Management Appointment

Martin

I would presume that managers in the Premiership are now begining to reflect on the season so far, they have had time to assess their performance and personel (including their January buys), and would pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of their squads.

They would probably now have their scouts starting to identify potential targets for the next campaign.

With our situation of having no manager, doesn't this proclude us from being able to do this?

Don't we need someone in, sooner rather than later, so that he can decide how he wants to play with the people he will have and target the players he will need?

Leaving the appointment till the summer would be a big mistake IMO. everything being crammed into a busy "closed season".

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No specific instructions though, seems like a bit of a waste of resources and time.

We need a rudder in to give us the direction the club will go in for the near future. Too much to do in the closed season, especially with the World Cup on.

No specific instructions though, seems like a bit of a waste of resources and time.

We need a rudder in to give us the direction the club will go in for the near future. Too much to do in the closed season, especially with the World Cup on.

101039[/snapback]

No transfer deals are likely to be done after the world cup, anyway how do you know the next manager doesn't know who he wants to take to his next club with him?

I would presume that managers in the Premiership are now begining to reflect on the season so far, they have had time to assess their performance and personel (including their January buys), and would pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of their squads.

They would probably now have their scouts starting to identify potential targets for the next campaign.

With our situation of having no manager, doesn't this proclude us from being able to do this?

Don't we need someone in, sooner rather than later, so that he can decide how he wants to play with the people he will have and target the players he will need?

Leaving the appointment till the summer would be a big mistake IMO. everything being crammed into a busy "closed season".

101015[/snapback]

Irrelevant

101015[/snapback]

Irrelevant

101044[/snapback]

Make the noobs feel welcome why don't ya LM? :lol:

Martin's put forward a decent discussion which, whether you agree with him or not, deserves a better response than 'irrelevant'...

I think even if a manager was appointed tomorrow he'd approach it in the same way - you have a list of "would be good" and then also an attitude of who comes up in the summer.

I don't think its as "fatal" as you make out.

It didn't do Liverpool & Benitez any harm not being appointed until the summer did it?

101092[/snapback]

Didn't it? He struggled with the demands of Premiership football in his first season, only excelling in Europe, which he knew well.

A couple of things are raised out of this question:

1. What does it matter when the next manager is appointed between now and the summer? We would hope that whoever is appointed, whether they are currently employed in the game or inbetween positions such as MON and OH, would still be actively watching and noting players that they would like to work with.

Yes our scouts should still be actively looking at players but at this moment they should be scouting for players like Charlie instead of name players.

2. The World Cup is somewhere where our scouts/manager/chairman shouldn't be looking for players. Every four years we see players who have an amazing tournament transfer for ridiculous fees all on the back of 4 weeks of football. The Senegales to pool, Sparrowhawk to us, Brazilians to poo, etc.

There is a pattern here of brilliant African and South American players performing at the finals and then transfering to Europe only to fail or at least not consistantly perform as they had previously. Why?

Climate. A competition in summer, even a mild summer, is no reflection of how a player will perform in the rain, with the north wind blowing around their ears.

All in all we would hope that whether the next manager is announced tomorrow or the week after the end of the season, that the fat man will have them secured well before the necessary time and there is no doubt they will have their eyes open and ready to the possibilities out there.

101015[/snapback]

Irrelevant

101044[/snapback]

Martin's put forward a decent discussion which, whether you agree with him or not, deserves a better response than 'irrelevant'...

101060[/snapback]

Fair enough - didn't mean to be so harsh Martin sorry for that - I just mean I think the only important thing is making a good appointment mate and if it means waiting, then wait is what we should do.

It comes up when people go on about the timing of the sackings of Dalglish and Robson, but don't mention the sacking of Gullit too often and the reason for that is

the right guy replaced him. I think its a largely impossible job sometimes to get the timing of the sacking right, you just can't tell when things are going to turn for the worst, but one thing you can get right is choosing the replacement with care, either by looking at his CV or a good potential up and coming boss [which Shepherd has done 3 times] or getting it hopelessy wrong for the wrong reasons [ Souness]

It didn't do Liverpool & Benitez any harm not being appointed until the summer did it?

101092[/snapback]

Didn't it? He struggled with the demands of Premiership football in his first season, only excelling in Europe, which he knew well.

101101[/snapback]

Surely you would accept the sort of league struggle and European campain Benitez managed last season?

If the best man for the job isn't available till the summer then so be it, we wait.

101152[/snapback]

agreed - far more worried about rushing out and getting another GS - lets wait abnd see who is available after the World Cup

101092[/snapback]

101101[/snapback]

Surely you would accept the sort of league struggle and European campain Benitez managed last season?

101165[/snapback]

Yes but we're not gonna be in the Champions League

101015[/snapback]

Irrelevant

101044[/snapback]

101060[/snapback]

Fair enough - didn't mean to be so harsh Martin sorry for that - I just mean I think the only important thing is making a good appointment mate and if it means waiting, then wait is what we should do.

It comes up when people go on about the timing of the sackings of Dalglish and Robson, but don't mention the sacking of Gullit too often and the reason for that is

the right guy replaced him. I think its a largely impossible job sometimes to get the timing of the sacking right, you just can't tell when things are going to turn for the worst, but one thing you can get right is choosing the replacement with care, either by looking at his CV or a good potential up and coming boss [which Shepherd has done 3 times] or getting it hopelessy wrong for the wrong reasons [ Souness]

101151[/snapback]

I take your point about it being most important to get the right manager rather than worry about timing, but I would say that the timing of all the managerial changes under Shepherd have been questionable, especially with reference to how much money he let them spend before sacking them:

Dalglish and Robson were sacked too soon into the season. 2 and 4 games respectively ffs!

Gullit deserved to go sooner imo.

Souness was given far, far, too long.

101092[/snapback]

101101[/snapback]

101165[/snapback]

As Jonny points out, we're not going to be in Europe. We need the manager to be able to take the bull by the horns immediately and haul us back there.

We don't want another short term appointment if we can help it. Ideally we need someone who won't be out of their depth if/when we get back into Europe as well as being able to provide the consistency needed in the league.

If the best man for the job isn't available till the summer then so be it, we wait.

101152[/snapback]

agreed - far more worried about rushing out and getting another GS - lets wait abnd see who is available after the World Cup

101237[/snapback]

I am with you both on this subject, no need to panic and get a manager in staight away, Roeder is doing a fine job as stand in coach, if the right mans not available until after the world cup then thats when we should approach him.

Might as well put my two pennorth in regarding speculation. Mate who sits near me plays golf regularily with 2 of our players and is very good mates with them. Chatting to him about the managerial situation and asked him if he had heard anything from his "contacts" and his reply was "the Swede"

Personally, I bloody well hope not but who knows :lol:

Might as well put my two pennorth in regarding speculation. Mate who sits near me plays golf regularily with 2 of our players and is very good mates with them. Chatting to him about the managerial situation and asked him if he had heard anything from his "contacts" and his reply was "the Swede"

Personally, I bloody well hope not but who knows :lol:

101322[/snapback]

I'd be happy if that was the case but I severly doubt it.

Personally, I bloody well hope not but who knows :jerkit:

101322[/snapback]

I'd be happy if that was the case but I severly doubt it.

101327[/snapback]

It might mean the difference between Owen staying or going.

As a national team manager, from an outsider's perspective he is doing ok but his record at club level was very good, so maybe people need to rate him based on that.

I'd be worried about him and Dyer being out on the town together. :lol: