ameobi who can trap the ball further than i can pass it.

Got to be Shola's last season in the PL, and can't help thinking that Big Ron was getting him and Desailly mixed up.

FFS that header he missed was a fucking joke.