Euro 2020/1

Meenzer

While it obviously worked I just don’t understand starting Saka. We clearly have better players available to play that position (including one that came on and helped create both goals). I think the bloke is talented but it’s just weird picking a player that clearly isn’t as good as the other options, especially when it’s not like he’s incredibly quick when compared to Sancho or anything like that. 

Good result, Kalvin Phillips is shite but Rice had a good game. The Germans were poor, I will say the way Southgate sets us up clearly makes us very hard to beat but the worry is if we can score which is mental considering the talent we have in attacking positions. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

While it obviously worked I just don’t understand starting Saka. We clearly have better players available to play that position (including one that came on and helped create both goals). I think the bloke is talented but it’s just weird picking a player that clearly isn’t as good as the other options, especially when it’s not like he’s incredibly quick when compared to Sancho or anything like that. 

Good result, Kalvin Phillips is shite but Rice had a good game. The Germans were poor, I will say the way Southgate sets us up clearly makes us very hard to beat but the worry is if we can score which is mental considering the talent we have in attacking positions. 

Our performance was far too lethargic. No pace, no movement, no pressing, no ideas. You were allowed far too much time on the ball and did rarely got challenged.

You did what you had to do and could bring the necessary spark to your game with Grealish and getting the crowd excited.

As for the T-Rex, he didn’t really tested, did he. Apart from Werner stupidly trying to put the ball through the legs of the keeper.

• Like 1

:lol: It was a competent performance against a bang average side. I don’t mind seeing England doing well but it’s the media making out like there were 11 heroes out there and you lot being taken in by it that’s bewildering.

• Thanks 1

I don't mind most the individuals in this side, Pickford and Stirling aside, but I can't bring myself to support England after being amongst their fans at matches, Turkey at SoL being particularly horrific. Then there's the media hype which is hard to contend with. Plus I had Germany in a sweepstake.

It does seem to be their year though. Put in a relatively easy group, all matches at home. Put in by far the easier half of the draw. Face the worst German side in decades, at home. Away at Rome to face either Sweden or Ukraine :lol:. Then at home against no entity opposition in the semis, then the final at home again. The final might be canny like. 

• Like 1

Fuck me, as someone old enough to remember Euro 96 that was a bit special. Ghosts of the past firmly laid to rest.

Can't fucking wait for pints and another game on Saturday!

Maybe I was being harsh like. He's got an arse like Vurnon Anita though which can't be a good thing. But aye, i certainly don't dislike the team or manager, they seem grounded. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ewerk said:

:lol: It was a competent performance against a bang average side. I don’t mind seeing England doing well but it’s the media making out like there were 11 heroes out there and you lot being taken in by it that’s bewildering.

The unfortunate truth here, IMO (and doubtless an unpopular one tbh) is something I was thinking in the prematch build up. Germany are to England, what Newcastle are to Sunderland.

If we go out in the next round 7-0 it won't matter because we beat Germany. I daresay more people are excited about that fact alone, than the idea of progressing in the tournament.

4 hours ago, Alex said:

if England do win the tournament (don’t laugh) it would make a nice memory for my eldest, who’s football daft. Beyond that I would quite like to see them win tonight but I’m not too arsed either way. Not least because a massive section of the England fan base are absolute bellends 

The cunts who booed the German anthem. Absolutely embarrassing. 

That aside, a superb evening of football from England. Professional, controlled performance. Never doubted Southgate or Kane.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

What a pile of shite. You started with three attacking players, all of whom did next to fuck all positive (yes I know two of them scored) and Southgate did next to nothing. 

It’s ridiculous mismanagement of an incredibly talented attacking squad.

We just sent the Germans home. 

• Haha 2