Glenn Roeder

Tom

A great servant to the club as a player, a captain and a manager. He also worked with the academy for a good few years. 

Although I am too young to have seen him play that European push was absolutely class & I’ve always thought highly of him. 

Rest in peace.

• Like 4

was involved in many roles for us, player, captain, coach .manager and always came across as a genuine decent guy.

even signed a shirt for me back in the day.

RIP Glenn.

Very sad news. He was an honest, decent and likeable bloke - quite the contrast with the fraud in charge now.

By all accounts he was an excellent technical football coach and highly rated when he worked as part of the England set up under Hoddle

I remember feeling underwhelmed when he was appointed Newcastle manager - felt like another one of a series of poor decisions by Shepherd, which started when he sacked SBR - but it was actually a relatively enjoyable 18 months or so. A 7th place finish and a uefa cup run feels a long way away from where we are now. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Understood the club he served and realised it's potential, was a good footballing defender in an era where this wasn't necessarily a plus with everyone, his shuffle was loved by the crowd, was a good captain, a good care taker manager and decent manager showing up Souness for what he was. The players who were around and did good jobs when you were a bairn and teenager and you have a love of the game tend to be favourites and Glenn and the likes of Wharton, Anderson, Davey Mac, Peter Jackson etc will always be heroes to me despite not being as genuinely talented as the likes of Waddle, Beardsley, Gazza, and Keegan. Football was also a more enjoyable experience, a bit more rough and ready, worse conditions but hammers the way it's went now. Probably a getting old thing as well, no doubt but the likes of all seater stadiums, season ticket culture, sky et al took something away from the game very much including a certain demographic of fan who were discarded without any actual fucks being given as greed took a bigger hold in the game. Roeder was one of the good lads and a true NUFC legend for his part in my formative football years. He's obviously had serious medical issues for a few years so hope he's at rest now. RIP, Glenn.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

Understood the club he served and realised it's potential, was a good footballing defender in an era where this wasn't necessarily a plus with everyone, his shuffle was loved by the crowd, was a good captain, a good care taker manager and decent manager showing up Souness for what he was. The players who were around and did good jobs when you were a bairn and teenager and you have a love of the game tend to be favourites and Glenn and the likes of Wharton, Anderson, Davey Mac, Peter Jackson etc will always be heroes to me despite not being as genuinely talented as the likes of Waddle, Beardsley, Gazza, and Keegan. Football was also a more enjoyable experience, a bit more rough and ready, worse conditions but hammers the way it's went now. Probably a getting old thing as well, no doubt but the likes of all seater stadiums, season ticket culture, sky et al took something away from the game very much including a certain demographic of fan who were discarded without any actual fucks being given as greed took a bigger hold in the game. Roeder was one of the good lads and a true NUFC legend for his part in my formative football years. He's obviously had serious medical issues for a few years so hope he's at rest now. RIP, Glenn.

Well said, mate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i remember him scoring an absolute screamer of a diving header in front of the Gallowgate

I think it was against Arsenal  but my memory is pretty vague, but he went beserk after it, it's one of my favourite memories from the time

I;m with HMHM he will always be a legend for me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

<applause> 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

That’s a great post. You could write a book about it. That was poetic 

• Thanks 1

On 01/03/2021 at 14:44, Howmanheyman said:

all of this, spot on,  loved that era and travelling all over the place to games , standing up in grounds and idolising these players. davey mac, wharton, peter jackson, beardsley and of course Glenn Roeder top man.

• Like 3