Next Seasons Formation

Barney

Souness came out quite recently and said something along the lines of "I'm a 4-4-2 man. Always have been, always will be."

Now I've no problem with people changing their minds/learning new things, but I wonder if 4-5-1 (lets be honest here, that's what we're really playing) is the right direction for the club?

This whole "I'm the most attack-minded manager this club has ever seen" stuff is far from the truth. I know for the 4-5-1/4-3-3 to work properly, the wingers have to work their arses off and be up and down the flanks all day. I think that Souey is asking the wingers to be a little more selective about going forward in our current system though.

Is this attempt at 4-5-1 just a case of ' keeping up with the Jones' ' (read : Chelsea)?

What would you lot consider our best formation for the coming season? For this instance, we'll pretend that Anelka, Coco and Luis Boa Morte will be at the club.

4-5-1 / 4-3-3

Chelsea, Man Yoo and Everton are using this formation currently, all with varying degrees of success. Chelsea won the leage with it. To be fair though, with their squad of players, they don't really need formations/tactics. It also helps they have one of the best managers going. This looks like Souness' preferred formation for the coming season.

--------------Given---------------

Carr-Bramble-Boumsong-Coco

----Jenas---Parker---Emre-----

Dyer-------------------Boa Morte

------------Anelka---------------

replace Jenas for Bowyer should Arsenal/Spurs sign him.

4-4-2

Old faithful. Other formations come and go. Like flared jeans/Hear-Say, these formations are nothing more than flavours of the month (Venables Christmas tree, Hoddle's 3-5-2). It's balanced, and is the best formation to make the most of Shearer's still considerable talents.

--------------Given---------------

Carr-Bramble-Boumsong-Coco

Dyer--Parker--Emre--Boa Morte

--------Anelka--Shearer---------

Opinions?

Edited by Barney

4-5-1 works when you have midfielders who score goals for fun (Lampard, Cahill) plus a loan speedy centre forward (Bent, Drogba). We have neither, which is why it doesn't really work.

Well actually, maybe if Milner played loan forward and Parker and Dyer discovered their scoring touch it could?

I'd like to say though, your 4-4-2 looks a canny useful side imo. Very positive team, with Parker being a box to box man and pulling the strings. Me likes.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of that 4-4-2. I think Shearer plays best along-side a pacy forward, and would love to see Anelka/Owen here.

The midfiled there looks very strong though. With Milner and N'Zogbia as cover on the flanks, and Bowyer and Faye as central cover(should JJ & Viana move on).

The depth in the squad is pittiful though, our reserve 4-4-2 would look like this....

-------------Harper-------------

Ramage-Taylor-Moore-Babayaro

Milner--Bowyer--Faye--N'Zogbia

------Chopra-----Ameobi---------

The above team would struggle in the Chamionship in my opinion.

Everbody knows fine well he is a 4-4-2 manager and through his idiocy and childish tantrums has left himself with a squad that is so small and unbalanced he's trying these other formations he doesn't understand to hide how much he's fucked up.

What will happen is the same as lasts eason when he pissed about we'll be lacking in width but playing the likes of Shearer and Shola who need width in their team. We'll see the fullbacks exposed as people attack us because the coaches/manager haven't organised it properly and we'll see the quality midfielders like Emre and Parker looking for options and finding none.

Souness is tactically inept when using what he is comfortable with, when using soemthign new he'll be cluesless.