Euro 2020/1

Meenzer

12 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Tyrone Mings is a double good cunt and puts it far better than I ever could...

This is an astonishing political generation of sportsmen

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

This is an astonishing political generation of sportsmen

Can you imagine John Terry being captain of these lads? :glare:

I think we can judge how important this issue is for the very fuckers who actually wanted a culture war by their reaction to being 5 nil down v a bunch of kids from council estates in the actual culture war :lol:

The tabloids will have received their instructions by now though...unleash hell...again...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Can you imagine John Terry being captain of these lads? :glare:

I think we can judge how important this issue is for the very fuckers who actually wanted a culture war by their reaction to being 5 nil down v a bunch of kids from council estates in the actual culture war :lol:

The tabloids will have received their instructions by now though...unleash hell...again...

Yeah, they better watch out if they make even the tiniest indiscretion. Meanwhile the bloke running the country won’t even say how many kids he has (on top of everything else) 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Isn’t that why he’s unsure how many kids he has? 

:puke: what an image

i'm still feeling a bit flat after the england game 48 hours after the event. i can't remember the last time i was so affected by a newcastle result - goes to show the extent to which ashley has sucked the joy out of supporting the club

Watching England is probably my glimpse into the mind of a glory hunting fan of the usual suspects. It's nice when you're winning but lacks the intensity of a late winner for your club but on the bright side it's dead easy to brush off when England get beat helped, as Alex says, by a certain section of the England fan base as well as the tabloids.

• Like 3

I still don't really support England though I can get invested emotionally occasionally like in Italia 90 or this time around. 

I suppose I've always associated it with the negatives like Newcastle players being ignored in favour of the Geoff Thomas's of this world  and others just there because they play for London clubs as well as players I actively disliked like Rooney. That's before the No Surrender brigade are considered. 

I still think it doesn't compare with following NUFC (although I couldn't help thinking about this season and last under Bruce on Sunday night) - I remember having a conversation with someone at work after France 98 where they asked if "normal" football compared with watching England and I replied that she should think of how she felt watching the Argentina game and multiply that by 38 times a year - she asked how we could cope and I think my reply was "alcohol". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I've been thinking about this, and I honestly think I care more about watching England than Newcastle these days. And I say that as someone that won't bother with England outside of major tournaments and who sometimes finds out that England were even playing the day after the match took place, so I don't really give that much of a fuck about them.

But what is the actual point of Newcastle United these days? 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I've been thinking about this, and I honestly think I care more about watching England than Newcastle these days. And I say that as someone that won't bother with England outside of major tournaments and who sometimes finds out that England were even playing the day after the match took place, so I don't really give that much of a fuck about them.

But what is the actual point of Newcastle United these days? 

It’s a zombie club. Tragic really, what ashley has done 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, NJS said:

I still don't really support England though I can get invested emotionally occasionally like in Italia 90 or this time around. 

I suppose I've always associated it with the negatives like Newcastle players being ignored in favour of the Geoff Thomas's of this world  and others just there because they play for London clubs as well as players I actively disliked like Rooney. That's before the No Surrender brigade are considered. 

I still think it doesn't compare with following NUFC (although I couldn't help thinking about this season and last under Bruce on Sunday night) - I remember having a conversation with someone at work after France 98 where they asked if "normal" football compared with watching England and I replied that she should think of how she felt watching the Argentina game and multiply that by 38 times a year - she asked how we could cope and I think my reply was "alcohol". 

Totally. As Gemmill says, what's the point of Newcastle United these days? Well the point is, I still support them and at times apathy does kick in but they're still my club. I won't go anymore but I'll still watch them and will go back if he fucks off.  England could score a winner in the final and it wouldn't be in the top 100 moments I've went 'radge' at a goal being scored. I'd be happy, I'd shout get in etc but it can never compare because ultimately it's who I am and it's the people you share it with. England can never give me that and never will although they can usually give me a government I didn't vote for. Politics and football shouldn't really mix but it just does and always has. 

• Like 3

I think the Shaw goal was as excited as I’ve been for a goal in years tbh. I’ve always been a club before country type fan, but I did always watch England. 

I think it’s just that prior group of players was so immensely dislikable that it made it easy as fuck to shrug off their failures, Gerrard, Terry, Ferdinand, Owen, etc are just complete and utter insufferable up their own arse bellends who played international football purely for personal gain and let their club rivalry ruin what was on paper a good England side. In stark contrast it’s clear the current lot care, and they also seem a lot more conscious of their positions in society and the weight their word can carry when they speak up on behalf of people, so this one hurt and for me it still does. I think what makes it even harder is knowing in five or so weeks I have to also go back to watching Brucey and the boys, as much as I’ve criticized Southgate I like the bloke tbh I just want him to grow, I thoroughly dislike Bruce as a person and as a manager. I’d say somewhat similar to Gemmill I’ve almost switched to enjoying watching England more. Of course sections of the fan base are outright embarrassing fuckwits which can at times make it tough, and the bandwagon jumpers tend to be the brexit rugby crew in their relaxed fit jeans and Clarkson haircuts, but I honestly try to block all that out and just enjoy football for a change since Ashley and the Premier League as a whole has done about as much as they possibly can in 12 year to ruin it. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Totally. As Gemmill says, what's the point of Newcastle United these days? Well the point is, I still support them and at times apathy does kick in but they're still my club. I won't go anymore but I'll still watch them and will go back if he fucks off.  England could score a winner in the final and it wouldn't be in the top 100 moments I've went 'radge' at a goal being scored. I'd be happy, I'd shout get in etc but it can never compare because ultimately it's who I am and it's the people you share it with. England can never give me that and never will although they can usually give me a government I didn't vote for. Politics and football shouldn't really mix but it just does and always has. 

it's still newcastle first for me too, but can you remember the last time a newcastle result really hurt? a bad result in a big game used to linger at the back of my mind for days after the match. these days, it's met with a shrug of the shoulders 

• Like 3

I'm not as bad watching Newcastle as I used to be - I've been going out with my lass for five years and I've told her that even the dark side she sees now when I watch a game when she's there is nothing compared to the old me which I think in a way is healthier mentally but I still yearn like fuck for the days when it was a matter of life and death and I was frankly mental about it :)

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's still newcastle first for me too, but can you remember the last time a newcastle result really hurt? a bad result in a big game used to linger at the back of my mind for days after the match. these days, it's met with a shrug of the shoulders 

Pardew’s tenure was really big for me in that respect, I remember before him a 3-0 or 4-0 loss felt like a complete fucking hammering, I would be absolutely gutted and embarrassed we got smacked like that, but he seemed to lose matches by those score lines or worse regularly enough that they started to feel like a 2-0 or narrow loss. We’ve had some right plums as manager under Ashley mind :lol: 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Howay said:

Pardew’s tenure was really big for me in that respect, I remember before him a 3-0 or 4-0 loss felt like a complete fucking hammering, I would be absolutely gutted and embarrassed we got smacked like that, but he seemed to lose matches by those score lines or worse regularly enough that they started to feel like a 2-0 or narrow loss. We’ve had some right plums as manager under Ashley mind :lol: 

i remember feeling physically sick when man u spanked us in the charity shield. these days, it's just meh - oh look another hammering, fanks brucey

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i remember feeling physically sick when man u spanked us in the charity shield. these days, it's just meh - oh look another hammering, fanks brucey

That moment when we came out of Wembley after that match and the heavens opened is one of the darkest moments of my life - I even entertained for a moment the idea that there was a god and he was a cunt who hated us. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

That moment when we came out of Wembley after that match and the heavens opened is one of the darkest moments of my life - I even entertained for a moment the idea that there was a god and he was a cunt who hated us. 

image.png.63b818c0480990eaebb558a26d4145d7.png

Apathy can't help but kick in under Ashley and I try to shrug off defeats now probably better than I used to but it's still my team and pisses me off like England couldn't after a defeat. I will say, I far prefer watching international tournaments than the premier League by a mile. I just don't get emotionally invested in it, the Italy Belgium game was a joy to watch as was the Italy Spain game.

• Like 1

I think to support the national side you need as a minimum to have some sense of national identity to the country you're supporting. I once had that, I don't have it at all now. The current England team and manager are a credit to the nation in all fairness. The fans, and not just this tiny minority people claim, are a fucking disgrace. Watching it on telly is therefore one thing but the reality in the stadium is different. Other can reconcile that perhaps but I can't. Also easy to not support them because they always ultimately disappoint. 

NUFC I do have a shared identity with and always will. At the moment, losses don't hurt and victories don't bring joy. But that could change. I prefer to think of the club as dormant rather than dead. But either way, its true to say fottball doesn't play a big part in my life at the moment. 

• Like 7