Larry Roberts

Guest CrimsonFault

Guest CrimsonFault

Scored a peach of a freekick against Porto tonight (I think it was tonight) in their 1-0 win.

Someone hoy up a link to the goal man!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

massive shame that he couldn't find consistency, had the vision and talent to be an exceptional footballer.

will always have a soft spot for the lad, he scored some belting goals and no matter what anyone says about his work ethic, he did provide more goals and assists than any other left winger at Newcastle in the last 15 years or so.

the two against Tottenham will live long in my memory.

massive shame that he couldn't find consistency, had the vision and talent to be an exceptional footballer.

will always have a soft spot for the lad, he scored some belting goals and no matter what anyone says about his work ethic, he did provide more goals and assists than any other left winger at Newcastle in the last 15 years or so.

101123[/snapback]

If Charlie keeps up his current form I can see him eclipsing Larry's stats very quickly.

I was a huge fan of LR but no-one can argue how refreshing it is to see young N'Zogbia carving up the opposition.

Charlie's enthusiasm and work rate is so impressive, especially for the fact he is still only a young lad and the first goal on Saturday is the perfect example of what we need from all our players.

101123[/snapback]

The contradiction in the two bits in bold made me laugh, thanks like.

BTW You need to go back a damn sight further than 15 years. You may be going back as far as the 50's to find a player who contributed more. But what the hell, he couldn't tackle like Dave Mackay so he's obviously shite.

The Benfica fans might forgive him for his lazy anonymous displays since he's been there and stop booing him now then. Because, after all, the fact he can take free kicks means the other 10 should carry him for 90 minutes. Shame on them. :lol:

Gemmil liked Souness, Souness screwed up and dragged the club into mediochrity

I liked Robert, Robert provided width, penetration, goals and assists.

Gemmil is a rubbish judge of character and I'm a Soopafan. Fact.

(and HTL, the bits in bold are still true, so imagine what he could have done if he had found consistency..... maybe... just maybe... he could have convinced these neanderthal fans that it's not all about the dour drudgery that they apparently vaunt. :lol: )

Personally I think N'Zogbia and Robert are completely different types of players. Not complaing about N'Zogbia, he has come on leaps and bounds, but it isn't a valid comparison and I will personally be delighted if he can get close to Robert in terms of goals and assists.

All this Robert is lazy stuff is so fucking lazy though! Sick and tired of hearing the same old tired cliche which as HTL makes no sense at all if you think about it.

I would have thought comparing one left-winger to another was pretty valid.

101195[/snapback]

Would you compare Shearer with Bellamy?

And how do you want to measure the comparison - goals created and scored a valid measure do you think? Or energy expired.

Once again I'm not knocking N'Zogbia because I think he is massively improving, but I'm not going to use him to downgrade Robert either.

101195[/snapback]

And how do you want to measure the comparison - goals created and scored a valid measure do you think? Or energy expired.

Once again I'm not knocking N'Zogbia because I think he is massively improving, but I'm not going to use him to downgrade Robert either.

101198[/snapback]

Well, you could but the comparison wouldn't be as valid seeing as they don't play in the exact same position (or they didn't at Newcastle) unlike Robert and N'Zogbia. Like I said comparing the latter two is valid imo.

101195[/snapback]

101198[/snapback]

Well, you could but the comparison wouldn't be as valid seeing as they don't play in the exact same position (or they didn't at Newcastle) unlike Robert and N'Zogbia. Like I said comparing the latter two is valid imo.

101200[/snapback]

So if we compare goals scored and assisted in a couple of years that's valid is it? I think they have very different qualities personally which won't necessarily reflect well on N'Zogbia using stats alone.

All this Robert is lazy stuff is so fucking lazy though! Sick and tired of hearing the same old tired cliche which as HTL makes no sense at all if you think about it.

101193[/snapback]

Renton, I've learnt to love you in a non-gay way, but his lack of effort was the main reason he had to go. He'd proved he was an excellent player, which is why personally I got so pissed off with his lack of effort. He believed his own hype. Wasted talent imo, but he's only got himself to blame (despite the fact he likes blaming everyone else).

To say you it's not valid to compare two left-wingers because they may have some different attributes is bollocks though Renton. By mentioning the fact they have different qualities you already are comparing them.

101193[/snapback]

Renton, I've learnt to love you in a non-gay way, but his lack of effort was the main reason he had to go. He'd proved he was an excellent player, which is why personally I got so pissed off with his lack of effort. He believed his own hype. Wasted talent imo, but he's only got himself to blame (despite the fact he likes blaming everyone else).

101206[/snapback]

SLP, I really struggle with this concept. Contrary to popular belief, I'm not a fan of Robert per se, but I defend him because I think was productive in the areas that matter (scoring and assisting) and he was unfairly victimised by Souness and the fans.

Now, when people say he was lazy, what do they mean? Are they actually saying he thought to himself "I can't be arsed to run for that ball because it'll make me tired"? I'm sorry, but I just find that preposterous. If they are saying he didn't track back or tackle, then I'd say fair enough, that's true, but imo that wasn't his game. Whether that was because he was cowardly or because he was not competent to do it, I don't know (I think the latter personally), but I'm pretty sure it wasn't because he was lazy.

Robert suffered towards the end of his career no doubt and his performances significantly deteriorated. However, if we are honest the same can be said of virtually all our players under Souness. Now Souness and Robert have gone I'm happy for us to move on and I sincerely hope N'Zogbia will fill the gap left by Robert, because if he does he is doing extreemely well. For the record I think he will and he can contribute in ways Robert didn't, but its still not guaranteed.