Arsenal, innit blud vs Steve’s Absolutely Shite Mags

Tom

On 20/01/2021 at 17:27, Gman said:

To me, that's Redknapp's way of saying, "No one used to be able to call us on our bullshit, now people have greater access to information and are proving that most of us pundits have been bullshitting this whole time." 

Or something like that... 

100%

I know the newer breed of pundits are improving the... craft(?) but you only have to look at podcasts (not mine so yous can all FUCKRIGHTOFF) to see that there's an appetite for people talking about football after doing some actual research/homework. Football Ramble is good for this, right mix of insight and levity. They don't rely on conventional wisdom, and while I sometimes disagree with their conclusions, I can't fault their work. 

• Like 1

On 20/01/2021 at 19:49, strawb said:

All pundits, colour commentators and radio host etc aren’t really there to commentate on the game or the teams. They are just there to get interactions from pissed off fans. It gets fans backs up, in turn it makes them ring into radio stations or tweet at sky sports or motd or whatever. 

If they were there to commentate there would be one bloke telling people what’s happening, not a gaggle of cunts with shite opinions. Especially at half time when they roll out a whose who of has beens or never beens to tell us we know nowt about football.

If they came out and said what was obvious to anyone with eyes, that we are shite and have gone backwards under Bruce. Everyone would agree, no controversy and no interactions.

What they  should be doing is giving the layman actual insight. Carragher and Neville on MNF are usually good for this. They break down key passages of play, or trends that may not have been obvious to the fan. When they show the way the Leeds team were breaking in such a similar way each time it was almost like a set piece, that was good insight and something that was probably missed. 

That's the role of a pundit, for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

100%

I know the newer breed of pundits are improving the... craft(?) but you only have to look at podcasts (not mine so yous can all FUCKRIGHTOFF) to see that there's an appetite for people talking about football after doing some actual research/homework. Football Ramble is good for this, right mix of insight and levity. They don't rely on conventional wisdom, and while I sometimes disagree with their conclusions, I can't fault their work. 

The Ramble is great, also appreciate how they've mixed it up. I love Italian football so on the continent is always fun. 

You're completely right. I'd rather watch Tifo football youtube for a 15 minute breakdown on something than watch Robbie Savage, Chris Sutton or Alex Scott repeat things they read on a pub toilet wall. 

28 minutes ago, Gman said:

The Ramble is great, also appreciate how they've mixed it up. I love Italian football so on the continent is always fun. 

You're completely right. I'd rather watch Tifo football youtube for a 15 minute breakdown on something than watch Robbie Savage, Chris Sutton or Alex Scott repeat things they read on a pub toilet wall. 

And they (and shows like it) show you don't have to be antagonistic to get interaction from the audience. 

That said, I appreciate that my view of football and how it's reported might not be shared by the majority. talksport's entire model appears to be winding up fans and they're pretty successful. 606 have shifted that way more and more, so it must work for them too. I'm like you, I'd much prefer someone who's never played the game talking sense, instead of someone with years of experience playing football at an elite level talking shite.

35 minutes ago, The Fish said:

And they (and shows like it) show you don't have to be antagonistic to get interaction from the audience. 

That said, I appreciate that my view of football and how it's reported might not be shared by the majority. talksport's entire model appears to be winding up fans and they're pretty successful. 606 have shifted that way more and more, so it must work for them too. I'm like you, I'd much prefer someone who's never played the game talking sense, instead of someone with years of experience playing football at an elite level talking shite.

I listen to A LOT of talk sport and I don't know why I do it to myself. It's torturous a lot of the time, especially when Goldstein & Cundy do their argument bit, not actually stating the bleeding obvious. 

Hawksby & Jacobs are the polar opposite and I do like Max Rushden. Helps when he admitted that he now understands what Newcastle fans feel after watching us against Spurs earlier in the season. Barry Glendenning would be fab if he wasn't a Newcastle hating Mackem. 

56 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

EFL on Quest regularly has one of the lads from the NTT20 podcast on and he’s decent value. I appreciate I’m probably the only person that watches it though.

George Elek?

51 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Sacchi won 2 European cups with Milan and took Italy to a World Cup final and never kicked a ball in his life. I'd say he was more qualified than Robbie Savage to talk about football 

There are gobshites on here who can talk more insightfully about football than Robbie Savage.

Not you though.

• Haha 4

Too many ex-footballers,now pundits,believe they’re the stars of the show.They know best.Buffoons like Chapman on MOTD act so clueless,it has to be the way they’ve been told to act.’ You are the ex-footballer,I’ve never played the game,so what did happen’. What the new fashion is for ex-footballers to wear,he wears the week after.He looks a right prick when he wears those white soled shoes.Prick.

• Haha 2

On 22/01/2021 at 17:32, Kid Dynamite said:

We can't all be fortunate enough to run a podcast nee one listens to Dave. Be kind 

Yes, we can. That's the problem.

• Haha 2