Euro 2020/1

Meenzer

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

That's like being angry at buses because the driver's a cunt.

5 hours ago, ewerk said:

In a nutshell:

Government stop funding free licences for over 75's

BBC have to start charging over 75's for their licence

Government attack BBC for charging over 75's for their licence

You Got Played GIFs | Tenor

I don’t like the BBC. And it isn’t simply the over 75s licensing disgrace. I can’t be arsed to write an essay. If you lads are happy to suck at the teat of a state TV propaganda (lite) machine fill your boots.

Oh aye and lob a few more quid into the pockets of their shockingly overpaid presenters, on you go.

Pardon me for deviating from the Toontastic BBC lovefest.

38 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Pardon me for deviating from the Toontastic BBC lovefest.

just interrupting  for a second here mate, because I've not long been here meself. I've not really noticed whether there's a bbc love in goes on in here or not, but please don't include me in it.

I think the bbc are cunts. right up there with mike ashley in fact!   :)

• Thanks 1

Baffling

“bbc are twats”

“It’s not the bbcs fault it’s the governments. They made them fuck old age pensioners up the arse”

“Well here’s an article in a fairly independent newspaper with the actual Director General defending their decision to shaft old age pensioners up the arse, a decision taken by the bloke who was his predecessor (a crossbencher btw), along with the rest of the Board.”

“Yeah but he’s a Tory!”

“Well aye but he is the Director General of the bbc.”

“Haha you’ve defeated your own argument you sub human bbc hater”

Baffled.

Obviously I’m a thick cunt,

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dougle said:

Baffling

“bbc are twats”

“It’s not the bbcs fault it’s the governments. They made them fuck old age pensioners up the arse”

“Well here’s an article in a fairly independent newspaper with the actual Director General defending their decision to shaft old age pensioners up the arse, a decision taken by the bloke who was his predecessor (a crossbencher btw), along with the rest of the Board.”

“Yeah but he’s a Tory!”

Baffled.

Have to say that this broadly fits my worldview that the BBC are running scared of the Tories and that therefore they're a waste of an institution who don't properly and robustly challenge the constant shite that we're subjected to.

Why can't we hate both the BBC and the Tories?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dougle said:

Baffling

“bbc are twats”

“Yeah but he’s a Tory!”

Baffled.

The BBC gets loads of (fully justified imo) stick on here. But I do think the particular issue you referred to is a direct result of government policy. It also has next to fuck all to do with the piece Gloom posted.

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

Lol towards anyone that pays the TV license as well. Especially in the past couple of years when they haven’t been allowed to check the gaff due to COVID. The latest series of Line of Duty was so shite that I’m going to go another year without paying, I think

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

The right wing nuts say similar about the lefty bbc. What does that tell you? 🤔😉

I mean, I know.

Oddly enough I consider them to be as misinformed in this as I do in other areas. And also oddly enough, that comes down to their lack of evidence. They tend to get worked up about the BBC overrepresenting minorities (15% of employed individuals are BAME and yet only 14.9% of the country is BAME, which is of course a scandal) whereas I tend to get worked up about different things, such as the accuracy or their reporting and general lack of balance.

The main reason I say any of this though is that you'd be hard pushed to find many people on here who thought the BBC was a stellar institution. Except Gloom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The BBC are a stress ball for every fucker with a grievance.  Theyre literally a displaced person in the culture war, stuck in the middle without a clue what to do. Its £13.25 a month for the license, more than double the cheapest  Netflix sub.  Regardless of whether anyone thinks they're a good or bad thing in their current form they're fucked. Unless Labour & Lib Dems get a non aggression pact sorted for the next GE they'll just be another subscription service very soon..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

I mean, I know.

Oddly enough I consider them to be as misinformed in this as I do in other areas. And also oddly enough, that comes down to their lack of evidence. They tend to get worked up about the BBC overrepresenting minorities (15% of employed individuals are BAME and yet only 14.9% of the country is BAME, which is of course a scandal) whereas I tend to get worked up about different things, such as the accuracy or their reporting and general lack of balance.

The main reason I say any of this though is that you'd be hard pushed to find many people on here who thought the BBC was a stellar institution. Except Gloom.

The BBC isn’t above criticism but there is a reason it is one of the most respected media organisations in the world. We will miss it when it’s gone. 

• Like 2

We won't. They commission everything, sub it all out to production companies.  No one gets their training there anymore. Sky & CNN do similar news. Attenborough is half deed. Lineker is useful every other year for a month, the rest of their live sport will go to the mouse, Bezos or apple regardless of whether they survive :cuppa:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The BBC isn’t above criticism but there is a reason it is one of the most respected media organisations in the world. We will miss it when it’s gone. 

I miss it. It went years ago

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

We won't. They commission everything, sub it all out to production companies.  No one gets their training there anymore. Sky & CNN do similar news. Attenborough is half deed. Lineker is useful every other year for a month, the rest of their live sport will go to the mouse, Bezos or apple regardless of whether they survive :cuppa:

ok, maybe you won't miss it :lol:

CNN - really? it's as biased as fox

last time i checked, the bbc still offers editorial trainee schemes

do you know of a better current affairs show than newsnight? i would miss it if it were taken away

Do many people like, trust or watch Newsnight anymore? That might be more of a reflection on the general population but of no one cares about it then the quality of the programme is secondary 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I miss it. It went years ago

i agree it is flawed but it still does some brilliant suff and it is an institution worth fighting for.

we are v close to losing it, at which point we will realise what a good thing we had, and the right will have won - they fucking hate auntie

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i agree it is flawed but it still does some brilliant suff and it is an institution worth fighting for.

we are v close to losing it, at which point we will realise what a good thing we had, and the right will have won - they fucking hate auntie

I tend to agree but think it’s a foregone conclusion 

16 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve seen that video and my reaction was “What a pack of cunts” towards the ticket boys kicking fuck out of the blaggers. 

Firstly- kicking people on the deck is a cunt’s trick

Secondly- why do you care? You’ve got your seat, fuck off and enjoy yourself. 

don't disagree with point 1, but re: point 2. The kind of people bumrushing stewards to get access without a ticket aren't going to politely wait for ticketed people to get their seats before finding an empty spot. They'll grab a seat and if someone challenges them they'll act the cunt. Which means the people with tickets can't enjoy themselves.

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I like the wildlife documentaries, and some of the historical ones, they do good stuff there. Beyond that though, politically it's useless and entirely beholden to the sitting government.

And the right hate everything man. If the BBC wants our support and wants people to stand up for it as it goes, it needs to stand up for itself and others first.

The trick with the BBC is that it’s political output is overtly right wing but it’s drama/fiction output is relatively egalitarian/left leaning but the right wing factions are happy for that to be the case because it winds the right wing lads up no end. 

“there a gay on the television, Beryl!!!!!!”

More often than not it strengthens people’s right wing sentiments.

”you can’t say anything nowadays!” Etc 

• Like 2

Everyone piles on to the BBC and it's got it's failings, but fuck me, the alternatives are shocking. ITV? Channel 4? Channel 5 ffs.

Would I pay a subscription for the BBC? Sure, I listen to the radio for hours every day. I use their website. I watch some of their tentpole shows. Definitely worth £13 a month to me. 

What would happen to the other terrestrial channels if the BBC goes subscription? 

• Like 1