England squad announced for friendly.

MattM4

here it is in full

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/4746224.stm

England squad for friendly against Uruguay at Anfield on Wednesday:

Goalkeepers: Robinson (Tottenham), Green (Norwich), James (Man City).

Defenders: Young (Charlton), Bridge (Chelsea), Terry (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Ferdinand (Man Utd), King (Tottenham), G Neville (Man Utd), Carragher (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Lampard (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Gerrard (Liverpool), J Cole (Chelsea), Jenas (Tottenham), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Carrick (Tottenham), Richardson (Man Utd).

Forwards: D Bent (Charlton), Rooney (Man Utd), Crouch (Liverpool), Defoe (Tottenham).

well good in a way that Parker isn't in there, will give him a well deserved rest.

I'm mystified pundits and commentators don't suggest him either - but it's not just us that see his ability.

A problem with his selection is that he reveals who "could" make the squad early, when he shouldn't. The reason is because he's analysed a limited bunch of players, instead of exploring more and keeping his options open - he even anounced his squad halfway during our match.

Then he likes to persist with what he has instead of experimenting, before he can be convinced who the best possible 23 are. What hasve Carrick and Jenas done to deserve selection ahead of Nolan/Barton/Parker etc.

I agree with Craig, one cant help but think if sven is mental when he picks people like richardson and carrick and crouch yet keeps on ignoring parker.

I really dont give england a chance at the world cup with him at the helm, he's daft to be honest

I agree with Craig, one cant help but think if sven is mental when he picks people like richardson and carrick and crouch yet keeps on ignoring parker.

I really dont give england a chance at the world cup with him at the helm, he's daft to be honest

100747[/snapback]

unless we put in 7 performances like against the Argies recently ... then it'll probably be the same old story. We'll get out of the group stages, and then be bullied about by a big nation, like Brazil in 2002 or Portugal in 2004. :D

100747[/snapback]

unless we put in 7 performances like against the Argies recently ... then it'll probably be the same old story. We'll get out of the group stages, and then be bullied about by a big nation, like Brazil in 2002 or Portugal in 2004. :D

100749[/snapback]

you have a great team, capable of winning the world cup but not under sven and not with beckham as captain. Both of them are extremely

overrated

100747[/snapback]

100749[/snapback]

you have a great team, capable of winning the world cup but not under sven and not with beckham as captain. Both of them are extremely

overrated

100751[/snapback]

Bollicks, who exactly would you replace beckham with? SWP? He is a fast runner... gets past a defender and crosses it along the floor into the side netting. On the other hand beckham is one of the worlds best passers.

As for sven, he should be shot.

100747[/snapback]

unless we put in 7 performances like against the Argies recently ... then it'll probably be the same old story. We'll get out of the group stages, and then be bullied about by a big nation, like Brazil in 2002 or Portugal in 2004. :yes

100749[/snapback]

overrated

100751[/snapback]

Beckham is quality. He gets excessive press coverage cos he happens to be a good looking lad ( :D ) but he's not overrated. He's a top top player.

I'm mystified pundits and commentators don't suggest him either - but it's not just us that see his ability.

A problem with his selection is that he reveals who "could" make the squad early, when he shouldn't. The reason is because he's analysed a limited bunch of players, instead of exploring more and keeping his options open - he even anounced his squad halfway during our match.

Then he likes to persist with what he has instead of experimenting, before he can be convinced who the best possible 23 are. What hasve Carrick and Jenas done to deserve selection ahead of Nolan/Barton/Parker etc.

100743[/snapback]

They've signed for london-based clubs :D FACTORIFIC

Aye, but Jenas was in every squad when he was playing for us tbh!

100789[/snapback]

Sucked off Sven probably :yes:D

100790[/snapback]

Or he likes to ring him.........

100860[/snapback]

12-13 players in the squad (normal) are quality. Rest are average. Deffo cant afford any injuries in the summer.

Shows how much Eriksson knows. He was back talking about the need to play someone in a holding role in some matches and how he would be using Ferdinand and King to do that - why doesn't he just include someone like Parker?

Shows how much Eriksson knows. He was back talking about the need to play someone in a holding role in some matches and how he would be using Ferdinand and King to do that - why doesn't he just include someone like Parker?

100908[/snapback]

The funnier thing there is that he said Lampard and Gerrard could but don't for their clubs. I must be a little confused then because I thought King and Ferdinand normally play as centre-backs for their clubs. With Parker at least he has someone who plays there week in week out, and much better than they do when they have.

Tbh I've got the stage where I don't care about our national side anymore, well while Sven's in charge anyway. Gerrard an Lampard clearly can't play in the same team which opens the door for a defensive midfielder, but still he'd rather play King out of position rather than the most consistant defensive midfielder in the country, Parker.

100747[/snapback]

unless we put in 7 performances like against the Argies recently ... then it'll probably be the same old story. We'll get out of the group stages, and then be bullied about by a big nation, like Brazil in 2002 or Portugal in 2004. :jerkit:

100749[/snapback]

overrated

100751[/snapback]

Beckham is quality. He gets excessive press coverage cos he happens to be a good looking lad ( :lol: ) but he's not overrated. He's a top top player.

100764[/snapback]

I disagree. Beckham is a very incomplete player. He cannot tackle, he cannot head, he doesn't have pace, he hardly shoots well from open play, he is a poor finisher and he often lets you down in big games. Saying that he is probably the best passer and set piece taker in the game today. That aspect of his game makes him a very good player, but not a top top player. Top top players are people like ronaldinho, henry, gerrard who can turn it on when it is needed and who dont have to wait for the game to be set up to their liking.

I never said beckham is a bad player, he is easily good enough to be in the england team. But not as captain. Tell me how many people seriously think beckham is a better captain than the likes of terry and gerrard??

Tbh I've got the stage where I don't care about our national side anymore, well while Sven's in charge anyway. Gerrard an Lampard clearly can't play in the same team which opens the door for a defensive midfielder, but still he'd rather play King out of position rather than the most consistant defensive midfielder in the country, Parker.

101019[/snapback]

makelele might have something to say about that

or did you mean english defensive midfielder?

101019[/snapback]

101030[/snapback]

Yeah, sorry should have said English in the post.

Beckham should easily remain right-winger IMO. Wright-Phillips is an exciting young prospect (if you call him that - he's 24 I think), but I feel he is more suited to be a forward, with his pace. He's normally unconvincing for England - sprinting up and down the right-wing, but he's more likely to win us corners than bang in a great cross like Beckham can.

Edited by TheInspiration

101019[/snapback]

101030[/snapback]

Yeah, sorry should have said English in the post.

101032[/snapback]

It's still Carrick. Much as I love Parker (in a non-gay way), Carrick is having a quality season, and fully deserves the place in the squad.

We should have bought him (if we ever really had the chance)

I disagree. Beckham is a very incomplete player. He cannot tackle, he cannot head, he doesn't have pace, he hardly shoots well from open play, he is a poor finisher and he often lets you down in big games. Saying that he is probably the best passer and set piece taker in the game today. That aspect of his game makes him a very good player, but not a top top player. Top top players are people like ronaldinho, henry, gerrard who can turn it on when it is needed and who dont have to wait for the game to be set up to their liking.

I never said beckham is a bad player, he is easily good enough to be in the england team. But not as captain. Tell me how many people seriously think beckham is a better captain than the likes of terry and gerrard??

101027[/snapback]

He's their best player in that position, by quite a bit. I agree he's not a good captain, though I'd be interested to see him as captain under a manager other than the pandering cock, Sven.

Lazy squad imo. But then again, he's going and the World Cup is just round the corner. He may as well stick with who he knows and try to build on it. If this wasn't a tournament year then I reckon Parker, Barton and Nolan would be in a friendly squad like this...but this isn't really a friendly, it's supposed to be a World Cup warm up game.

101027[/snapback]

He's their best player in that position, by quite a bit. I agree he's not a good captain, though I'd be interested to see him as captain under a manager other than the pandering cock, Sven.

101226[/snapback]

He is, im not saying he shouldn't be in the team. I just think he's not captain material, under whatever manager. He just isn't nearly as involved in a game that people like terry and gerrard are, or even lampard.