Other Games 21/22: Talk about Actual Football

Ayatollah Hermione

1 hour ago, Toonpack said:

Why would you ever not ??

I also think a WC without Italy, ain’t a World Cup, would say same for Germany, Brazil and Argentina.

Jesus Christ.

Quick, what's the number for HR?

2 hours ago, Craig said:

I don't subscribe to this. If you're not good enough to beat North Macedonia, you have no right being there. Whoever you are. 

It'd be like say the Premier League without Manchester United or Liverpool isn't the Premier League. 

Completely different, world cup is every 4 years and a short "festival of football" (albeit with a lot of turgid shite thrown in).

Maybe I'm just coloured by my age. Back when I really loved the world cup, it was the first time you'd ever heard of, never mind seen, many of the players who came out of nowhere and were just "wow" !! See all the "stars" week in week out these days, few surprises. 

• Like 1

I absolutely loved the 1994 Italy squad.  Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Zola, Costacurta, Albertini, Donadoni.... Never really liked any of their squads since then as much.  And actively disliked them in 2006 and 2010.  Still, I want the World Cup to have the best teams in it, and there's little debate that Italy is one of those teams.  One of the reasons I think there should be fewer spots for Asia, CONCACAF, and CONMEBOL.  

Edited by Zathras

They failed to beat Switzerland, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland and North Macedonia on their way to being dumped out of the WC qualification. That doesn’t happen the best teams.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zathras said:

They've lost two games in the last four years and won the Euros.  

Their qualifying record for this tournament doesn't lie. If they can't beat the teams outlined then they don't deserve to be there.

2 hours ago, Zathras said:

I absolutely loved the 1994 Italy squad.  Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Zola, Costacurta, Albertini, Donadoni.... Never really liked any of their squads since then as much.  And actively disliked them in 2006 and 2010.  Still, I want the World Cup to have the best teams in it, and there's little debate that Italy is one of those teams.  One of the reasons I think there should be fewer spots for Asia, CONCACAF, and CONMEBOL.  

Sure. I do also want the best teams to compete.

Apart from Italy who are diving cunts.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Their qualifying record for this tournament doesn't lie. If they can't beat the teams outlined then they don't deserve to be there.

It's a fair point, but they've literally lost twice in 43 games, whereas Ecuador and Uruguay will qualify having lost six times each during qualification. Hell, Peru might qualify with more losses than wins.

CONMEBOL has the largest margin for error in qualifying.  Africa has the least, then Europe.

Edited to add: 

To be fair, the conditions in South America and Central America and the Caribbean can be really extreme at times.  I do not think European teams would fare tremendously better than most of the South American teams traveling to Quito, La Paz, or Mexico City.  

Edited by Zathras
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Isegrim said:

Apart from Italy who are diving cunts.

One of my all time favorite football songs is one we used in 2006 against Italy:

(To the tune of the Oscar Meyer Wiener jingle)

Oh I'd love to be a f***ing diving wanker

That is what I'd really like to be

For if I were a f***ing diving wanker

I could make my home in Italy

• Haha 4

Italy were in a shite group, managed only four wins from eight games then lost at home to a team previously ranked 67th in the world. People wanked over their performances at the Euros too but they were lucky against Spain and England barely crossed the halfway line after that early goal and they still needed pens  to win. Think they’re obviously a decent side but they’ve had issues with killing off sides for ages now. It’s easier than ever to qualify for major tournaments too 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, Alex said:

Italy were in a shite group, managed only four wins from eight games then lost at home to a team previously ranked 67th in the world. People wanked over their performances at the Euros too but they were lucky against Spain and England barely crossed the halfway line after that early goal and they still needed pens  to win. Think they’re obviously a decent side but they’ve had issues with killing off sides for ages now. It’s easier than ever to qualify for major tournaments too 

It’ll piss me off forever that Southgate didn’t try Sancho, Grealish or any other positive sub earlier to try and catch out their tired legs. I think Saka came on but that was after they had already equalised. Let’s hope he’s learned his lesson because there’s not many managers with more quality options at his disposal at international level these days and he’s going to need to be brave to win a World Cup

• Like 2

On 25/03/2022 at 08:50, ewerk said:

They failed to beat Switzerland, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland and North Macedonia on their way to being dumped out of the WC qualification. That doesn’t happen the best teams.

FOz-Jpqb-Xo-AIx-Ala.jpg

• Haha 4

On 27/03/2022 at 12:31, Tom said:

Maguire :lol: 

Tyrone Mongs come out and said he stopped the ball to give the lads in the middle a breather. So those on social media don't know what they're talking about. 

Oh so why is Henderson having a go at him? 

• Haha 1