Euro 2020/1

Meenzer

36 minutes ago, Renton said:

Genuinely curious how people think England will function in 40C plus heat of the world.cup? Ethically, they shouldn't even go.  I'd write off next year's world Cup.

This.time, I think England benefitted from home advantage and fortunate fixtures (really,  they beat nobody of note). Euro 2024l is in Germany. Other European sides might have got their act together by then. England might have missed their best ever chance. 

How do Norway or Italy or Germany play in 40 degrees? 

Everyone will play slower and there will be water breaks like wc94 in USA. Not a massive deal.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Personally I think it's hard to gauge the quality of England players at this level, bar a couple. For the same reason, difficult to judge Southgate, who managed a side who only conceded one goal from open play in this tournament, I'm not going to judge.  

Not that I give a shit, obviously. Spongebob's left.eye won the day, fair enough. 

Fair enough. For me I see a team in training wheels when they don’t need it. Some of the best chance creators in Europe in Grealish and Sancho barely see the pitch, even when we are screaming for technical players or goal threat. We played an Italian side who are technically sound, and comfortable in possession where I think the one avenue we could have really got at that was with pace, especially against their left back Emerson who is tragic tbh. Instead he did about as much as he could to remove pace from our side, even playing Walker at CB, Mount was another poor selection as he’s been poor all tournament and pace isn’t in his locker. 

What frustrates me with Southgate is all he does is look to not lose rather than ever look to win. His selections of players like Mount (supposedly tracks back more and is more solid defensively than players like Grealish and Foden), Phillips (basically a CB when compared to the vastly superior number 6 in Henderson), and for me glaringly Saka who is a player I rate but he’s just not in the same bracket as Grealish, Foden, Sancho, and Rashford currently but because he can play wing back Southgate knows he’s more defensive than the other options. The bloke has done a tremendous job in terms of man management, bringing a lot of these lads through and giving chances, but tactically he’s not up to this and it’s shone through in a lot of the games. Not that what I think matters as he’s been given a contract iirc but we won’t win with this bloke, he’s far too scared to allow talented players to perform their roles. He got it all wrong for me today, we barely touched the ball second half and as good as the Italians are their players absolutely aren’t that far ahead of ours that we should be having under 30% of the ball in what is basically a home fixture. We never caused them much worry, and when we have that much pace at our disposal against a team with so little pace that’s questionable especially when for a good 35 minutes Bonucci and Chiellini were sat on the half way line yet not once did Southgate think to make a change to pressure that. He’s an assistant manager imo. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

> with the T-Rex in net

I still maintain he was your player of the tournament but can't for the fucking life me work out what his strengths are.

That's not a dig either. Looks the most cohesive and settled England team I've ever seen and and even though a few of his decisions cost your that Southgate seems a great man-manager and motivator and probably deserves another crack at it. 

> Thought we were shit an played our worst game (maybe Scotland).

Hate to admit this as a Scot but a draw against Scotland basically assured youse were through before you even played the Czechs. Youse were never playing for the win and it was probably the sensible gameplan. 

Probably agree mate, but in a tournament you play to win every game as momentum is so important. 

Like I said Southgate needs to learn alongside the players

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Awful decision making by Southgate at the end, but that's patent bollocks. He led the team to the final and lost on penalties, better than every England manager since Ramsay. He's a decent, normal person in a world full of morons as you put it.

That said, maybe he needs to move on now. No way England can deal with the climate of Qatar. Mind, I guess the next Euros is only 3 years away, so maybe he should go on until then. 

We’ll definitely cope in indoor, air conditioned stadiums, like. Right as the European teams are fully fit leading into what would be the Xmas period. A European team will definitely win the 2022 World Cup.  

Genuinely preposterous how Saka was ahead of Grealish or Stones. I thought we had specific penalty coaches? If so, they need sacking. Surely Rashford and Sancho should have been one 5 minutes before, in an attempt to get them a few touches and into the speed of the game, at least? Instead of just letting them take a pen, cold, against a keeper who probably had them sussed

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Genuinely preposterous how Saka was ahead of Grealish or Stones. I thought we had specific penalty coaches? If so, they need sacking. Surely Rashford and Sancho should have been one 5 minutes before, in an attempt to get them a few touches and into the speed of the game, at least? Instead of just letting them take a pen, cold, against a keeper who probably had them sussed

Completely agree. Not giving Rashford and Sancho some time to touch the ball was a serious mistake. He also needed to do something to change the shape second half as we played too deep and let the Italians come at us. You could feel the goal was coming, and it was a relief when Chiesa went off.

I thought Italy deserved it by shading it as both the best team on the night and in the tournament. The disappointing thing was after England relinquished the initiative at the start of the second half, it took an Italian goal for Southgate to change things. The goal had been coming and it was crying out for a change for about 15 minutes. I thought the team did themselves proud though. Given their inexperience they could’ve been overwhelmed after conceding but they managed to get some control back and kept the ball well again. Just wasn’t to be. I hate penalties like but neither side really did enough to win during the match 

• Like 2

Aye, the changes needed to come earlier and  it wouldn’t have been Rice off if it was me. Still can’t get over the pens; a teenager taking the decider, two players who he obviously didn’t trust enough to play actual minutes before them. Anyway, my head is pounding, I’m going back to bed. Good result for the Scottish, mind

6 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Here man, you’re a terminal sad bastard. Can’t grief the mackem keeper so you blame the kid with the big nose because you assume he’s Jewish. Get a fucking grip, you sad old racist bag of shit

New depths lad,new depths.Switch off for a month and give yourself a shake.

7 hours ago, Howay said:

Fair enough. For me I see a team in training wheels when they don’t need it. Some of the best chance creators in Europe in Grealish and Sancho barely see the pitch, even when we are screaming for technical players or goal threat. We played an Italian side who are technically sound, and comfortable in possession where I think the one avenue we could have really got at that was with pace, especially against their left back Emerson who is tragic tbh. Instead he did about as much as he could to remove pace from our side, even playing Walker at CB, Mount was another poor selection as he’s been poor all tournament and pace isn’t in his locker. 

What frustrates me with Southgate is all he does is look to not lose rather than ever look to win. His selections of players like Mount (supposedly tracks back more and is more solid defensively than players like Grealish and Foden), Phillips (basically a CB when compared to the vastly superior number 6 in Henderson), and for me glaringly Saka who is a player I rate but he’s just not in the same bracket as Grealish, Foden, Sancho, and Rashford currently but because he can play wing back Southgate knows he’s more defensive than the other options. The bloke has done a tremendous job in terms of man management, bringing a lot of these lads through and giving chances, but tactically he’s not up to this and it’s shone through in a lot of the games. Not that what I think matters as he’s been given a contract iirc but we won’t win with this bloke, he’s far too scared to allow talented players to perform their roles. He got it all wrong for me today, we barely touched the ball second half and as good as the Italians are their players absolutely aren’t that far ahead of ours that we should be having under 30% of the ball in what is basically a home fixture. We never caused them much worry, and when we have that much pace at our disposal against a team with so little pace that’s questionable especially when for a good 35 minutes Bonucci and Chiellini were sat on the half way line yet not once did Southgate think to make a change to pressure that. He’s an assistant manager imo. 

Some decent points in the mix but that’s a harsh assessment of Southgate. He proved me wrong for most of the tournament. I would have liked us to play with more adventure with more of our attacking players starting games too. It came unstuck in the final against a good Italy side when we might have won if he’d been braver or made his subs earlier. He’s been a brilliant manager for England though. Yeah, he got lucky with the draw again but he followed up a World Cup semi final by taking us to a final without losing a game in normal time. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

4 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

New depths lad,new depths.Switch off for a month and give yourself a shake.

The fucking irony. You tragic little man :lol: 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Howay said:

I think that’s s bit harsh but I agree about the negativity in this particular game. We almost scored too early and with some other games, Scotland particularly, he seemed unwilling to change things in a situation Where it was obviously needed. I would say he needs to learn from that to get the most out if these players. 

It seemed like he didn’t believe that you were the best side in the tournament. Throughout you were set up not to lose.

Southgate seemed more concerned with stopping the opposition rather than having the confidence to go out and cause them problems.

It’s hard to knock him too much seeing as he got you to your first final in 55 years and you were never outclassed but it would have been nice to see you take the game to Italy and focus more on unnerving them with your attacking talent.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Rashford replaced Walker. Not sure playing a striker at RB for 10mins would have been a good idea. 

Their keeper is fucking massive. They were always going to have the advantage in a penalty shootout. We should have chucked our attackers on in extra time and gone for it. Sancho and Rashford hammering them down the wings.

We are all experts in hindsight anyway 

• Like 2