Life on Mars

geordieshandy

Last in the series tonight, been a cracking programme with a brilliant sound track to boot.

Didn't think much of the ending but needed to be left open for the second series (next year apparently).

Anyone caught much of this?

Edited by geordieshandy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a really good series but I was fairly gutted with the ending. They should have finished it off and made it a good single series rather than drag it on for what will inevitably be a poorer second series. Oh well.

I never saw a second of it but I think it's safe to say, Quantum Leap TBH

101662[/snapback]

Not at all, no Ziggy in sight.

101670[/snapback]

That's a bit like saying Freinds isn't a Seinfeld clone because Kramer isn't in it.

101662[/snapback]

101670[/snapback]

That's a bit like saying Freinds isn't a Seinfeld clone because Kramer isn't in it.

101674[/snapback]

Are you suggesting Friends is a Seinfeld clone? :lol:

Anyway, in LoM the character has gone back in a timewarp, although there is a strong suggestion he is stck in a lucid dream (being in a coma in reality). However, he is always himself, and doesn't move around time, so it is a bit different really.

101662[/snapback]

101670[/snapback]

101674[/snapback]

Are you suggesting Friends is a Seinfeld clone? :lol:

Anyway, in LoM the character has gone back in a timewarp, although there is a strong suggestion he is stck in a lucid dream (being in a coma in reality). However, he is always himself, and doesn't move around time, so it is a bit different really.

101680[/snapback]

I'm not suggesting, I'm stating the fact.

I never watched Quantum Leap either like, it was just Doctor Who repackaged.

Seinfeld is funny too though, that's another difference.

101684[/snapback]

But it's also set in New York, so it's the same.

101685[/snapback]

Are you suggesting Seinfeld didn't revolutionise the American sitcom and that the majority of sitcoms haven't used its formula (or lack of formula) ever since? That all sitcoms were previously based on a conceit, such as a bar, a taxi rank, a military hospital or a family and that Seinfeld changed that, so sitcoms could be about nothing, which Freinds took wholesale and repackaged with better looking, more appealing, less funny actors?

101684[/snapback]

101685[/snapback]

Are you suggesting Seinfeld didn't revolutionise the American sitcom and that the majority of sitcoms haven't used its formula (or lack of formula) ever since? That all sitcoms were previously based on a conceit, such as a bar, a taxi rank, a military hospital or a family and that Seinfeld changed that, so sitcoms could be about nothing, which Freinds took wholesale and repackaged with better looking, more appealing, less funny actors?

101688[/snapback]

Well you've got a point but in no way would I call Friends a clone. I haven't really given it much thought but I suppose Seinfeld did focus on the dynamic of a group of friends, but was it really the first to do this? Plus it did have at least two set locations which accounted for the majority of takes - Jerry's flat or the cafe (again similar to Friends Monica's flat and central perk). However, I can't help thinking the fact that Seinfeld was funny sets it apart from Friends. For me, this was because the humour was different. Friends was situational and tired, whereas Seinfeld was sureal and inspired.

Kramer is in Friends, though he's called Joey, it's var nigh the same character.

My comment about Ziggy was intended to be tongue in cheek. I can see the connection you are trying to make between Life on Mars and Quantum Leap (the time travel thing) but the appeal of the two shows is completely different. Different genres to be honest.

101684[/snapback]

101685[/snapback]

101688[/snapback]

Well you've got a point but in no way would I call Friends a clone. I haven't really given it much thought but I suppose Seinfeld did focus on the dynamic of a group of friends, but was it really the first to do this? Plus it did have at least two set locations which accounted for the majority of takes - Jerry's flat or the cafe (again similar to Friends Monica's flat and central perk). However, I can't help thinking the fact that Seinfeld was funny sets it apart from Friends. For me, this was because the humour was different. Friends was situational and tired, whereas Seinfeld was sureal and inspired.

101704[/snapback]

Happy Days :lol:

Kramer is in Friends, though he's called Joey, it's var nigh the same character.

My comment about Ziggy was intended to be tongue in cheek.  I can see the connection you are trying to make between Life on Mars and Quantum Leap (the time travel thing) but the appeal of the two shows is completely different.  Different genres to be honest.

101707[/snapback]

Just wanted to congratulate you on the use of the phrase "var nigh". :lol:

101684[/snapback]

101685[/snapback]

101688[/snapback]

101704[/snapback]

Happy Days :lol:

101709[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking of tbh. And also, the Fonz = Joey = Kramer.

Life on Mars is basically just a clever way of remaking a 70s police show.  If anything it's a copy of that genre, it's nowt like Quantum Leap.

101717[/snapback]

Well, you could describe it as a parody of the Sweeney, I suppose. Bit more to it than that though, or so I was hoping.